Topic: Need a little help! Have some fun with suggestions.

I need to write a song for a "song-off" with some other guys (who are actually accomplished song-writers, one of which has three albums out and this will be my third SONG).  It's a good-spirited competition to honor a friend on his birthday.   

Now, this fellow is a true hillbilly, and so I was thinking to make it kind of a 1970's era minor Country song that has a serious sound but ridiculous lyrics.  Think Freddy Fender.  Think George Jones when he had the duck living in his head.  It'll sound important, serious, and weighty in tone, but be silly in content.  Anyway, that's the concept of the song.

I was thinking Am. 

So, what are the right chords for doing a Country song (generally pentatonic) in Am?  Is it Am, C, Dm, G?  Please suggest some chord progressions for me.  I'll be throwing in a pompous and ridiculous bridge, too.  Those are usually bumped up to a fifth, I think, so would that be Em, F#m, C? 

I am completely out of my element here, but some help with chords would be tremendously appreciated.  I'll figure out how to work them all together if only I can know which ones to use and which ones I can slip in.  Dang, wish I had studied theory better!

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Need a little help! Have some fun with suggestions.

Played around a little -

Am, Em, G to G7, C7 sounds appropriate ominous and forboding to put ridiculous lyrics around, but it's hardly Country sounding. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

In a lotta Country songs the chord progression will be in "G" and bridge to "C" at the chorus. I would also put in some good sounding "turn-arounds" as you return to lyric's. Think about a country "shuffle" beat that has a whole lotta rythem to the strum pattern. A good song to listen to for the sound would be "Crazy Over You" by Alan Jackson. Listen to how the "off" chord "A" sounds during the bridge as it leads into the interlude. also, if'n it's Country be sure to throw in some 7th chords.

nela

Hey Zurf.I used to play a lot of country style on E-B7-A-E.Theres lots of different ways to bridge to a chorus or visa versa  D C G,even the dreaded F.Can't think of any tunes off hand but there's lots to pick from.Sounds like your buddies gonna get a well deserved roast and should be a blast.You picked your silly content yet?

KAP54 smile

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Well, this fellow's pretty big and calls folks Hoss a lot.  He garners a lot of respect because of his size, but also because he's truly concerned about folks and it shows.  So I figured I'd write a song called Boss Hoss and work in a lot of things to make fun of his hillbilly heritage - denim overalls with no shirt, work boots with no laces, bandanas the size of Texas, aversion to sunscreen (or taking care of yourself in general), and some tall tale stuff about wrestling a bear or outfoxing a fox.  Not sure of the exact lines.  I'll have to get a tune in mind first and it's just not coming. 

- Zurf

If you are writting a country song be sure to put something in about a "bottle, a love gone wrong (maybe something happened while he wuz wrestlin' that bear), chewin' tobacco and a pick-up truck".

Nela

Hi Zurf,
This will be a fun project for you. My advice is to keep it pretty simple musically - if you have an amusing and original lyric, the music need not be too complicated.

Here is a nice little chord set using Am:

verses
Am D Am D
F G Am
Am D Am D
F G Am

chorus
Dm Em Dm Em
Am D Am D
F E7 Am E7

Hope this helps fuel your creative fires,  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

I know you're a folsom prison blues fan--could go with the gool ol' E  A / A7  B7 kind of thing...

You can get a country sound in almost any key if you alternate pick the base strings,  and maybe throw in a hammer on or two.

You guys are great.  Thanks for the good advice.  Wrestling a bear and spittin' tobacco - perfect!  I'll try the different chords and strum a little or pick a little and see what falls out. 

- Zurf

Zurf wrote:

So I figured I'd write a song called Boss Hoss...

Have a look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boss_Hoss

Doubt it'll be of any use but good for a laugh at least.
A V8 Motorbike?!:O lol

"Tough as a Teddy Bear"

We have a 170 pound English Mastiff. A magnificently large and absolutely mellow dog. While walking him one day a passerby asked, "Is he tough?". I chuckled and replied, "Yeah, he's tough like a teddy bear!" It just occurred to me that this line might work in your song . . . .
James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Am and C major are the same key signature.  Anything that works in C will work in Am.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Sounds like a big man, with big hands,big feet and a big-g-g-g-g-g...............................................
..............................................................................................................................................
..............................................................................................................................................
...............................................................................................................................................
.................................................................................................................................heart.
KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)