Topic: Pinky callous! Whoo Hoo for me

Alright folks - it has been 8 months since I started my 6 stringed journey and I am happy to report that I officially have a pinky callous on my fretting hand.  I am doing that "bar chord thang" and although my hand has the strength to play them, transitioning to them is still a bit "clunky" to say the least.  However, I am seeing gradual improvement in my abilities.  Just as I thought that going from a G chord to C chord would never be something I could master (which I now have down pretty well), I am sure this will just take time and practice.  "Time and Practice"- those 2 consistent words I have read in just about every post.

Thanks to those that have posted topics that have allowed me grow and develop my guitar skills.  Pretty soon I may actually feel comfortable saying  that I can play guitar.............

Until my next progress report.
P.J.

Acoustic: Yamaha F-310, Washburn WD-32SW

Re: Pinky callous! Whoo Hoo for me

Cool.  Keep up the good work.  I usually say that I play AT guitar.  Kind of in the same boat as you - I have a hard time getting to the barre chords, and they still sound muddy at least half the time.  I'm learning how to apply the right amount of pressure, thanks to the wonderful advice of Chordians. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

3 (edited by brainsaladsurgeon 2008-05-21 14:05:07)

Re: Pinky callous! Whoo Hoo for me

My usual G chord looks like a GBDGDG with a transition to C  (...actually a C9) that looks like GCEGDG.  Great sound in certain songs. There's an easy D (5th) or I'll play a D9 F#ADADE that has a beautiful sound...it is a cool progression and adds lot of flavor to a tune.

As far a trying bar chordes....start with an "E" played with your last three fingers, EBEG#BE Get your thumb on the center of the neck, slide that up one half step, lay your index finger flat across the first fret and play. That would be an "F" ...full and beautiful!!With the "bar" behind it, you can do anything that you would normally do th the "E" chord. Minor, 7th, 9th, anything you want!! Once you have that, then you have it all.

The "A" chord, played with just the ring finger (EAEAC#X), and not picking the 1st string can be done the same way. When you play Minor chords and 7ths even 9ths the 1st string can be played with a full "bar, because it is a natural 5th.

...any help??

peace,
dw

Yeah, I said my dog doesn't bite, but that's not my dog.