Topic: USING A PICK FOR PLAYING?

I've posted a few mails on different sutes of the Forum, this is my first Topic.  I'm 63 this September 2008, i have been playing about a year, I love it.  But i have a problem, I played a flute when i was younger, the same band as James Gallway, so i have a good music and theory background, I am coming along fine playing the Guitar, I can play finger style, and I can strum, not great you understand, but for my level not bad, I am now trying Bluegrass, and here's the problem, no matter how much I try I cannot play with a Pick.
Antbody any ideas?

Luck to all. !!!

Re: USING A PICK FOR PLAYING?

Hi Headcase - What specific problems are you having? If it is just slipping picks, there are all kinds of remedies for that, some have suggested sandpaper, drilling holes in the pick, they also sell some sort of sticky gunk for that problem. I have found that the Dunlop nylon picks which have a texture and raised lettering are the best for me to avoid slippage.

If your problem is more technique related, here's a link to a great exercise that should help:

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TE-002-TheSpider.php

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I used to always play with a pick, but a couple of years ago I sarted playing without one for some reason and I seem to do better.  The sound isn't quite the same, but with time I think my picking fingers have hardened somewhat and the sound is louder.  Everytime I try a pick now, it feels uncomfortable.  At least this is true when I play chords.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

First let me say once again this is a great site. I posted a new topic and I did not expect anything back for a few days.  I was back cheacking anothere topic when I found I had already
had two replies.   To Topdown, thanks i went to the site you suggested and downlodded the pdf file so I will give it a go, to bensonp I know what you mean about struming with your thumb i find I can get as much noise with it as I can with a pick?  Well almost.
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Luck to all.  !!!!

Headcase - That's what the forum is all about - helping each other out. Make sure you go to the bottom of the page on the link I gave you and watch the video. Justin's site is great - a ton of good lessons on there.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I play both with and without a pick depending on the desired outcome. Don't give up on picking you'll be sorry down the line.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Good day, Headcase. You must have played that flute just across the city from where I am typing now.

Flat picking is just the same as fingerpicking - it takes practice and patience. Beyond that essential, there are a few wrinkles that may help.

1. Get yourself a medium to heavy pick and stick with it. Don't go for a thin and whispy one as when you transition from chords to single notes you won't have the grunt to make them ring out. I find that Dunlop tortex yellows are thin, but the material has a rigidity that is perfect for my playing - but its a personal decision.

2. When you are playing chords hold the pick loosely. I find that moving my index finger higher up the pick helps the pick to develop that crucial waggle (?!) and keep the pick in your mit.

3. When picking single note runs, the angle of attack that you give to the pick will also make a difference. There are two dimensions to this. Firstly, hitting the string flat on will produce a ringing note, hitting it at 45 degrees will soften the note. Secondly, twisting the pick so that more of the edge of the pick comes into contact will actually make it easier to pluck the string. I learnt through teaching myself to play mandolin ( which has double the string courses and double the plucking problems ) that twisting the pick increases the speed you can pick while maintaining the volume.

4. Try some cross-picking exercises to develop control of the pick in relation to the strings. Folk of the wood have free lessons at http://www.folkofthewood.com/page5308.htm .

Again, for more in depth discussion about picking check out Folk of the Wood . http://www.folkofthewood.com/page3592.htm.

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

Many thanks to all those who have sent answered  about my problem with a pick, I will follow up the Web Sites Listed.  To Alansheeran I hope I didn't keep you awake at nights, but truthfuly nowdays I couldn't blow up a paper bag, thanks for your tips.

Luck to all. !!!

I think it depends on the song your playing or trying to, some songs just sound better without a pick some dont smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I only tend to use a pick for tabs.

All I know is I feel better when I sing.
Burdens are lifted from me.
That's my voice rising.