Topic: THE STEP BEFORE TUNING A GUITAR

I've met some friends and contacted some others, and 90% WHICH IS A LOT has problems to change strings by new guitar strings.
You need to change your strings
It is exceptional to see my string like you see it in the store, I have sometimes loops, in fact I always have a problem after I put the string in that hole AND NOT WITH TUNING, BUT ABOUT HOW TO CHANGE A GUITAR STRING.
How does it works, and I AM NOT THE ONLY PERSON, you put the end of a string through a little hole, you pull the end of that string and you start to wind that string and THERE IS MY PROBLEM.
Playing so long and always avoiding to change strings because it sucks in my case.
You take the end of the string and you start to wind it a few times.
Do YOU WIND UNDER THE STRING or ABOVE, or BOTH?
I never have a guitar with new strings like you see in a store, there are sometimes small loops, but at the end my guitar IS IN TUNE but aesthetics?
Please give me a good advise.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

2 (edited by Russell_Harding 2008-05-11 02:54:48)

Re: THE STEP BEFORE TUNING A GUITAR

doc  before I put the string in the hole I measure to the next tunning peg and cut the string that way I know its going to be long enough I put the string in the hole and give it slack and make a bend in the string about half a inch and I bend the string in the opposite direction I turn the peg to tune I do this with all my strings so the e,a,d line up on the right side of the posts and the g,b,e,on the left this way they all go in the grooves at the headstock and you dont have a lot of loose string length to stick you wind each string and with the right hand(if your right handed) pull up and keep tension on the string as you bring it up to pitch do this with all the strings and dont worry about it being right in tune save that for the tunner also the strings will slip a bit and till there stretched you will have to play them and retune a few times till they seat and you should not have any problems after that smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

It is a catastrophe.
I managed to tune a string and I don't care if its correct, probably, definably "arguing" concerning  if the strings are attached. AND YES, the at the correct way. I changed 10 = TEN!!!  some how the rotations
And I am SCARED, really scared
A N D   I   FEELING   S I C K with 39,9°  high fever (= almost 104 °F) and this is killing me.
I tuned the guitar with the set I had, there are some strings who look awful, but it plays

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

doc I hope you get to feeling better soon its hard to concentrate if your feeling under the weather take care smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

5 (edited by Ranger1964 2008-05-19 17:43:17)

Doc,
This video from the Taylor website was VERY helpful for me.  Watch the "Care & Feeding Part 1 and Part 2"

http://www.taylorguitars.com/see-hear/

On the right side of the page there is a box called See/Hear, under that there is an item called Wood&Steel Video Extras.  Click on that item and watch the two features that I mentioned above.  Sorry but there does not appear to be a direct link to the video. 

R

Yee Haw