Topic: Ukulele - It's Great

Hi All,

I've just found this site an it's really fantastic. I've just started playing the Ukulele and what a joy it is! I'm a frustrated guitar player and have always found it quite difficult. Now, I've always wanted a ukulele so I treated myself to one and really wish I had done it sooner.   It is easier to play than the guitar and you can get quite good pretty quickly. However, it is not an easy instrument to master. Just have a look on You Tube at Jake Shimabukuro playing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" to see a master at work, fantastic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9mEKMz2Pvo)

I bought a Ohana Concert CK-35G which is a beautiful little instrument both in looks and in sound. I bought it from The Ukulele Shop in the UK (http://www.theukuleleshop.co.uk) and I recommend them without reservation. They offer lots of advise and fast service. I believe it is best to buy a fairly good quality instrument because it is easier to tune and play, which is a fault with a really cheap version. (And no, I don't work for the ukulele shop! smile)

There is not really lots of stuff on the web for ukulele music and songs but this site gives me everything I need because I can download any song showing the chords and tab in GCEA tuning for ukulele.

Thanks for such a great site!

Re: Ukulele - It's Great

i have a pineapple shaped uke and i just recently got to tune it correctly so i will be playing it more in the future.

YeeHaw! the Lunaticcowgirl writes again!

I'd love to play ukulele ever since I saw Noah and the Whale live..

That Ohana "Vita" shaped one looks sweet as!

●████▅▅▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄....▄▄▄
▄▄▅██████▅▄▃▂
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █►
◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤ -Mr T says: Quit yo jibba Jabba! You Ain't hurt!

cjtukuman wrote:

Hi All,

Just have a look on You Tube at Jake Shimabukuro playing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" to see a master at work, fantastic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9mEKMz2Pvo)

I have seen this vid before, simply amazing! Learning to play Imagine and its quite inspiring to hear it played in such a different way. I love my uke!

Have you ever checked out IZ, short for Israel Kamakawiwoʻole  (RIP!) ? Great player w amazing voice from Hawaii. Check it.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL-uL2M3xvM

Enjoy!

melon

It is true, a tuned ukulele is more fun and easier to play than one that sounds like doom. Since I bought a specific ukulele tuner of amazon (around £10) I've come on leaps and bounds.

A good website if your just starting out is

www.ukulelehunt.com

Its got some good interesting songs on there and also sells an extensive range of e-books.

Highly recommend!!!!!

I just bought a uke (OS OU5)!!!  I was having so much trouble tuning by ear, I finally ran out and got a tuner sad 

Can anyone suggest some easy songs from the site??

I play guitar so i thought I would pick up the uke fairly easily.  But I kinda having problems with strumming and holding it correctly.  It's damn fun tho big_smile

Aloha!

How do I find or change guitar chords to ukulele chords on this site?  Mahalo.

8 (edited by Guitarpix 2009-04-30 18:50:46)

seanahern wrote:

How do I find or change guitar chords to ukulele chords on this site?  Mahalo.

Hey seanahern, Welcome to Chordie! To change your settings just click on the "Resources" tab at the top of the page. then scan down to the bottom and select "change settings (instrument/tuning)" and you can then set all the songs on chordie to a your choice of several instruments. The only flaw is that all songs will be changed. Currently there is no way to change only a few songs... The way to work around this is to create another chordie account for the other instrument you play or you can just keep changing your settings. -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I have a cheap little Lanikai LU-21, but I adore it so far!
Ive only been playing for a few months, but I have no intent to stop. smile
I want to change the strings on it; they sound a bit "metallic".

This site is like a gift; it transcribes the chords so I don't have to look back at a chord chart every time I come across something unfamiliar.
Thank you for that, devs and admins!