Topic: For UPYERKILT

Ken, this is about WHISKY.
Scottish people have of course the BEST WHISKY.
But don't the Irish people claim the same? They call it WHISKEY.
IRELAND +USA = WHISKEY
SCOTLAND + CANADA = WHISKY

Why the difference in name? WHO were first in producing WHISK(E)Y, and the ingredients?
What about American WHISKY? Is the name PROTECTED? like Champagne? In France it is remarkable, you own a vineyard and you have the right to name your product CHAMPAGNE.
On the other side of the road, having the same soil, it is not registered as Champagne, since a few months they expanded the "champagne territory"

It's confusing, BOURBON, WHISKY, WHISKEY

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: For UPYERKILT

Lieven
I was thinking of looking this up in google and pretending to be very brainy and knowlegable, but i wont, I dont mind being wrong sometimes. I dont mind people telling me i am wrong if i am and not just in their opinion.

I am thinking whisky actually never started anywhere in the west but actually in the far east, it has however been made famous mostly from Scotland.
I think the different spellings with whisky and whiskey is something to do with scottish gaelic and irish gaelic. Whisky is a gealic word and translated into english means " the water of life"
Irish gaelic is pronounced "gay lick" where Scots gaelic is pronounced "Ga Lick"

I do like Irish whiskies, or the ones I have tried I like. But I do much prefer the scottish malts, particularly the speyside malts and highland malts. I find them easier to drink, easier than the island malts that are very peaty, smokey, strong tasting. But you can get a lot of very nice peaty malts ( I just cannot drink enough to get drunk on it, but one or two glasses is nice)

As for american whiskies or even canadian ones, I do not class these as whisky or whiskey. The ones I have tried are a far different taste from what scotland and ireland produce, they seem a lot harsher to the throat and are much better diluted wit ha fizzy drink. Also they can be very very sweet, toooooo sweet.

And another thing about whisky ,lol. Last years international whisky winner was "Tallisker" one of the songle malts from the isle of Islay ( biggest whisky producing island, and thats whith most of their distilleries closed down now), a nice tasting smokey whisky.
BUT this year is not even a scottish whisky, nor is it an Irish whiskey, and no way is it an american whisky, whiskey,bourbon,mash etc. Oh nO, this years winner is from Japan!!!!! a japanese whisky!!! Canny remember the name but it is about £80 a bottle.

What is the world coming to? a scottish whisky winning an award that should ( in my view) be scottish every year.:lol:
I think highland park won it a couple of years ago, a whisky from the shetlands. One of my favourites.

as for the ingredients, Barley,yeast and no idea what else,lol, but they ferment it like a wine i think then distill it and produce whisky lol
Apart from me loving the stuff and doing the odd whisky tour ye think I would remember more about how it is made. And not only that, I grew up for 2o years of my life with Auchentoshian distillery literally at the bottom of my garden, my fence was their fence ( with a big hole in it)
I loved the smell coming from it. Other neighbours hates it and closed their windows, I used to go to bed and open my window to let the smell whaft in.

Ok,
I think  Iwill end this now lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Bourbon is made only in Kentucky.  A liquor made anywhere else from the same ingredients and process is called Sour Mash, unless it's Tennessee, in which case it's Tennessee whiskey unless they want to use Sour Mash in Tennessee. 

It's all good though.  Elijah Craig 12 year  is my current favorite ever since Jack Daniels reduced their alcohol by volume from 45 percent to 43 percent and then finally to 40 percent.  When it went to 40 percent, I stopped buying Jack Daniels automatically and started sipping other brands.  I found the Elijah Craig 12 year is inexpensive, delicious, and 43.5 percent alcohol by volume (aka 87 proof). 

I don't know about Irish whiskey.  The only Canadian whisky I've had and enjoyed was Crown Royal, and I enjoy it just a little too much most times it's available.  As far as Scotch, I've a friend who informs me its uisge and not Whiskey or Whisky.  I don't know about that, but I sure do love a bit of Glenlivet with a chill put on it. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Oh, Ken, you should try a good quality bourbon or sour mash on ice with just a couple drops of lime juice in it. 

They are sweet, though, that's for sure.  Bourbon is aged in an oak cask that has been burned on the inside.  I heard on a tour once that the burning gets rid of the nasty things like tar and creosote, and then the alcohol gets into the wood grain and picks up some of the alcohol soluble flavorings available in it much like wine aged in oak without picking up the nasty flavors of tar and creosote.  I don't know if that's true, it's just what I remember hearing (and my memory's only so-so).  Of course, American white oak is used rather than French oak.  American oak has a stronger, harsher flavor than French oak, but the sweetness of the mash stands up to it just fine, unlike wine.  I don't like Chardonnay aged in American white oak.  It's like sucking on a twig.  Blech!  But a nice glass of bourbon on ice with just a touch of lime, or maybe even some ginger ale (for the bubbles you mentioned) and it's smooth sailing and sweet picking until bed-time. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Takisker is from Skye, Ken. Sorry to butt in.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

There are only two kinds of whiskey,  there's whiskey and Good whiskey,  there ain't no bad whiskey.

Hey Zurf,  If you have Costco, or Trader Joe's near you, they sometimes have Great buys on Single Malt Scotch, In Store lables.  TJ's had 18 year old Macallen for under $50 a bottle.  (it retails at bevmo for $140)  They usually go quick.
I'll have to try the Elijah Craig.

I've got both of them, but neither is permitted to sell hard liquor in Virginia, only beer and wine.  The Costco prices on beer and wine aren't much better than the large grocery store chains.  Trader Joe's on the other hand has awesome prices on wine and beer. 

Hard liquor is in Virginia at Alcohol Beverage Control (ABC) stores that are owned and managed by the Commonwealth.  It works surprisingly well, except for the lack of competition.  Still, the prices are comparable to what I see in competitive stores in Maryland and West Virginia.  What you DO get in exchange for a lack of competition is an excellent selection of liquors at reasonable (but never good) prices in even the most podunk little towns where river paddlers often find themselves feeling thirsty. 

In fact, you should probably come here - looks like our Scotch prices are lower than yours.  The 18 y.o. Macallen 750ml bottle is usually around $60 rather than $140.  12 y.o. is around $42.  I never could taste the extra six years.  Still, $42 is too much for me to pay for Scotch when I can get a bourbon I like for a lot less.  I've got a neighbor who's got a Scotch closet.  If I ever really need a dram, I can beg. 

1.75L Elijah Craig 12 y.o. is usually around $28!!!  That's right a whole liter of booze more than the competitors for a lower price than their 750ml bottles.  A 750ml bottle of JD is a little over $30 and a 1L will set you back about $45.  The magazine ads aren't that good.   

- Zurf

alvee33 wrote:

geezo, Al,
I knew that ,lol. I had that many things going through my head at the time of typing. Talisker is the only malt whisky to come from Skye. but it is talisker, not takisker, lol, sorry for correcting you too, lol  ( I love typos)

And Zurf, I shall try a sour mash with ice and lime sometime.

I used to drink J.D a lot wen i was in my late teens and early 20's but when going up the hills with a heavy enough rucksack I dont like the idea of carrying extra weight such as coke to go with it. So after drinking whisky and lemonade also I had to teach my taste buds to accept that whisky and water is the best way to go. Then after maybe about a year of not drinking J.D then trying it again, it was just minging, then i tried a southern comfort, another i used to drink wit hlemonade but again too sweet and minging for my taste buds.

Now, a very good whisky liquor is Glayva!!! own its own with ice. It is sweet but a nice sweetness. Or have a "rusty nail" glayva and another whisky mixed in with ice.

Ken

Oh my... whiskey/whisky/bourbon talk.... I do think I will like it here!

I'm currently sipping on my favorite; Makers' Mark.  While I do appreciate Elijah, he does something to me that prevents me from getting up in the morning (heh)...  and yes, Zurf, the best way to drink some bourbons is with a splash of water and a squeeze of lime.  Its the only way I can get Jack down these days (tho Gentlemen's Jack goes rather nice).

I'm not much of a whiskey/whisky kind of gal, tho all tell me I should be.   What is the difference between scotch and whiskey?  I was fortunate enough ONCE to have a sip of Johnny Walker Blue, and let me tell you... pure manna!

_debs_

JustDeb wrote:

Oh my... whiskey/whisky/bourbon talk.... I do think I will like it here!

I'm currently sipping on my favorite; Makers' Mark.

_debs_

Wow, a woman who enjoys a fine whiskey is a rare thing indeed. A good friend of mine (a Kentuckian) introduced me to Makers' Mark many years ago and it has been my go to sippin whiskey ever since.

Deb - do you cook? do you do the other thing? - I may propose, but I have to know if you do the other thing well

....... I mean do you iron big_smile

My wife won't iron so I am thinking about trading her in (this is a secret don't tell her)

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jll0LloLurY  zurf heres a little booze song for you a drinking mutant lol 

Zurf wrote:

Bourbon is made only in Kentucky.  A liquor made anywhere else from the same ingredients and process is called Sour Mash, unless it's Tennessee, in which case it's Tennessee whiskey unless they want to use Sour Mash in Tennessee. 

It's all good though.  Elijah Craig 12 year  is my current favorite ever since Jack Daniels reduced their alcohol by volume from 45 percent to 43 percent and then finally to 40 percent.  When it went to 40 percent, I stopped buying Jack Daniels automatically and started sipping other brands.  I found the Elijah Craig 12 year is inexpensive, delicious, and 43.5 percent alcohol by volume (aka 87 proof). 

I don't know about Irish whiskey.  The only Canadian whisky I've had and enjoyed was Crown Royal, and I enjoy it just a little too much most times it's available.  As far as Scotch, I've a friend who informs me its uisge and not Whiskey or Whisky.  I don't know about that, but I sure do love a bit of Glenlivet with a chill put on it. 

- Zurf

"Growing old is not for sissies"

U-Y-KILT

Well done for such an even-handed approach to a controversial subject!

The oldest whiskey in the world is reputed to be Bushmills, an Irish whiskey that is celebrating 400 years of whiskey making from the same water - this very year. King Kames 1 provided the original licence to distil in 1608. As usual, however I'm sure the authorities only caught on late to a flourishing local industry. Why not help us celebrate it's birthday?

It is made here in Northern Ireland in a small village that looks out onto the wild North Atlantic. Just a few months ago, Bushmills twinned with Louisville, Kentucky. Louisville has a population of 256,231 compared to the 1,319 inhabitants of Bushmills.

I like a Jim Beam - white - but my main wet is the Bushmills Original. Of course you could try making your own ( http://www.homedistiller.org/ ) which is illegal in most parts of the world.

As for who invented distilling, I assume it was some poor chinese guy who failed to get his patent in on time. We should have a "World Whiskey Guy" day to honour him - we'd have to be sure to spell it right, of course ! We could have an international festival of Irish, Scottish and American songs about whiskey.

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

Tahnk you Alan for that info,

I work in a printers factory where we print the labels for bushmill. Next run it is on I will read it see if it mentions this on the label, if not then it should!
We print loads upon loads of whisky labels for company's like ballantines, chivas, and the biggest Diageo. as well as a few more.
I could have a very large collection of different whisky and wine lables, but i will keep my hobby to playing the guitar.

Ken

14 (edited by Zurf 2008-05-02 13:13:20)

OK Mixster, I had my brands mixed up.  It's Glenlivet I usually drink in Scotch, not Macallan.  The bottle of Macallan you mentioned was priced at $169 as of last night in our store, so it looks like I'll have to go to California and buy enough booze while there for the savings to pay for the trip.  Which will take a lot because I'll have to rent a truck to get it home to Virginia.

Ken, There is no need to add anything to Southern Comfort.  In the winter, I drink it straight from the bottle (well, actually from a glass, but that's filled straight from the bottle with no mixers).  In the summer, I chill it down by pouring it over ice and then draining back out into my glass.  It is sweet beyond reason, but sometimes I like that.   Like, right now, for instance.  Nah.  It's only 9AM on a work day.  I'll wait for a more reasonable time.

JustDeb, Makers Mark is some of the finest bourbon style whiskey I've had.  I don't recall if it's a sour mash or a bourbon by proper definition, but it is delicious nevertheless.  Perhaps the best I've ever had.  It is also more expensive than Elijah Craig.  Me being a cheapskate, I can forgo a bit of taste for a lot of savings, especially because I usually mix with a dash of ginger ale and a couple drops of lime juice.  No sense buying expensive booze only to mix it with something.  But you surely do have good taste in whiskey, there is no doubt about that. 

Still, when all is said and done, the Scots make the best whisky.  Stupid exchange rate.

- Zurf

Russell_Harding wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jll0LloLurY  zurf heres a little booze song for you a drinking mutant lol

Seems I've got a chord chart of that song sitting right here on my desk.  If it weren't for the B chord in the chorus, it'd be the perfect new old-style country song.  I'm not real excited about having to learn C#m either, but I'm going to.  The F# might just get extended a bit when I play it, which I will claim as an arrangement on A Few Too Many by Russell 'the mutant' Harding. 

Hey, love the hat.  That's sharp!  The band is nice.  I've got a hand-made brown leather bent-brim cowboy hat with a similar hatband, but the conchos are smaller and not nearly as pretty. 

- Zurf

let me work on a capo alternative and see what i can come up with smile

Zurf wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

Seems I've got a chord chart of that song sitting right here on my desk.  If it weren't for the B chord in the chorus, it'd be the perfect new old-style country song.  I'm not real excited about having to learn C#m either, but I'm going to.  The F# might just get extended a bit when I play it, which I will claim as an arrangement on A Few Too Many by Russell 'the mutant' Harding. 

Hey, love the hat.  That's sharp!  The band is nice.  I've got a hand-made brown leather bent-brim cowboy hat with a similar hatband, but the conchos are smaller and not nearly as pretty. 

- Zurf

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Thanks!  In the meanwhile, you've given me good cause to face the evil B chord and force it to submit to my will - or at least to find an easy cheat.  I'm thinking to play with someone who's a better picker than I am and just drop my pick or slip on the neck of the guitar when the B comes around and let the other guy carry on until I can come back in on the A. 

- Zurf

18 (edited by alvee33 2008-05-02 17:37:38)

upyerkilt wrote:
alvee33 wrote:

geezo, Al,
I knew that ,lol. I had that many things going through my head at the time of typing. Talisker is the only malt whisky to come from Skye. but it is talisker, not takisker, lol, sorry for correcting you too, lol  ( I love typos)

Jings! I love this thread! Looks like one too many haufs for me there....

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Zurf - "the Scots make the best whisky." Now that is fightin' talk, Sir. U-Y-KILT was as nice as nice , but you have to go and spoil it !

Do I remember talking in a previous thread about Lagavulin being like chewing peat, or is that just  the whiskey talking?

Thanks for the warm welcomes... music and whiskey/bourbon do go together rather well (sometimes too well ;-) )

I'm thinking about expanding my horizons and trying some Irish and Scotch whiskey/whisky---and this weekend sounds about as good as any.  I'll post my findings :-D

_debs_

alansheeran wrote:

Zurf - "the Scots make the best whisky." Now that is fightin' talk, Sir. U-Y-KILT was as nice as nice , but you have to go and spoil it !

Do I remember talking in a previous thread about Lagavulin being like chewing peat, or is that just  the whiskey talking?

Anytime you're ready for it!  Just make sure that you've had a lot to drink before we start and can't see straight or have any balance to speak of because I really need all the advantage I can get. 

For day to day, I'm all about the bourbon or sour mash, but when it comes to a special treat, well chewing on peat's not so bad. 

- Zurf

lol  lol   lol
Irish Whiskey = from a GAY LICK word UISCE BEATHA
Scottish Whisky = from a GA LICK word USQUEBAUGH
GAY-LICK lol  lol  lol  big_smile
Isn't language beautiful, probably same tribes, one moving to Ireland and the other in Scotland.
I've been "fascinated" since years in LANGUAGES, or the ORIGIN of languages. Most of our language is an evolution from INDO-GERMANIC. In INDIA: FATHER= PITAR, in DUTCH = VADER, LATIN = PATER (you see the similarity).
The IRISH-GALLIC word is Uisce (of Uisge) Beatha (uitspraak iesjkje bjaha)
The SCOTTISH - GALLIC = Usquebaugh, both meaning WATER OF LIFE.
In Danmark: AQUAVIT, in France: eau-de-vie.
I am surprised to have so many responses.
I went to a whisky distillery in SCOTLAND, I was told there that the WATER was important too, but most funny was when they opened a huge wash back, and breathing with your head over the edge, Jesus, my daughter 7 years old couldn't walk after inhaling, and we were "high".

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

"Anytime you're ready for it!  Just make sure that you've had a lot to drink before we start and can't see straight or have any balance to speak of because I really need all the advantage I can get. "

Sounds good to me! We should of course appoint seconds who will have to be in a similar inebriated condition. Any takers ?

Guitar Doc - actually the gallic is a varient of the Irish spoken in North East Ulster. The Kings of Dal Riada, known as the Scotti, spread from Antrim to Inverness, I imagine they took their good looks with them as well as their propensity to drink and hairy knees.

Kenneth McAlpine, first King of Scotland ( if I remember correctly ) was descended from this line of Irish Kings. Interestingly the Stone of Scone on which the Kings of England sit to be crowned was originally McAlpine's coronation stone and came originally from Ireland. We are not asking for it back, by the way.

alansheeran wrote:

"Kenneth McAlpine, first King of Scotland ( if I remember correctly ) was descended from this line of Irish Kings. Interestingly the Stone of Scone on which the Kings of England sit to be crowned was originally McAlpine's coronation stone and came originally from Ireland. We are not asking for it back, by the way.

there are many stories about the stone of scone AKA stone of destiny. I have heard it was originally from Ireland but also I have heard it was a present from an egyptian king.
There is also a rumour that when King Edward the first, hammerer of the scots decided to take this stone away to make the scottish feel like they were now powerless against him and could not crown any more kings unless it was under him, it has been said that the stone he took away is not the real stone but in fact a cover for a sewer pit, a lid for a cludgie lol and with those two handles on the top this might well be right.
Also when some students stole the stone it is also a rumour that the stone that was returned was a replica and the original one they had stolen is in a secret location near Scone. A friend of a friend of a cousin of a friend said the stone they have now has a document inside it saying it is fake.
there are so many stories about this lunp of brick I dont think anyone will really know for sure what is real and what is not.
But I do know that the lowland whisky Bladnoch 15 year old is a very excellent whisky. lol
absolutely nothing to do with Scone, lol

Ken

alansheeran wrote:

"Anytime you're ready for it!  Just make sure that you've had a lot to drink before we start and can't see straight or have any balance to speak of because I really need all the advantage I can get. "

Sounds good to me! We should of course appoint seconds who will have to be in a similar inebriated condition. Any takers ?

Guitar Doc - actually the gallic is a varient of the Irish spoken in North East Ulster. The Kings of Dal Riada, known as the Scotti, spread from Antrim to Inverness, I imagine they took their good looks with them as well as their propensity to drink and hairy knees.

Kenneth McAlpine, first King of Scotland ( if I remember correctly ) was descended from this line of Irish Kings. Interestingly the Stone of Scone on which the Kings of England sit to be crowned was originally McAlpine's coronation stone and came originally from Ireland. We are not asking for it back, by the way.

You misunderstand me.  I intend to be fully sobor while you are inebriated.  How am I supposed to win if we're on equal footing?  You'd kick my butt!  That seconds thing is a good idea.  We could let them settle it while we drank to their health at a nearby pub.  Shoot, they could do the same thing at the pub next door to ours and just make up a story about who won.  That'd be best for everybody involved I think. 

- Zurf