Topic: What style do you love to play?

I know everyone has a prefered style they love to play, i.e. Acoustic guitar - Open Chords, Barre Chords, Finger Picking, classic acoustic playing ... Electric guitar - Open Chords, Solo'ing, Barre Chording, Power Chords, etc. ... and then there's the genre you love to play, i.e. Classic Rock, Country, Folk, Metal, etc

What style do you like to play?  What genre do you love playing the most?

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

2 (edited by Tibernius 2008-05-05 14:26:19)

Re: What style do you love to play?

Acoustic: Open Chords and Barre Chords. Mainly "Alternative Rock" or "College Rock", stuff like R.E.M. and Coldplay, some Stereophonics if I can actually play it.

Electric: Power Chords and Barre Chords. "Alternative Rock", "Punk-Rock", "Ska-Punk". Mainly Less Than Jake, Ash, Feeder, Green Day.

I can't play lead guitar at all. I'm terrible at it. I'm practicing it anyway though.

I prefer the fuller sound of Barre chords. I guess my style would be percussive as I like to add alot of taps and chops to my music. I like the added sustain of open chords for some songs though. I'm also playing alot of fingerpicking at the moment (Ben Harper and James Taylor).  I play about 90% acoustic but even when playing electric I very seldom use power chords. Sweet Jane and Outside Looking In by Staind are the only songs I can think of that I play power chorded...

As Far as my preffered genre... Let's take yesterday for example... Sitting around playing I played Several Jack Johnson tunes ( Go On, Sittin Waiting Wishing, Gone, Flake Banana Pancakes, If I had Eyes, If I could, Rodeo Clowns, Breakdown and so forth..) Played a few by Animal liberation Orchestra (Girl I Wanna Lay You Down and Plastic Bubble) Played some Sublime, OCMS, Jimmy Buffet, Donovan Frankenreiter, Verve Pipe, Third Eye Blind, BNL, Harper, Drivin' n' Cryin', Everlast, James Taylor, Oasis, etc... As you can tell I spent all day yesterday outside sitting in the shade with the guitar...lol That should give you a good Idea of my preferred genre though. Sorry for the long responce smile As you can tell I'm a little bored at the moment...Peace! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Open chords, finger style, sissified 70's folk/pop on a folk style acoustic.   I don't do true covers, but rather interpretations on covers.  It turns out that those professional musicians that write the songs and perform them are really talented, while I am not.  Therefore, I simplify songs and to them the way I feel like it, which means everything winds up sounding pretty much exactly the same.  So really, I play one song with about 90 different titles and sets of lyrics. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Guitarpix ... how many hours are in your day bro?!? lol ... that's a darn Woodstock show!  But I like the Drivinn N Cryin ... they are AWESOME for modern rock/acoustic type stuff ... alot of peeps dont know about them ... they remind me alot of The Black Crowes type stuff ... "Straight to Hell" is my fav or "Lets Go Dancing"

Tibernius ... what's Ska-Punk?  Is it skater punk?  You must love Social Distortion then ... I love they're songs ... I worked on five songs this weekend that came out great smile

Zurf ... so you play alot of Steelers Wheels, Simon and Garfunkel, Bob Segar type stuff?

I still can't play Barre Chords so for all my Acoustic sets it's all open chords (Major, minors, 7ths) ... for my electric stuff I maily stay on Power Chords for everything ... I just now realized that I can apply them to any Major Chord formation ... I'm just glad I haven't encountered songs that I need to figure a PC formation for a 7th, etc

James Taylor, Jimmy Buffett, The Eagles, Gordon Lightfoot, Cat Stevens, Steve Goodman, John Prine, John McCutcheon, Johnny Cash (decidedly NOT sissified, however), Bob Dylan.  My Songbook is public.  If you go into Songbooks and search on Zurf, you'll see a lot of what I play (plus a lot of what I aspire to play).  I've also got songs from Selso, Last Rebel, James McCormack, Russell Harding, and Jets 60 printed out from the Songwriting forum in my printed songbook. 

I don't do justice to any of them, but music is supposed to be fun, and that's the attitude I bring to playing. 

I recently played a 12-string at a music shop.  The tolerances were very tight - it was an extremely well set up guitar and barre chords were SO much easier.  I'm thinking of biting the bullet and taking my el-cheapo (but best I've got) 6 string in for a set up.  It came from the factory set up for ultralight strings, but ultralight strings sound tinny and awful on the guitar.  The light strings I use pull a bit more than the ultralights and have a bit too much 'tolerance' from the frets.  I hate the thought of going a week without my guitar while the luthier sets it up, but it's probably the right thing to do. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Tim0473 wrote:

Tibernius ... what's Ska-Punk?  Is it skater punk?  You must love Social Distortion then ... I love they're songs ... I worked on five songs this weekend that came out great smile

Have a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ska_punk

I never can explain the different styles of music. I can't even remember them half of the time. hmm

I'd never heard of Social Distortion...just had a look on youtube and they definitely sound like the same style. I can't believe I'd never heard of them... hmm

Wow ... you'd definitely like them smile  http://www.socialdistortion.com/

They're the punk rock mode ... I had never listened to them before one of their songs turned up on Guitar Hero and I fell in love with em ... listen to "Story of My Life" and "Don't Take Me for Granted" ... you wont be sorry smile

Yep, looks like I'll have to buy some more CDs... big_smile

I first heard Less Than Jake on a Playstation game called "Street Skater". Went out and bought one of their albums shortly afterwards.

Lol ... sweet ... I'll have to check out Less Than Jake ... I remember hearing the name but never "heard" them before ... Dropkick Murphys is another Punk Rock band ... though they're a little more "hard core" than SD ... I listened to a few songs of their's today and I'll download em when I get home ... I remember when I first heard "Ruby Soho" from Rancid tongue

I play mostly accoustic,  and play all styles and genres.   I find it more interesting and fun to mix it up a bit.

Tim0473 wrote:

Guitarpix ... how many hours are in your day bro?!? lol ... that's a darn Woodstock show!  But I like the Drivinn N Cryin ... they are AWESOME for modern rock/acoustic type stuff ... alot of peeps dont know about them ... they remind me alot of The Black Crowes type stuff ... "Straight to Hell" is my fav or "Lets Go Dancing"

lol...That's only about 2 1/2 hrs. worth of music. I play on average 3 hrs a day and on weekends that easily reaches 6-7hrs of playtime! Music really has become my life since I picked up the guitar...lol

Yea Drivin' n' Cryin' s great! My favorites/The ones I play are Straight to hell, Honeysuckle Blue, With The People, Peacemaker, and Fly Me Couragous. They used to perform alot here in my younger days and their concerts were always the place to be! Peace!-Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I find it hard to define what style i favor because I enjoy many differen't forms I like what I write the best because I know how to play it, Im not much good at cover songs I tend to express them or change them to what I like them to sound like im not a note for note copy technition its to regemented I favor a more free expressive style not that I couldent play the licks if i wanted to I read some classical music thats as structured as I care to get

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hey Russ ... I know you normally dont do covers ... but alot of songs I love such as Silent Lucidity by Queensryche or Dust in the Wind by Kansas sound simply amazing ... I imagine you do picking songs like that yes?

Pix ... I might have to look into Fly Me Courageous ... love that song but I've never looked at it for playability ... but in regards to Straight To Hell, a co-worker of mine came over to play (he plays bass) and me and my buddie jammed with him (he usually only plays heavy metal) ... we had him try out that song while we played acoustics and he loved it ... now he said he plays that one all the time lol

Tim I have played "Dust in the wind" its a finger style picking. very nice song there were a few songs in my younger days where you had to play the note for note or you were not concidered a good guitarist hense not hired but that neanderthal reasoning vanished as quickly as the bands who played them

Tim0473 wrote:

Hey Russ ... I know you normally dont do covers ... but alot of songs I love such as Silent Lucidity by Queensryche or Dust in the Wind by Kansas sound simply amazing ... I imagine you do picking songs like that yes?

Pix ... I might have to look into Fly Me Courageous ... love that song but I've never looked at it for playability ... but in regards to Straight To Hell, a co-worker of mine came over to play (he plays bass) and me and my buddie jammed with him (he usually only plays heavy metal) ... we had him try out that song while we played acoustics and he loved it ... now he said he plays that one all the time lol

A buddie of mine was learning Dust in the Wind and he's into the finger picking now ... he likes it alot ... it does sound amazing though ... was it hard for you to learn the picking ?

17 (edited by Russell_Harding 2008-05-07 16:11:46)

no I picked up a book called "Fingerstyle"by lou manzi it came with a cd for each lesson and cost around $24.00 or you could get the book only for $12.50 after I was halfway through the lessons "dust in the wind,the boxer" were easy to pick and some merle travis and chet atkins plus a slew of other fine guitarist james taylor,leo kottke,rycooder as well as lightning hopkins and many more it was a bargin and I have been able to incorporate some of what I learned into my own style and songs it was slow going at first but I didn't move to the next lesson untill I could play the one I was on flawlessly and I would review all the lessons from the beginning to where I left off before moving on well it worked for me anyway the book was available at the now bankrupt "Mars Music" and I havent seen it in any music store but im sure its somewhere to be found the publisher is alfred and the national guitar workshop

Sweet ... thanks bro I'll have to check it out since Barrechords still irritate the hell out of me

I love playing Kenstyle

I play folk songs kenstyle, rock songs acoutically kenstyle, I fingerpick kenstyle.

I do kenstyle as I am not very good at any other style lol

I dont really know what my style is.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

upyerkilt wrote:

I dont really know what my style is.

Having heard it Ken I can answer that for you..........

....it's the future! tongue

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

Tim0473 wrote:

I know everyone has a prefered style they love to play, i.e. Acoustic guitar - Open Chords, Barre Chords, Finger Picking, classic acoustic playing ... Electric guitar - Open Chords, Solo'ing, Barre Chording, Power Chords, etc. ... and then there's the genre you love to play, i.e. Classic Rock, Country, Folk, Metal, etc

What style do you like to play?  What genre do you love playing the most?

I Love Folk music and country like Taylor Swift have a look at the songs there great I also love solo'ing and Electric basiclly I just love guitar

Music is life,
Live for it

Blues primarily, but starting to get more and more into jazz...

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.