Topic: Classical guitar and steel strings?

A friend of mine picked up a classical guitar at a yard sale.  This thing is pretty small and light. Right now it has nylon strings.  Can I put steel strings on it for a different sound or would  the bridge snap on it.
Any Input would be appreciated.
Thanxs

Re: Classical guitar and steel strings?

I've been told you shouldn't put steel strings on a classical guitar. Someone I know did and I had to put them in and, besides being awkward to set up (I impaled my thumb on the top string), they do damage the guitar, as we noticed after a few weeks...

All I know is I feel better when I sing.
Burdens are lifted from me.
That's my voice rising.

Steel strings are under much more tension than the nylon,  they might pull the bridge off before you even got them  tuned.  they would certainly bow the neck over time if you did.   stick to nylon strings for it, that what it was made for.

Gesader wrote:

A friend of mine picked up a classical guitar at a yard sale.  This thing is pretty small and light. Right now it has nylon strings.  Can I put steel strings on it for a different sound or would  the bridge snap on it.
Any Input would be appreciated.
Thanxs

That's a big no-no. I would suggest that you start out with the nylon/folk/classical strings that have the ball-ends on them. Or, ask someone at the music store to show you the best way to tie-off standard classical strings at the bridge. The ball-end strings will get the job done but they dont last as long(the balls break off) as the tied off variety. Keep in mind too that classical strings take a while longer to stretch and acclimate to your instrument. Steel strings will be ready to go after 40-50 gentle lifts(about 2") off the neck. I usually lift my strings at the top of the neck just before the sound hole. With your classical strings the best technique is to string your guitar to 440 A standard and let it sit overnight.

Give everything but up.