Topic: RYTHM / TEMPO

Hi,

I'm just starting out again (at 47) after a failed attempt whilst around 10 or 11 years old.  I'm taking it slow and using books and online instruction for technique and such, but having a heck of a time with keeping any sort of rythm and matching strumming or picking to it.

Question is, is that something that you learn after a while or am I just wasting my time?

Re: RYTHM / TEMPO

I think what would help is a metronome there is a online version free to use someone on chordie has the link to it or you could buy a enexpensive drum machine (used if you can find one at a music store or want ads) i think a drum machine would help alot also you could download "AUDACITY" a free program from sourceforge.com it has a click track and if you have a tape recorder you can use it to make mp3 or wav files to upload it also has a help folder you can download in a zipped folder from sourceforge and open the folder and select only the section you want help with its all free so hang in someone else may offer more information that can help you and goodluck smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell makes good recommendations. I struggle with it but it does improve with practice. However I do believe some folks are better at keeping time than others. It's something that comes easy to some while others (like me) have to really work at it. For what it's worth, I find the more I "think" the worse it gets. relaxation is the key for me to stay in time. And practice.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Kind of like dancing.  Some have it, some don't, but with practice, who knows.  Just hang in there and really practice alot.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I played along with a CD and that seemed to help me learn to keep time alot better...

Lynxpilot, you and I are in the same boat as I played a little in my teenage years, quit and then started playing again at age 54. I've had a few lessons but mainly I've learned on my own. Thanks to the internet information highway there are many places to get help and Chordie is the best of the best. My advice to you would be to listen to the songs you want to learn and try to keep time to the music by tapping your foot to the beat. Take a simple song and determine what timing it is, 3/4, 4/4 or whatever. A 3/4 timing is considered to be a waltz beat, by most and the count will be 1 - 2 - 3 - 1 - 2 -3 - repeat. A 4/4 timing will be 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 1 repeats. Count to the bass beats of the song. As you get to where you can keep the beat of the song by tapping your foot to the music try to do the same with your hand in a strumming movement. Then that will take you to strumming the guitar with the rythem of the song. It takes practice and effort on your part but the reward will be worth your time. Take your time, learn to practice correctly and stay with it.

Nela

Thanks.  Appreciate the encouragement.

good advice above,I find playing the song wihe the cd works well also if you sing with it that helps. Dont worry it will take some time too get back ,I think we all experiance this.I did.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman