Topic: learning to play by ear

i need to start figuring songs out (mostly the harmony) on my own by ear. any advice on learning this skill?

A.

Mandolin>guitar

Re: learning to play by ear

lone..Try putting yourself in a spot with no distractions,lots of times to me even the guitar is a distraction.Let your thoughts go where the melodies lead, try not to put preasure on yourself and they will come.
Hope it helps
KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

3 (edited by Guitarpix 2008-06-19 14:35:25)

Here try this site...  http://www.musictheory.net/index.html You'll find some ear training excercises in the trainers section.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I have always found that my ears aren't nimble enough for playing guitar.  Oh wait.  I got you now.  Never mind.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I learned by ear at first but the faster way to learning harmony is to understand the major c scale and the intervals there is a section on chordie about theory moderated by jerome who is one of the best theory teachers ( other then myself ) actually I think he's a little better lol and he will point you in the right direction good luck smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russel is much smarter and better looking, though.  smile

He's right.  Playing by ear is pretty much all centered around learning music theory.  If you can identify the key of a song (not hard to do) then picking up the chord progressions for it becomes pretty easy from that point on.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Well I started playing at the very young of 55. I started out learning chords, progressions, strum patterns and some scale movements. I can start with the root note on the 6th and 5th strings and play the patterns across the fret board. That does not mean I know each and every note - just the movements. I would not mind being able to play some lead licks ans solo riffs but spend my time playing rythem guitar, and liking it. I have gotten myself to where I can pick up the "beat" or strum patterns fairly easy and begin to play the song. I cannot listen to the song and tell you what the key is but I can tell you if what I'm playing is right or wrong for that song. After some trial and error I can get the song to sound like the CD and am able to play the chord progressions from that key - takes me a little longer to match up the chord changes to the "beat" of the song but I do manage to work that out. After I learn the song in the key of the CD I attempt to play the song in a key that my wife can sing the song in. This means I will have to transpose the chords into another key. Again, this takes me awhile as I can tell the key is not right but, through trial and error, I can get it right. So, I guess my "ears" are beginning to understand the "sound" but I just have not "learned" to reconize the sound. I'm getting to where, as I'm playing, I can tell when one of the strings starts getting out of tune and adjustments need to be made. I have some friends who play strickly play by ear and can play anything. One of my friends who is outstanding as a lead player cannot tell you the key or the notes he is playing BUT he knows the sound and can play the song perfectly, everytime. He say's he does not know the note names ANYWHERE across the fretboard but he knows the sounds all across the fretboard and that is how he plays. He is very good at playing but when we try to play music together he cannot tell you why, what or how to play and, as such, does not make a good teacher. Anyway, thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Nela

understanding theory allows you to trandspose into any key quickly as each step of any given scale is an interval of so many steps from the root or tonic in the c scale its easy because there are no sharps or flats to deal with so C D E F G A B C becomes
                                                      1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 or an interval of a
second,third,forth,fifth,sixth,seventh,eights or octave and as long as you take the key your transposing from all you have to do is locate the chord and its distance in intervals from the root ( starting key note) and apply that to the new key you are transposing to

"Growing old is not for sissies"

thanks guys... i forgot to subscribe to my own thread, so i didnt know anyone replied yet.

Mandolin>guitar