Topic: Circle of fives in layman's terms please?

Is there some kind soul out there that could explain progressions/circle of fives (I think its called) to me? 

Thankee kindly in advance...

-debs-

Re: Circle of fives in layman's terms please?

I've been doing a little reading on this... But I'm not sure I'm the one to explain it to ya..lol Here's the link I've been using http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/ … mmies.html Hope it helps you some! Peace! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Just deb its called the cycle of fifths an example is C G D A E B F# C# G# D# A#F C if you go backwards from the last C its the cycle of 4ths it all has to do with the major scale take C for example C D E F G A B C __ C is 1 D is the 2nd E is the 3rd F is the 4th G is the 5th so a cycle or (circle) of 5ths is 1 to 5 or C to G to the 5th of the 5th or G to D and so on ect,,, smile

JustDeb wrote:

Is there some kind soul out there that could explain progressions/circle of fives (I think its called) to me? 

Thankee kindly in advance...

-debs-

"Growing old is not for sissies"

It is more appropriately a "circle of intervals."  It's a tool to help you find the intervals for any given key.  Since we play the guitar, we really dig the IV and V of whatever key we're in, so we call it the circle of 5ths.   

As stated, if you start anywhere on the wheel, and call that your root, moving one slot to the right (clockwise) will give you the 5th of that key.  Moving one slot to the left (counterclockwise) will give you the 4th of that key.

But all the other intervals are there, too. 

2nd is two to the right.
3rd is four to the right.
4th we know
5th we know
6th is three to the right
7th is 5 to the right.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Hi JustDeb,
I'm not going to disagree with any of the previous posts.  But I will offer my take on this topic.

Music Theory can seem very confusing and intimidating - but it all makes perfect sense once you learn all the archaic jargon.  People have been fascinated with music for many centuries, so the technical language of Music is ancient and foreign to our ears.

The Circle of Fifths is a useful tool for beginning to understand the relationship between different tones, the structure of chords, and also key signatures.  Here is a Wikipedia article that offers some insight:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_fifths
However, the article gets rather technical . . .

Here is a simpler take on the topic.  The Circle of Fifths is a shortcut for helping to describe lots of technical details.  It is a handy-dandy tool for transposing and for displaying the logic of the key signatures.

While the Wikipedia article itself might not be useful for you, check the links at the bottom to find some interesting sites.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

6 (edited by tonydr 2008-05-14 00:31:30)

I remember a few bass players that would keep a chart of the circle of 5ths to be able to pick up key signatures and play bass lines in any key.
ex: a typical country or 2/4  bass line with the root as the 8th note

8 5 8 5 8 5 8 567 8
or in the key of C:
C G C G C G C GABC

Using the chart they could pick up the right key signature and move the line to any key. 

Of course, I knew just as many bass players that only knew the position on the neck and didn't have a clue what key they were in at any given time. And a few more that didn't know what state they were in, other than altered.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

Thanks to all for your replies!  I realized about an hour after I posted it was fifths, not fives..d'oh!

I've been playing music (violin, piano, melodic percussion) for a couple of decades now, and never really *needed* fifths explained, as on piano its dead easy to find the fifth (or third).  But being new to guitar, I've been trying to actually compose music, and thought that if I could get a "down and dirty" way to learn progressions, that it would make it easier.

As much as I've been fighting it, I think I may have to take some theory lessons on guitar...

Thank you all again!

-debs-

JEROME it may well be called a "circle of intervals" but I was told by my brother a musician for over 65 yrs it was a cycle of 5ths perhaps the terminology had changed as things do but circle is a better discribtion but I first learned it as a cycle of 5ths a rose by any other name is still a rose smile

jerome.oneil wrote:

It is more appropriately a "circle of intervals."  It's a tool to help you find the intervals for any given key.  Since we play the guitar, we really dig the IV and V of whatever key we're in, so we call it the circle of 5ths.   

As stated, if you start anywhere on the wheel, and call that your root, moving one slot to the right (clockwise) will give you the 5th of that key.  Moving one slot to the left (counterclockwise) will give you the 4th of that key.

But all the other intervals are there, too. 

2nd is two to the right.
3rd is four to the right.
4th we know
5th we know
6th is three to the right
7th is 5 to the right.

I learned it as cycle of fifths as well.  I thought I was just getting old.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

If you go one step at a time, it is fifths.  If you go one step at a time counter clockwise, it's fourths.  If you go two steps at a time clockwise,  it's seconds.   If you go three steps at a time clockwise, iths sixths, etc.

It's all in the counting, but every interval is represented.  Not just fifths.

Typically when you run scale excercises, you'll do it in "circle of 5ths" order.  That is, you start at C, move to G, then D, then A, etc...  Which is why we commonly call it "The circle of 5ths."

I think the most important thing is it provides a quick reference for transposistion to any key and after you understand what it is the ease of playing in sharp or flat keys is no longer a mystery and jerome added some important imformation in including 2nds,3rds,ect...in the circle. understanding theory can reduce the time spent searching for the right chord to play in a given key and allow you to progress faster in your study of music and thus play better on your instrument what ever it is, also it aids in arranging vocal parts as well as for other instruments

Yup.

In all honesty, it's the only tattoo I've ever considered putting on my body.  I'd like to get a circle of 5ths on my left palm, so when I'm playing I can cheat.  big_smile

I do think it would be a really cool mother of pearl inlay to put on the body of an acoustic guitar, though.

cool it could also be a band name or album smile

jerome.oneil wrote:

Yup.

In all honesty, it's the only tattoo I've ever considered putting on my body.  I'd like to get a circle of 5ths on my left palm, so when I'm playing I can cheat.  big_smile

I do think it would be a really cool mother of pearl inlay to put on the body of an acoustic guitar, though.