1 (edited by SixStringSlayer 2008-05-15 23:00:13)

Topic: Under-appreciated and little-known guitarists

This is the place to honor all the little-known and under-appreciated guitarists. 

For example, Brian Aubert from Silversun Pickups.  He is great guitarist; everything is in time and just fits together.  Pretty good singer too.  Here's to you, Brian Aubert.

Keep shreding

Re: Under-appreciated and little-known guitarists

boy you  could just about add all the members of chordie to the list myself included lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

3 (edited by dino48 2008-05-16 05:50:05)

Robin Trower, Alvin Lee[ten years after] James Burton[elvis pressleys band] and George Harrison,who not too many people mention.Roy Clark. Boy my age is showing,most of you dont know these guys.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Country players often get left off Guitar "Lists"  Vince Gill is a Great picker,  Willie Nellson always impresses me with his solos,  Grady Martins work on Marty Robbins "Gunfighter Ballads and Trail songs" is outstanding.

mixter102 wrote:

Country players often get left off Guitar "Lists"  Vince Gill is a Great picker,  Willie Nellson always impresses me with his solos,  Grady Martins work on Marty Robbins "Gunfighter Ballads and Trail songs" is outstanding.

Willie's solos...yes!yes!yes! They are fantastic

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

6 (edited by SixStringSlayer 2008-05-20 04:37:56)

Willie Nelson is neither little-known nor under-appreciated.

Keep shreding

oldie but a goody: Rory Gallagher.   Not so well known, but defintely one of my favorites and the best beat up strat I've ever seen. 

Anybody listen to Derek Trucks?

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

Dino48, where are you from? Some of the people I play (try) music with played with James Burton or are kinfolks.

Nela

I know it's an old topic, but I have a few that come to mind.

Claudio Sanchez and Travis Stever of Coheed and Cambria. Got to see them play live, and although they are getting some recognition now, they are WAY underrated. They're rhythms and harmonies are tight, and their solos are spot on and creative. I played in a band that covered a lot of their older stuff, and even that stuff is insanely complicated to really pull together live, listen to their songs "The Crowing" "A Favor House Atlantic" and "The Velorium Camper II: Backend Of Forever" to see what I mean.

Also Jani Liimatainen former guitarist for power metal band Sonata Arctica. His rhythm work really impressed me, simple but effective. And his solos are pure technical and musical genius. Listen to his solo in their song "Weballergy", it's just awesome...

Hmm might I mention Kathleen Edwards and her hubby Colin Cripps. She is on tour now. And just released 3 months ago Asking For Flowers. New music unlike anyone elses. Colin is one kickass guitarist! Donnie

2007 Gibson Les Paul 2004 Gibson Les Paul 2008 Gibson Explorer
2006 Martin D12X1 1999 Martin OOC-16DB 2004 Taylor 414ce
2008 Gretsch G 5122,1977 F385 Takamine,1975 F310 Takamine
Peavey Valve King VK 212 Fender DEC Jr.

SixStringSlayer wrote:

Willie Nelson is neither little-known nor under-appreciated.

I Disagree. Willy is well known but rarely for his guitar work which can be fantastic. He may come up as a song writer and of course a celebrity but I rarely hear praise for his work with that beat up 6 string and again his playing is praiseworthy.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

If you trawel through Utube the place is full of little known jaw dropping guitarist of all types.
Luck plays a great part in whether a real talented guitarist gets widely known and lauded.
Such is the nature of the world.
Ark

Two great Irish guitarists. These vids are from the 70's but they are both, as we say over here, still kickin' around.

Arty McGlyn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzE439U5iMI

Paul Brady

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBGkhPx5 … re=related

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

mixter102 wrote:

Grady Martins work on Marty Robbins "Gunfighter Ballads and Trail songs" is outstanding.

I have this on original vinyl.  Fantastic record.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

mixter102 wrote:

Mixter

I agree on Vince Gill ... I saw him play when I was living in northwest Florida ... he's picking is incredible ... all on a rather nice Strat as well tongue

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

Taylor York from Paramore
noone knows he exists:(
just coz hes filling in rythym

I like cheese:P
               And Paramore:cool:
               And my guitar:D