Topic: Guitar kits (build your own kits)

I'm looking to possibly buy a LP style guitar kit possibly a stagg make and was wondering if anyone out there has done the same thing and what their thoughts are. Are they any good? Are the parts of good quality? Etc. Thanks. H:/

2 (edited by Tibernius 2008-05-15 23:05:42)

Re: Guitar kits (build your own kits)

I built a Strat from a kit that looked a lot like this one:

http://www.themusicking.co.uk/build-you … eft-handed

(Those kits are pretty much the same as the SAGA kits, they just cost a lot less. Probably because they don't have the name on them.)

The pickups aren't great and I'm going to replace the nut, but other than that it's great!
I was told (I bought it off ebay) that it was an Alder body but I think it's actually Basswood...not much difference to be honest though. You can't usually tell the difference by looking at the wood.

Think how much the wood would cost you...even if you have to replace everything apart from the body & neck it's still cheaper.

To be honest I didn't know Stagg made guitar kits... do you have a link to them?

Sorry T.  I meant a saga!

Plenty of people have built SAGA kits, almost all of them have said that they're good quality. I've been looking at the Tele style kits they make as well. smile

The downside to all kit building is usually finishing the body paint job. Very hard to get a professional finish. With a Les Paul build you have the added problem that a real Gibson LP glues the neck into the body. Mess this part up and you'll never get that LP tone. Strat and Tele builders have it easier as the originals of those guitars use bolt-on necks like the kit.

There are some good cheap LP copies out there, I think the Vintage LP-alike is meant to be pretty good. Look at it as the start of a mod project and replace the pickups/electrics when you are able.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'