Topic: BIG DILEMMA

WE HAVE GOT THE BEATLES. In fact they were only BIG in the period between 1962 - 1970.
In fact in 1962 they replaced PETE BEST by RICHARD STARKEY aka RINGO STARR. In fact this must have been a catastrophe for him to see that he was replaced at the start of the "BEATLE - MANIA".
CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT THEY HAD 13 STUDIO ALBUMS between 1963 and 1970? Can somebody give me the name of ONE band who did better. To make an album today, it takes a year and everything is controlled by producers and sound engineers, to have what? A better sound?
BUT THE QUESTION IS:
- WHICH OF THE FAB FOUR HAD MOST SUCCESS IN THE POST BEATLES ERA?
Was it Paul McCartney with/without Wings?
- WHICH OF THE FAB FOUR MADE THE BEST SONG? like the song "Mull of Kyntire" is the best sold single ever only beaten by "Do they know it's Christmas"but still the best sold single WITHOUT A PURPOSE, like Aids, Charity.
Or is it JOHN LENNON with one of the most beautiful songs ever IMAGINE.
What about George Harisson, Ringo Starr?

WHAT IS YOUR OPINION PLEASE

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: BIG DILEMMA

I think they were all great but I think Lennon was the best songwriter. Some of his solo stuff was powerful. You mentioned Imagine...also Working Class Hero, Jealous Guy, etc. There were way too many to mention.
I think Paul was probably more commercially successful and he and George were no slouches but I gotta give the egde to John. Ringo was just Ringo. IMO just happy to be on the ride.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

13 albums in such a short time is quiet an achievement.

They probably had so many due to the pressure they had from the record company, the fans and the manager. All wanted more for either money or more music to listen to, so with them being so popular it is no suprise they had so many. It is a good thing that John and Paul wrote so much that they had enough to fill so many albums in so little time. Lots of their songs did not even make it onto any of their own records.

It is said in a book I read " lost in the woods" a biography on Syd Barrett that it was the beatles that started telling the record companies what the band wanted and not bowing down to every command from the record companies. The book says the record company were wanting the beatles to have one of their albums ( I tihnk either sergeant pepper or the white album) in about a week or two. They turned round and told the record company they would have it finished when they were done. They were recording it the same time Pink Floyd were recording Piper at the gate of dawn in abbey road at the same time. Syd and the beatles shared a few drugs and recorded an awful song together ( I have a copy of it).

So if it were not for the beatles telling the record company they were taking their time, I wonder how long it would have been before another band could have said that to a record company. Back then all or most artists doen everything they were told just for the sake of getting airplay and getting noticed.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_McCartney

Yes Ken, hard to believe 13 studio albums in in fact a relative short period.
Can you imagine ONE band, except some 60ties bands doing the same? Take MADONNA, how many records does she have? 90% of the "bigger" bands spend months in a studio, and THE QUESTION IS? IS THE RESULT BETTER?
me? I wouldn't be proud to spend days and weeks to record ONE track. And HOW is it possible that bands who made an album in 12 months are able to perform a number on which they worked 1 month.
I've seen a lot of bands playing, recently I listened to Coldplay's FIX YOU a life acoustic gig, FALSE, WRONG RIFFS....

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Doc,
Do you think it's even more amazing given the lack of technology during the Beatles era? They were produced but not in the manner they can be today. They had to be a lot more inventive back then. If you listen to a Beatles or Pink Floyd album today it still sounds awesome. It's a testament to the artists and the producer. Amazing considering the tools available to todays artists. I think these artist were special...very special. The right combination of personalites and musical talents in the right situation.
Do you think image and videos have changed the music creation process. Madonna doesn't have to put a quality album with 12 great tracks; there's no pressure. fans are going to pack the house because of her image. She's not going to show up with a stool and a six string and blow you away.  Every once in while I hear an album that restores my faith in music. It's usually on an independant label (but not always). I keep exploring new genres and keep an open mind.

Elvis Costello

saw a short TV special on Abbey Road with Paul McCartney.  With a small studio audience he went through how they mixed down with a 4 track tape deck adding a part at a time. very cool to see how comfortable he was with the equipment.  He must have spent endless days there.

I think the Beatles got to the point they could have put out junk and still sold well, like Madonna.  All the more credit to them for not selling out and instead,  stretching their chops.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

YEP and even MORE amazing is the fact that every "NEXT" album was BETTER than the album before.
ONLY THIS IS MORE THAN ENOUGH TO TELL "THERE IS NO BETTER BAND,"As musician, actor you are as good as your last album. Or movie.
CAN YOU NAME 1 BAND WHO'S NEXT ALBUM WAS ALWAYS BETTER THAN THEIR PREVIOUS ALBUM?
I don't think so

In my head, I've always thought the Beatles were and still are the best band overall. There are lots of arguments against this but no one will ever change my mind and I don't think they'll ever be surpassed (IMO of course). The quality of the music, the influence on others, the output; there's no one else to compare them to. I've heard the argument for the Stones and while I like the Stones it's no comparison. 2nd on my list would be Pink Floyd but still Beatles @ #1

Elvis Costello