1 (edited by cytania 2008-07-07 08:19:37)

Topic: Good Wood Is Even

Finally the secret of the Stradivarius is out;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7484975.stm

So next time a store assistant is extolling the virtues of bubinga or transylvania cedar ask them what decades it grew through and how even the weather was. Don't want too much seasonal variation do we ;-)

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Re: Good Wood Is Even

Allan, this is extremely cool! (pun intended)

It certainly seems to make sense that grain density and seasonal variations in growth would affect the wood. I have also seen sources claiming that the finish applied to those violins was the secret to their awesome sound.

That mini ice age mentioned in the article had a profound effect on history - crops failed, disease spread, etc.

The fact that something as small as a violin can make such an incredible tone has always fascinated me. The resonant tone of a well-made violin is amazing. There are also tiny insects (crickets, cicadas) that can create huge, piercing sounds by rubbing their legs and wings.

Thanks for the link to a very interesting article.  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Brilliant "Thank You"

I Also read alot more on there! So glad i wasnt the  mistaken Book winner !

How awful!

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Met a couple with their cat from Siberia living on a wooden boat. They called the wood in their boat, "pine". These trees were cut from the icy cliffs overlooking the Bering Sea.
They did not paint the bottom. They nailed copper sheathing over for antifouling. After 20 years, the Siberian "pine" looked to be in good shape.
A far cry from that soft, mushy pine we know in the Southern U.S.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Interesting read.  The expensive rainforest woods are supposed to be superior in tone.  My acoustic has an Engelmann Spruce top that has a lot of lines in the top.  It is German wood and I love the tone more than my other acoustics. 
Great article, makes you rethink things that you have heard about guitar making.

Bob
Grantville, PA
Trying to get back into the swing of playing more.