Topic: elixir strings

Is it my imagination or do the Elixir strings sound totally different than the regular brass one?  I put on Elixir's last night and the higher strings sound totally different.  Any one agree?  I'm not sure I like the sound as much as the regular brass strings.

Re: elixir strings

YES, YES, YES!!!  I was given a set of Elixir strings with the nanoweb coating by a friend because I'm too cheap to buy $20 set of strings when I can get strings I know I like for $8.  Anyway, I agree that they sound totally different.  On my guitar, for my playing style, and for my purposes, I like their sound.  On your guitar, for your playing style, and for your purposes, perhaps they aren't appropriate.  Go with your own ear and your own preferences.  For me, I like them.  I don't know if I like them twice as much as I like D'Addorio Silk & Steel, but I like they are my favorite strings that I've tried on this guitar thus far. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Huh. I think I like the warm rich sound of the brass strings

I'm a big Elixir fan. I like the way they sound (though I have noticed a difference) and they feel great and last longer.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

i tried em, they were ok, but I'd love a warmer richer sound, like mainecanoe..... do they got with that much playability and as long lasting but with better sound?

They sound very tinsley (sp?) on the higher strings like E and B.  Maybe the guage is too light. I used light when I'm used to Medium brass traditional strings.

Yeah, the brighter sound is what I want.  When I first got my guitar and was playing it by strumming with a pick mostly, it was too bright and I was looking for ways to mellow it out.  For that, I found that I like the D'Addorio Phospher Bronze.  That is my preferred string for when I strum/pick.  But mostly I finger pick, and since I have tried fingerpicks (the picks that slide on your fingers) and discovered that I hate them and they cut up my cuticals and hurt like a son-of-a-gun and therefore play fingerpick style with just my fingers, I need to brighten up a LOT.  So, I now prefer to have very bright sounding strings because the plunking with my bare fingers dulls the sound down quite a bit.  With the warm and mellow phospher bronze, too dull.  With bright sounding strings, much better.  It's especially important on the treble strings because those are the nails I can't keep long enough to matter.  My bass strings are plucked quite ferociously enough to keep phospher bronze, but the treble strings not so much.

That's why I say that for my style, my songs, my taste, I like them.  We are in complete agreement about their sound, it's what we do with the strings that and what we prefer that seems different.  And that's as it should be.  If we all played and liked the same thing, wouldn't that be boring?

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I like the Elixir strings,but very expensive.......They seem to brake very easily,maybe I play to hard,but they seem to break for me more often than cheaper strings

After  a few sets I am going negative on the Elixir stings  I bought a new guitar with light Yamaha bronze strings  they held tune and lasted longer than any of the elixirs I have tried but I could not find any replacements .  Tried Dean Markley sounded like c**p tried Elixir lights sounded like c**p  had to go to Elixir nanoweb medium to get even close to the tone of the light Yamaha strings  and the Elixirs have only been on for two weeks and are already discolouring in the high use areas.

Sorry but I think we are being sold a bill of goods that just increases profits not performance. Last set I ever buy.

Funny, my guitar came strung with Yamaha strings and I couldn't get rid of them fast enough.  I guess this is why there are menus in restaurants.  Not everybody wants the same thing. 

- Zurf

I,ve restrung my Freshman acoustic with DR black beauties, and find them giving a sharper tone than Elixers., although they do not have the smooth feel of the former I,ve got used to them now, at least for the time being.

I think a point that is missing here is there is a HUGE difference between nanowebs and polywebs. I think that the polywebs sound more like your regular phosphor/bronze strings. However, their coating is much thicker which makes them last longer (MUCH onger than uncoated strings), but they're almost too slick which makes them a little harder to play. I've never heard of anyone having breakage issues with the polywebs either.

Nanowebs have a lighter tone, don't last as long as the polywebs (still longer than other strings), and have breakage issues. However, they are easier to play since the coating isn't as thick.

I use medium polywebs on my guitar. They last about a month during the winter when I play a lot. One set will last all summer for me because the coating keeps the strings from corroding and I don't play as much (I spend my free time golfing instead smile ).

Well, off to go get 18 in...see if I can duplicate my first ever HOLE IN ONE that I got on Wednesday!

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

crowellb wrote:

I've never heard of anyone having breakage issues with the polywebs either.

Well, off to go get 18 in...see if I can duplicate my first ever HOLE IN ONE that I got on Wednesday!

I've tried both the Polys and Nanos and had breakage issues with both. Elixer is a brand I will never again purchase.

But my real reason for posting was to say CONGRATS ON THE ACE CROWELLB! big_smile

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

A few weeks ago, I bought a set of D'Addarios 80/20 and found that I didn't like the sound... it was not warm enough for me. So I did get some Elixirs with the nanoweb coating, and I loved the sound.

However, I have to agree with windrat in that mine too discoloured around the high use areas after a very short time, and these are supposed to last longer.

Ideally, I still haven't found the sound of the strings that originally came with my guitar, but then again, I've only tried 2 brands.  This post is giving me LOTS of info....

anastasia

I haven't found that the discoloration has affected the sound any.

Congratulations on getting to say "Put me down for a one" Crowellb!

- Zurf

Thanks Topdown and Zurf. It was a lot of fun, but my bank account was a couple hundred bucks smaller by the end of the night...but it was worth every penny! smile

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda