Topic: New member with a question for the ladies!

Hi,
I have just joined, and spent most of yesterday reading previous forum posts, till my butt went numb from sitting at the computer :-) Such an amazing resource of information, and fantastic folk willing to share their knowledge, wisdom, frustrations and experiences.
I have been learning for about 5 months and doing better than I thought I would, to be honest!
My question is not meant to be sexist, but is pretty female specific, in as much that I am a, well...I don't know how to put it politely, but lets say, erm.... busty lady I have found it very difficult to get a good position for my guitar. For health reasons I can't stand for long periods either.
I can get comfortable, but from a 'correctness' point of view my playing posture is awful.
Has anyone else had problems with this?, and should I worry about being correct, and getting into bad habits, or just do it my own way?
Cheers.

Without art we are but monkeys with car keys.

Re: New member with a question for the ladies!

OHMYGAWSH SISTA!
i feel ya
just do it how it works
i choose music over boobs
haha
big_smile

~emilyy jo~

in the accoustic section on here there is a thread called "injury" - may not be a lot of help in itself - but certainly makes you realise that you are not alone in problems with the guitar etc...

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

Worry - because if you are sitting in an awkward position you will develop aches and pains because you will be concentrating on playing and forget to move around for an hour!. Seriously  consider looking at a guitar that is slimmer or smaller bodied - I have a plastic bowl back Crafter electroacoustic which is very comfortable and sounds good unplugged. Good luck!

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

Fáilte Lunamoon,

Well this Old Doll knows about this situation! First of all did you know our
Body Trophies" Have wonderful marketing abilities!..These babies sell anything from beers,
cars, motor bikes magazines etc.
Speaking of babies! I ofton felt id be better off with a twin baby stroller/ buggy to carry mine. More support
and comfort.
I have heard the voices of Men echo down my cleaveage over my lifetime, when saying " Hello" They
{ Men } seem to get a dysfunction in there brain by mistakenly talking to my bosom instead of my Face. lol

Also, the have names for them like , Jugs, Noggins, Hooters, Baps, Maracas, Boobs, Big Mammas, Knockers,  Boobies
also "Soft Toys for Boys., Cushions, etc.

I dont believe they ever think of the painful process of Mammograms.
when our trophies are pressed between to steel plates like cowpats. Ouch.. I suggest the try Penisgrams to show solidarity to there Sisters!.

Lunamoon! Holy Moly,  Did ya see that rush to be first on the queue? lol lol

I got all sorts of pains when practising for some time with my guitar. It seems the instrument is to faraway
like on a balcony somehow. I tried all ways of sitting to be comfortable. I also tried to rest them on top like Dolly Parton.  See mine are natural, and mine  dont have Miss Partons boob ability to stay put!

I also tried standing Yikes!! One could drive a double decker bus under the trophies and guitar. 
In the comfort of my own home i can let them do there own thing bra less,  aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh Bliss.

So I sit when i play.  I also bought a smaller guitar. I do try to sit as straight as i can to not have pains in my shoulders.  {I never hear anyone here talk about the indentation the guitar leaves on your leg?}

My other suggestion is to be fitted for your bras. I assure you this makes a huge difference.
expensive but worth it. 
DO NOT LET THe stores people" TALk YOU INTO MINIMISER's " These only Flatten to the front! You end up with them under your arms,  This process also  Makes your bosoms  look wider then a low loader truck. lol

Good support for your trophies is the answer.  Now everyone knows why i only play in the comfort of my own home!

Good Luck Lunamoon, { Lovely Name }

Ps. Water Nymph is my fave!!.

PPS. Eh! Sorry Lads, any of you brave enough to join in here?

Slán

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

nice one old doll - i now know more about the female than i ever would have without chordie ! i will never look at a woman guitar player the same way again .... nicely done ....

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

sorry,
I am not a woman but have you thought of getting a thinnner guitar or playing electric?
I would think that would give more room for your arm to get in front of the guitar with more freedom to strum.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I like the thing that Dolly does, oh yeah, I like it a lot !!!!!
Sorry 'bout that.................couldn't resist.   ;>/

Give everything but up.

Thanks for the replies!
Like you, Old doll mine are also home grown, not surgically enhanced. I do spend a small (or should that be a large, fortune on bras, as the high street do not stock my size so I do get them properly fitted. They have to be properly caged at all times :-). I agree minimizer bras are a joke..lets face it, it all has to go somewhere, and trying to hide it under your arms is not a good look!
I have got used to people addressing my chest instead of my face... I have often thought of learning ventriloquism, so I could throw my voice and have my boobs answer them!

I am quite little at only 5ft 2, (it's a wonder I don't topple over!) so there is not a lot of space between my chest and the rest of me to fit a guitar, especially when sitting down.
Probably a smaller guitar would eventually be a good idea, but finances prevent that at the moment.
I shall continue to experiment with positions. Mine are quite well behaved, so may give the resting them on top a go...seems to be a popular idea... from a visual point of view at least!

Sorry to all the guys for the girl talk (though I suspect some of you may not be adverse to it :-) )
Cheers

Lunamoon

Without art we are but monkeys with car keys.

Old Doll, when you look at the shape of an acoustic guitar you see a "hour glass" shape. Have you ever tried holding your guitar vertically, placing your "Ladybumps", one on each side at the narrowest point, then rotating the guitar to a horizontial position. This would place one of your "Pillows" on top and one the bottom of your guitar. The mental image of this I have looks like it just might work and it could eliminite the need of a strap. I sure hope this post doesn't "rub you" the wrong way but I am just trying to help.

Nela

Lunamoon, please read the post I made under "Injuries" concerning your "Boobs". I read that prior to this post and I have offered my services to help you with your "Boobs". Now don't get me wrong as I am only making this offer due to my affection for "Boobs". If I can be of any help, in getting you to too where  you are able to play guitar in a "Perky" manner, it will put a smile on my face.

Nela

Nela

Nela,

Thank You so much for the boob placement tips. I've been up and down

all night trying to get the position right! Around daylight my boobs finally nestled into position.

Nela! i am now making a career change thanks to you.   I have applied to join "Circus De Ole!

My new name is "Guitar Booby" lol Very soon Sir you will see my pic on this site.

http://www.familyoldphotos.com/circus/index.htm .

Dont fret now "Nela The Fella with all the uplifting tips. I will email you in good time
when we visit L O U S I A
Complimentary Front row position you deserve to see  These "LadyBumps" { Another new name For them }
doing there thing.

One big sunny salute to ya from the Emerald.

Im away now to get my ladybumps back into position. lol

Slán,

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Just trying to help like any good "CHORDIE" member, should.

Nela

Helloooo Ladies.....and Men (probably more watching this thread than we will ever know!)

I have exactly the same "home grown"problem.  It's so bad for me that I could'nt even attempt to play golf, I mean if you grip the club properly, where are the Ladies supposed to go?   I can't see because they end up right in my face!  to combat this problem while playing guitar, I use a combination of soloutions.   
First....proper support (can't say enough about that) second....I specifically bought a slimline guitar.  Originally, I was loving the sound quality of a seagull but the body was so big, that combined with the ladies (the guitar was too big for them to sit on the top) I couldn't reach around far enough to be able to play.  I finally settled on an Ibanez accoustic/electric AEF series, because the body of the guitar is quite slim.   Last but not least, I find that my playing position has to be of a more classical guitar style.   I rest the body of the guitar on my left knee, but also in a more upright position, and to help me do this I use a foot stool to rest my foot on and raise up my knee and guitar to be able to have proper position to fret properly.

Hope this helps your ladies find a more comfortable position to play!