1 (edited by BBDGus 2008-05-06 05:47:26)

Topic: A Tragic day:-(

well hello every one,

I would like to ask you people what kind of glue is good to fix a guitar

the other day my Kid droped my favorite Guitar from the stand and it cracked from the neck very close from the tuning keys,,
any ways,, the guitar has some sentimental value. not to mention that is very easy to play very well setup,,and sounds great
and I think that with some good glue will be playable again

any tips will be apreciated ,,

by the way if you have kids keep your guitars away  from  stands

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
pardon My English since it's my second lenguage:-)

Re: A Tragic day:-(

Elmers glue and a C clamp, I was In a drunkin stupor and I passed out and fell into my accustic that was leaning against the wall and the next mornning I was horrified to see I had smashed the neck in two so a friend of mine came over and we removed the strings and sanded all the old glue away and re-glued it and put a c clamp on both sides and let it sit for a few days to dry after we removed the clamps and re-strung it, it needed a little truss rod adjustment and its been fine ever since I use it on all my recordings and the intonation is right on but not everyone is as lucky as I was so you might have to seek the help of a pro depending on the severerity of the damage

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hi Gus ,
   I've repaired a lot of accoustic instruments and they are all put together using animal hide glue . They
use this so that they can be taken apart for repairs by simply steaming the glued joints . ( That sounds a little simpler than it is ) . Also , you don't have to clean the old glue out of the joint , because the new glue will reactivate the old glue . I've always used the Franklin premixed stuff .
   Now having said that , if it's a break that you know you will never need to take apart again , I would use any good white wood glue .
ie , Elmers , Franklin , or Titebond they're all good stuff .
    Sounds like this break is in the headstock ? I've repaired a few of those , and they have worked out just fine .........
   You would'nt want to use anything but Hide glue for a neck and body joint repair in case the instrument ever needs a neck reset ........
                    Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Possibly the most famous headstock repair, Jaco Pastorius' 'Bass Of Doom';

http://www.bassplayer.com/pop-up.aspx?c … ion_code=6

Note the veneer sandwich, must have been a nasty break.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Some years ago now, I had a 1970 Martin acoustic which sounded sweet. One nite at a party a drunken fool fell on
the guitar and broke the headstock clean off. I was'nt a
happy camper. I did get if fixed but never stayed in tune.That was the guitar I was learning on and got rid of it
and my playing was delayed by some twenty odd years.
Hope yours works out for you.

Take Care....Badeye.

one caper after another

BBDgus , francais? Italiano? Dutch? Deutsch?
Where do you live on this planet? I am from Belgium
I ordered a GIBSON HUMMINGBIRD IN JULY 2006 ON EBAY!!
Once here,  I discovered a CRACK in the Headstock, my luthier told me that this was a "TYPICAL GIBSON FRACTURE." I don't know, i DO know that when you transport your acoustic, the pressure and a guitar not entirely de-tuned, don't walk hand in hand.
I also noticed that MARTINS or my electric guitars suffer less using the same transport.
I WOULD NEVER TRIE TO GLUE A GUITAR. Most of luthiers have there own mixture.
Am I right GSE? I don't know the glues you mentioned, that's why I let repair every scratch, or other things.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Glues,_adhe … _Glue.html

Check out Stewmac link above not too expencive. 3CF

Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.
Henry Van Dyke