Topic: YOUR OPINION ABOUT PLAYING GUITAR

I think I am too old to go back to music class, and due to my physical condition I can't play, standing in a "vertical" position. I have problems with my gibsons they are too heavy. But
I have some friends one plays drum, the other bass, but you know they still have wife and kids and they learned me a lot, like you can't keep RHYTHM. They are correct.
Most of the time I play alone. I played for months only acoustic, but since I found my Korg Pandora PX4D back I learned in one week more than in two months.
The size is similar to a package of cigarettes, and you have a fantastic rhythm section.
Since a few months there is the Korg Pandora PX5D with an USB interface, ableton lite and more USEFUL effects.
So my point is I am not really able to follow class.
I play pretty good and have developed my own style. Since 4 weeks I play almost only electric especially with the DUESENBERG 49er, play the guitar, choose your combination and choose your rhythm section. UNBELIEVABLE = the riffs and licks and with that rhythm section, I even can play some solos.
How CAN I IMPROVE my skills? Reading tabs? Maybe this will be the next step, learning to play tabs
WHAT'S YOUR OPINION?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: YOUR OPINION ABOUT PLAYING GUITAR

gitaardocphil wrote:

But I have some friends one plays drum, the other bass, but you know they still have wife and kids and they learned me a lot, like you can't keep RHYTHM. They are correct.

Hi Lieven,

I think you must mean something different than what you are saying here as most most musicians can keep both rhythm and tempo otherwise they would not be able to perform a song.

Please explain further as what you have written is just not true.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Doc have you tried Instructonal DVD's?  They're relativly inexpensive and you can play them on your own schedule,  many include backing tracks so you can play along.

DocPhil. I, too, am having problems understanding your statement of not being able to keep rhythm? I have read a lot of your posts and get the feeling that you are feeling a little bit sorry for yourself due to your physical condition. NOW, I am not saying this to be cruel in any shape form or fashion. While we have never met, thru our communication here on Chordie, I do feel as though we are friends and that is why I am making these comments. Please do not read anything else into these comments other that of friend talking to friend.

So what if you have a handicap. Your mind is bright and sharp. You may have slowed down a step or two but it do seem as though you still have a strong desire to go forward with your music. I say, do it. You wanna take guitar lessons, go for it. Any guitar teacher worth the title "Teacher" should be happy to help you. You say you cannot play while standing - then learn to play while sitting. Need someone to play music with - ask around. Shoot, you probally know enough to do a little teaching to a niece / nephew or neighbor's child and get them interested in this great hobby. You seem to have a vast knowledge about different guitars and equipment (I know from your posts that you do have a talent for researching these products) - how about a part time job at a guitar store. It's all about mind over matter. If you don't mind then it don't matter. Keep a positive attitude. Again, please understand that this is coming from my heart and nothing else.

Nela

What I forgot to explain is that DUE to severe PHYSICAL problems I have to sit to play guitar.
Also that it is very difficult to follow class, because even when I sit I can't play longer then 30 minutes. I play 30 years (or more) and I have my own style. Since I am not longer working as a doc, and I am almost always at home, I don't play in a band. This results in playing alone.
Playing alone = no other player pointing you on loosing rhythm and I can't use my foot to "tap on the floor" so I have a pandora PX4D providing me the rhythm I want. About those friends they SHOWED me THAT I PLAY TOO RIGID, and since that comment I pay attention and I try to play with my arm and hand in stead of playing with a rigid wrist. More smooth (I DON'T KNOW IF I EXPLAIN THIS CORRECT OR AT LEAST BETTER. I used floor boards because I adore "heavy, muddy sounds, but the last months, I notice that there is no better thing than play "clean".
I told that I play more electric guitar since I started to use again that PX4D having a lot of rhythms on board and that I was very dissapointed to see/hear  that my rhythmic sense was a mess, but that this has improved a lot, using and following that RHYTHM RESULTING IN a pleasure to play guitar. I really don't know if I am alone (1), to play alone (2) it is fun to play in a band or with another guy. THIS RESULTS IN THE FACT THAT I PLAY 3x better, again with that PX4D, and that playing is a pleasure now.
- I CAN'T STAND RIGHT WITH A GIBSON AROUND MY NECK (due to a broken back, or vertebra)
- I CAN ONLY PLAY SITTING and I SWEAR that starts to hurt as hell too after 30 minutes.
- LOVING SO MUCH THE GUITAR and being LIMITED SO MUCH DUE TO MY PHYSICAL CONDITION gives me more reason to cry than to laugh and enjoy when i PLAY. I have to play in "blocks" 15 - 30 minutes and I'm exhausted, and this is in fact the major cause why I don't like music class or instruction videos. Before my accident I had at least 10 videos 10 books but since 2000, I don't have enough courage to use them. Same here on my PC a long answer or topic takes sometimes 4 hours before it's written (cause has been found end 2007, spinal chord is too narrow from my neck to my a**.) BUT I AM a "POSITIVO" even seeing, feeling that it gets worse month after month. A WHEELCHAIR is already in my HOUSE I believe this tells more than enough about how I feel.
I've got a great life, a real R&R life as doc too, but there are moments in my life where I ask myself to many WHY'S and WHATS. How good I try to make the best of it, it ain't easy and the sun don't shine always. Probably they will put me in hospital again and I am so scared, really scared. I hope this makes things more clear, I know it is CONFUSING but I FEEL CONFUSED.
LOVE AND PEACE

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

6 (edited by NELA 2008-07-21 23:08:43)

DocPhil, I gotta admire you for the effort you are putting forth. I, too have back problems, although no where as severe as what you are going through. I've had 2 back surgeries due to ruptured disc's and was told by the doctor that I could be put on total disability if that was what I wanted. I didn't!!! There is not a day goes by that I don't wake up hurting or go to bed hurting but I do suffer through it. I do not know and probally will never know everything that is going on in your life but even though we are thousands of miles apart you have all my support and prayers. What I mentioned in my post above was not meant to be cruel but I thought I was reading a lotta "Poor Ole Me" issues kinda between the lines. Your accident was a life changing incident that can never be changed. But in reading your posts I can tell that your mind is razor sharp and what you lack in ability you make up for with desire. I'm the kinda guy that has no problems saying what is on his mind. I would rather tell you the facts than to tell you what you want to hear. What I say is said honestly and without malice. Now, enough of that. So you cannot play standing up and must sit. When sitting to play you have problems sitting for long periods of time. OK, so how do we get around that? Is it your wheel chair or just the type of chair you're sitting in that is causing your discomfort while playing. Is some kinda different type of chair needed? Is there some kinda physical therapy excerises you can do to help you sit and play longer? By knowing what the problems are we can come to the solution. Do you have any ideas of what would help remedy your situation? I hear you when you say you would like to take some lessons but would have difficulties getting to and from them. What about a Chordie brother or sister coming to you? I see that you are in Beguim. I don't know the layout there in your part of the world but I do know we have a lotta Chordie brothers and sisters in the surrounding area's. I challenge each and everyone of them to see where they can be of help to you. I know you are a proud man and don't want to ask for assistance but you are in the Chordie Family and family helps family. Come On Chordie - the MAN needs a little SUNSHINE. Lets make it SHINE for him!!!!!!!!!

Your Buddy
Nela

Hey Doc smile
First I want to say thank you for turning me on to the Korg PX5D. It is an awesome little unit that I know will help me tons in learning.I gotta agree with you that the rhythm sections are outstanding. I have a hard time keeping time playing with others but me thinks that is just nerves.
As for your back problems, it's gotta be pretty frustrating only playing for short periods of time before getting sore.I wonder if there is a back brace they can fit you up with to help in this area, maybe one that could transfer all the weight of the guitar on to your hips so your back holds no weight at all. I have had back problems myself and have been out of commission for a year on and off(I just want to be able to put my socks on LOL) Any ways there are lots of types of braces out there,maybe you could talk to your Doc about it.Hope that helps and I agree with Nela that there are more Chordies in Belgium by looking at the Bio's.A brother needs some help so step up to the plate and make the world a better place.
One last thing docphil...Thanks for some of the intriguing questions you have proposed as most times the answers are just as intriguing. smile

Thanks Bro and thinking about ya.

KAP54  aka Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Hi doc,I am in asimiler situation,four years ago my ankle got shredded,and I have bad arthritis in it,I also have disentigrating arthritis in my back.Icant stand for too long,or walk too far. I do exercise daily,tredmill,indoor bike,and the nintendo Wii sports pack I cant say enough about how much help the nintendo has helped me,it makes exercising fun. Have you tried wearing high lace up boots they help alot. Gibson a great guitar,but have you considered  getting one that is less weight? Refuse Too loose attatude is one I have adopted. I Hope something jn here can give you a little lift.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

You should feel great!  Those Korg Panda's are hot little boxes.

Regardless, if you want to improve, the best way is to figure out what you want to improve on, come up with a practice regimen to exercise that skill, and then be disciplined enough to hold too it.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]