Topic: Chord change speed vs. strumming tempo

My chord changing is pretty good but I’ve noticed that it is actually a little better on faster paced songs with quicker chord changes.  It stands to reason that if you can play a fast song and make the chord changes, then on slower paced songs (such as Bruce Springsteen’s Nebraska), chord changes should be seamless.  Well mine are actually more sloppy!  I began to practice slow songs forcing my left hand to change chords faster, and all I do is speed up my strumming at the same time.  I finally realized that I’m stuck at the point where my two hands CAN work independently, but CAN NOT work at different speeds.  Any ideas or exercises to allow the left hand and right hand to work at different speeds?

Thanks

Yee Haw

Re: Chord change speed vs. strumming tempo

That's cool that you noticed that about yourself.  The only thing I can recommend is to practice doing it.  Try doing some standard strumming pattern with a metronome and then do your chord changes differently.  For a while strum a simple 1, 2, 3, 4 all down strokes like your very first day with a guitar.  Keep that strum going and then change chords once per measure (after the 4) and then for a while on each beat (after each number).  Then maybe change your strumming to straight eights (1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &) alternating down and up, change chords at each measure and each beat again (this time the beat is after the &). 

I don't know whether this will work or not, but in my efforts of teaching myself, it's seemed to work well to just force myself to do a lot of what I don't do well.  Except B chords, which I avoid because I don't like them. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Try playing something like The Jam's "That's Entertainment"
You've got to feel the rhythm of the song to play it properly. You don't want to sound like a robot.

interesting point that i noticed with my playing, i was thinking maybe the fast strumming was hiding my errors but my chord changing seemed ok but not so good at slow speed.whilst im here cud someone gimme the strumming pattern to thats entertainment id b very grateful thanks:)