Topic: THE USE OF UNUSUAL INSTRUMENTS

One great example is JETHRO TULL.
- IAN ANDERSON PLAYING FLUTE.
- FOCUS a DUTCH BAND with Jan Akkerman and Thys Van LEER. Thys also played flute.

I am looking for bands using unusual instruments, like FIDDLE, BANJO, BAGPIPES (About bagpipes there is one song using this instrument and having a huge hit: WINGS with MULL of KINTYRE).

The Beatles introducing the SITAR.
DO YOU KNOW BANDS OR SONGS USING UNUSUAL INSTRUMENTS?.

MULL OF KINTYRE on request of Upyerkilt big_smile big_smile  lol   mad

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: THE USE OF UNUSUAL INSTRUMENTS

lol Lieven

Thanks!!!

More on bagpipes,
drop kick murphys ( a punk band from boston that think they are irish) they play bagpipes on quite a few of their songs and it goes so well with the heavy punk music.

Also bagpipes on AC/DC's "rock'n'roll singer" from the TNT album

the Who from the song " postcard" uses a jews harp ( probably keith moon playing it)

then ye get the silly songs from a great artist "rolf Harris" he uses his xylophone on a few songs as well as the big board that makes those warbling sounds. and the dijeridoo

And the pogues... shane McGowan plays the frying pan and smoe other pots and pans against his head, musical instrument? hmmm debatable but he does hit his head at precise times to go along with the music so he is using it as an instrument.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

If you like unusual instruments and musical experiments, you may enjoy checking out Bela Fleck and the Flecktones.  Bela Fleck plays banjo in all manner of styles, sometimes using tunings that he has developed specifically for a given song.  Their bass player, Victor Wootten, is a master of harmonics.  He can make his bass sound like there are two or three different instruments being played, or he can play a straight-forward, in-the-box bass line all depending on what is called for.  There is another band member, I think called Mr. Rhythm or something like that, who has developed his own electronic keyboard, drum machine that is worn rather than sat down to (sorry for the wretched grammar).  Bela Fleck invites a number of different guest artists who are skilled at a wild variety of instruments from a Japanese singer who can actually sing chords (yes, singing three notes at once) to Sitar artists from India to diggeridoo artists from Australia. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones are just from another planet. If you haven't heard them do so immediately. They'll make you rethink music in one way or another

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

5 (edited by Guitarpix 2008-06-15 15:15:19)

Hey Doc! Check out some Rusted Root  they play a large variety of world instruments in their music. Some really cool stuff.
I play the African squeeze drum,the Djembe, the Cajon, the Guiro and yes even the Cowbell. I play a few others but those are the more unusual of them...lol I'm in the process of making a Hang drum. Can't wait to experiment with it also!  Peace! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]