1 (edited by wlbaye 2008-06-10 02:46:11)

Topic: John Prine & Emmylou Harris Update !!!

We made it back thru all the wild traffic in Denver . The concert was a 10. Emmylou opened the show with her band and played or about 1 1/2 hr.
   John played his show with a bass player and a lead guitarist.The bass player played a large upright bass most and some bass guitar, the lead player is a young fella named Jason Wilbur and is excellent lots of slide guitar and he also played mandolin and harmonica.
  The sound is the best i have ever experienced ,Red Rocks Amphitheatre is really something.I have been a fan of Prines since his first album came out, when I was a senior in High School, I was a little worried since John has had some health problems but it was really something special, John opened with Spanish Pipedream with his band and after awhile played about five songs solo and that was great.Emmylou come out and sang 3 duets with John and that was really nice.

Here"s  a list of songs not in order, I missed a couple but my memory is not so good.

Opening Song "Spanish Pipedream"

Spanish Pipedream
Blue Umbrella
Sam Stone
Sweet Revenge
Hello in There
Fish & Whistle
Dear Abby
Aint Hurtin Nobody
Up On Bear Creek
Donald & Lydia
Lake Marie
Your My Everything
Souviners
Please Don't Bury Me
Thats the way The World Goes Round
Illegal Smile

Songs Played with Emmylou

Inspite of Ourselves
2nd song Slipped my mind
Angel From Montgomery

Encore

Flag Decal
2nd song slipped my mind
Paradise

Later Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

Re: John Prine & Emmylou Harris Update !!!

To the contrary, I'd say your memory is excellent.

Sounds like a terrific show.  I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I've always loved Prine and Iris Dement's version of "In Spite of Ourselves"; it must have been great with Emmy Lou. Sounds like a blast.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

wlbaye
glad ye enjoyed it, I am jealous!!

Sounds like the same set he done last year in Glasgow, apart from he never had a female to sing the duets with him. He sang them himself

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

How was the live performance of "Blue Umbrella"? That's a really pretty song, so I imagine it must have been good.

[url]www.freerice.com[/url]

The Red Rocks made every song sound like a dream,just fantastic.

Thanks Wayne

Later, Wayne P

For you Prine fans - I saw a link to this on another site and really enjoyed it.

TITLE: A Literary Evening with John Prine and Ted Kooser

http://www.loc.gov/today/cyberlc/featur … p?rec=3677

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

toppy,
thanks for that link.
I skiped through a few minutes of it but since you posted that I ahve been watching most of it.

What a fantastic video that is, 87 minutes long thuogh???? I got things to do,lol. I will however rewatch it all in full. I got a few songs he done on it though like " hell oin there", it is good to hear how he made that song up ( although he may have said in concert? i canny remember)
Influenced by John Lennon's " across the universe" and though about the hollow sound getting shouted down a hallway, lol, super!!!
His voice after his throat cancer you can tell is a bit....ok... a lot hoarser than it was before but I love his voice the way it is just now, the gruffness of it makes a very unique gruff voice that goes so well with the songs he sings. I know many a people that would love to sound like that when singing, me included.
I dont know if he played "PAradise" or not? I know he talked about it quite a bit, it is good to hear the odd story or two getting told again, just like its a big old goofy world.

Thanks again for this link, i watched it in full screen on the computer and in perfect quality.

cheers

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending