Topic: Help!

Hello!
As a beginner at the art of guitar-playing, I'm having real difficulty with the fingering for chords such as F.
I just can't get the hang of it! Thus I tend to avoid any song that has that chord anywhere in it.
I'd be grateful for any tips on how to make the bridge would be gratefully received.
Alternatively, can anyone suggest an alternative chord that's easier to finger?

Cheeers!
Meggity.

Star sign; Sagittarius
Motto; If it ain't broke, don't mend it!

Re: Help!

The easiest change to and from F that I know is open C.  Try to do it by just rolling your fingers down from the C to the F and back, and do it A LOT.  There is no shortcut, and there is no use in trying to avoid it; keep after it, even if just 5 minutes a day, and in a week or so you'll have it.  Then you can start working on the change from F to G. wink

Look on the bright side, you still have barre chords to look forward to...

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Hi Meggity,

I would suggest you start by playing it as a 4 string chord. Do not strum your two bass strings and play it as xx3211. Use your index finger to play a mini-barre on the first fret for the B and e strings, middle finger on the 2nd fret of the G string and your little finger on the third fret of the D string.

Later you can use your ring finger to play the third fret of the A string and make it a 5 string chord.

Finally from there you will need to stretch your index finger across all the strings on the first fret for the full barre chord.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Thanks, chaps!
I'll try all you've suggested!

Any tips on how to harden up the fingertips? Mine are KILLING me.....!!!!!!

Star sign; Sagittarius

Embrace the pain. After a while it goes away. You could try smaller gauge strings (thinner), but I'd just keep bashing away, your fingers will harden up in their own time.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Cheers, alvee!

This is my second foray into guitar-playing. I taught myself to play back in the 'nineties and got quite good.
I stopped playing when, for various reasons, I wasn't able to get to the folk club. My fingertips hardened up over a few weeks of practising for at least an hour a day. I'd forgotten, though, how painful it is until that happens!

Star sign; Sagittarius

There is a lot of this on Chordie. I myself played YEARS ago and stopped (wife, family, etc). Started again about 2 1/2 years ago and love it more now than then. I took a while for the old fingers to loosen up and get the chord shapes back again, and the sore fingers was a sweet reminder of my teens.

All the very best,

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Same here Meggity.I stopped playing ages ago and have just got back into it in the last couple of months.My fingers start killing me inside of a 1/2 hour,but I know if I stick with it, the pain will be gone and my fingers will be the way they used ta was.
Hang in there smile
KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

My ability to change chords is coming back quite easily, as is my strumming technique.
What I'm having real difficulty with is picking.
My husband - also self-taught - can do it easily, but I find it really hard to concentrate on changing chords and plucking strings at the same time.
Doesn't help that I wear bi-focal glasses, which make it difficult to shift my focus quickly from my crib-sheet to my fret!

Star sign; Sagittarius

Thanks, KAP!

No pain, no gain.....? hmm

Star sign; Sagittarius

help me too please...

I don't get how many times you're supposed to strum the guitar between the notes.
It says to play Chord A then there are words then Chord C.....how many times should I strum the A chord before changing to C ?

learntheguitar,

LEarn the song, get the rythum and it will come easy to you on how much to strum and how to strum. Think in your heaad there is a wee drum beat going, that might help.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Hi Learnguitar and welcome to Chordie,

The question you ask is impossible to answer without knowing the particular song you are trying to play as chord can be played for a very short time or for several bars. I answered a similar question about learing to to play a song in another thread in this way:

When you are learning to play the guitar it is important that you start by only playing songs that you know really well and preferably with few chords in it. (In the 50's and 60's there were many songs with just three or four chords but there are fewer, I think, today).

Start by just stumming the chord on a down stroke and at one beat per bar. Sing along with the song to get familiar with the changes. Then when you are happy with the changes, put down your guitar. Listen to a recording of the song or play in in your mind and at the same time tap your right hand on your thigh in time to the music, not just a steady beat but vary it to go along with the song. Then pick up your guitar and convert that rhythm that you just tapped out into a strumming pattern.

OK I know it is easier said than done but I hope that helps.

Roger

Meggity

Like you I had the hardest time with the F chord ... the one thing I did was to learn the C chord first and play songs with C specifically to get me to LEARN it as second nature ... the next thing I did is kind of what Guppy said except I do a "cheater" F chord (xx3210) ... it's close enough and got me by until I could do the "mini-bar" efficiently

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

Tim, the chord you were playing was in fact Fmaj7 so it is very close although somewhat darker than F but if it helps and works then it is a good idea.

Roger

Never fear the "F" chord. With practice it will become easy. A good chord progression to practice is Open C to F (XX3211) to G (XX5433) YES this form of "F" is movable up and down the fretboard. Try the "finger roll mentioned above to get from C to F then hold that position and slide everything down 2 frets to G. And practice, practice, practice. Once you have the "F" chord mastered and are proud of yourself you can look forward to the MEAN and NASTY "B" chord!

Nela

Practice. 

And to NELA - "B" is not only mean and nasty, it is evil. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

NELA wrote:

YES this form of "F" is movable up and down the fretboard. Try the "finger roll mentioned above to get from C to F then hold that position and slide everything down 2 frets to G. And practice, practice, practice. Once you have the "F" chord mastered and are proud of yourself you can look forward to the MEAN and NASTY "B" chord!

Nela

Nela F to G is normally considered going up the keyboard and not down, but that is not the reason for this message. Take the F shape up to the 7th fret and you have the dreaded B.

Roger

19 (edited by Tim0473 2008-07-09 19:27:33)

Ahhh thanks Roger!  I didn't know it was a 7th chord ... but sweet nonetheless!  NELA I'm going to try that finger roll for the F ... I never thought to do that before and agreed on the C to F to G ... I saw that pattern recently on the song, "Pink Houses" by John Mellancamp but it was F to C to G ... still sounded great though!

Now the dreaded "B" is the next for me to tackle ... but currently on some songs I can get away with XX2432 (one example is the song, "What's Up?" by 4 NonBlondes ... instead of playing a B I can get away with that B above

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

Isn't XX2432 a Bm?  That's how rotten that chord is.  Now it's confusing me for no reason whatever but it's own pleasure.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hehe, thats funny...
I actually picked up the guitar faithfully because of the wife, kid, work, responsibility.

lol, before I "Grew up" I was too busy doing other things. Now all I have left is the guitar.

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Zurf a four string Bm chord is easier played xx4432. Full barre is 224432 (Am moved up two frets)

Roger

23 (edited by Detman101 2008-07-09 20:20:18)

Tim0473 wrote:

Meggity

Like you I had the hardest time with the F chord ... the one thing I did was to learn the C chord first and play songs with C specifically to get me to LEARN it as second nature ... the next thing I did is kind of what Guppy said except I do a "cheater" F chord (xx3210) ... it's close enough and got me by until I could do the "mini-bar" efficiently

WOWOWOW!!! Thank you!!!

I had been avoiding the F chord as well cause I can't switch to it that fast! But dude, you just completed my repertoire of open chords!!!

Edit: That kinda almost sounds like a 7th chord...kinda darker than the original "F" but hey,I love the sound of 7ths anyway. Most of the songs I've created use at least 3 7th chords lol.

Manoman, now I've gotta go try all those songs I ran from cause they had the "F" chord in em!

Thanks!!
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Roger, I guess I just got my "up's and down's" mixed up when I made that post. BUT, it's just been that kind'a day. 1st thing this morning I had a backlash in the toilet paper and it's not gotten any better all day long.

Nela

Sounds a little confusing...but I'm going to try it.
Thanks Upyerkilt and Roger Guppy