Topic: The pogues "dirty old town" strumming

Hi all

I'm fairly new to the world of guitar playing and have been having problems nailing the right strumming pattern for "dirty old town".

I've tried various ones but nothing seems quite right.

Can anybody give me some starters?

Many thanks

Steve

Re: The pogues "dirty old town" strumming

Hi Steve and welcome to Chordie,

I suggest you look up the song on YouTube and watch and copy one of the guitarists. However when there are at least two guitars being played one guitar is NEVER going to sound like them.

Personally as I cannot sing or play like the Pogues (or any one else for that matter) when I perform any song I play it the way that I like to hear it hoping that others have my taste and enjoy my version when I do so.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I love the pogues, utterly utterly love them.

Dirty old town is probably one of the easiest songs ever to play. I dont think you want to hear that though lol

right, how can I explain?
hmmmm. when starting in the G chord if you strum just the E string on the G then strum down all the strings then up al lthe strings .... do this three times then strum down and up over all strings a few times.

Best thing is to listen to the song and get the rythm

I just recorded it and was going to put it on youtube for you but it doesnt show much. It just looks like my hand going up and down all the time lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I love the Pogues as well. St paddys nite at our place is always full of Pogues songs. I play quite a few of them, but with the Pogues you can never do a really good imitation of that raw irishness (unless you are!really drunk adn so is everyone else) so why try copy them, just learn the songs well and play in your own style -they aer still magic!

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

Thanks for the response, guys!!

After a little practice (and lots of listening to the song) i think i've nailed it. Hurrahhh!!!

Many thanks

Steve