Topic: What would you do?

This is a moral issue I thought I would like too see how other members would act. I was offered a very old guitar[a gibson acoustic circa aprox.early 1960 or there abouts].It was offered by a friends relitives . Now I will get too see it sometime next week. I realize It could be worth  alot of money,they dont know,they simply want too give it too someone who will use it.  My friend says they dont care or need money. I feel I should pay them something if it is in decent shape. what whould you do?                                                                                                                                       dino

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Re: What would you do?

Hi Dino,

Be honest, tell them that you would give your eye teeth to own that guitar but also point out to them that it is a top make and because of its age it could be worth quite a bit of money.

If they still want you to have it you will sleep at nights (probably with it at your side lol) and if they sell it you will have the satfisaction of knowing that you you did the right thing.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hi Dino  ( I moved this thread to here by the way, more apt here)

I have a friend that was in the same situation nearly.
He knew someone that lost their son due to death. The father of the son wanted to give my mate a guitar that was worth a lot of money, my mate didnt really want to take it but the guy said he knew it was going to a good home and knew it would be well looked after and sort of forced it onto him.

Sometimes money really does not matter to people wanting to give people things.
I have gave away stuff and never wanted money whether it be expensive or cheap.

But you could say you would rather give them something for it and if they still reject then get them a present, nothing too big, just something to say thanks.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Hi dino48,
A delicious dilemma!  A agree that if the instrument is very valuable that you should tell them about that fact.  But to offer them money might be seen as an insult - so make them aware of it's potential value and graciously accept the gift if they want to bestow it on you.

For non-players, old instruments may have a high degree of sentimental value that is more important than any possible monetary value.  The idea of converting that sentimental value into money may be distasteful.

If they decide to give you this gift, you should do them the honor of learning who it belonged to and how it came into their lives.  Ask a lot of questions and let them tell you all about the history of the guitar and it's former owner.  There are probably many stories they would love to share.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Dino its possible they are aware of its value and because of this they felt a quality instrument such as this deserves a good home with someone who knows the value and will treat it appropriately, but I agree to make them aware of its value and offer something its the right thing to do.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

See what they go for on Ebay and tell tem what it's worth.  Then at least you have tried.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Wow! What a gratifying thread!
When I read the first post, I expected to see a lot of "take it and run...what they don't know won't hurt them" type of responses.
It's great to see every single respondant advising Dino to do the right thing and let the current owners know exactly what it is they have and it's potential value.
I think Upyerkilt and James have it dead on....explain the situation up front and honestly, offer a fair price, but if they still want to make it a gift to you, be gracious and accept it in the spirit in which it was offered AND be sure to give them a thank you gift in return. Something more from the heart than the pocket book in recognition of the sentiment of the item.
Way to go Chordites!

Thank s too all of you,I pretty much intend too offer them the value of the guitar,my friend said they will not take money as they are in good shape money wise,I am thinking I could give them a nice mini vacation close by,and/or donate some money too thier favorite charity .Glad too see such good positive thoughts from all of you. It is nice too be part of a site that has Good moral Integrity.                dino

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino,
   I have a suggestion. Use this new gem of a guitar you're gonna be getting and write a song for the folks who're giving it to you. One good deed deserves another and giving someone a 'one-of-a-kind' gift is indeed a good deed. Both parties benefit! Congratulations and good luck.

SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Thats a great Idea southpaw,but im not that good of a songwriter. These people do have everything,they are Rich.  I am thinking of getting them a nice surprise ride In a hot air balloon,that was one thing my friend thought they had not done.Well I will see the guitar in a few more days.I will let people here know how this all turns out.            dino

A song about being grateful for this gift,thats a good suggestion tony and in a few days hmmm it is possible to do, I'll see if I can get a little help with this from some fellow chordians smile

SouthPaw41L wrote:

dino,
   I have a suggestion. Use this new gem of a guitar you're gonna be getting and write a song for the folks who're giving it to you. One good deed deserves another and giving someone a 'one-of-a-kind' gift is indeed a good deed. Both parties benefit! Congratulations and good luck.

SouthPaw41L

Thanks russell,I can write but i am mainly a blues person, and tunes like crosby, stills nash and young. Mabe some one can think up something I can use,If not I think the hot air balloon ride will give them a great thrill as they are both in thier eighties.               dino

Dino I think the hot air balloon is quite a unique offer I'm sure it will be a first for them, I'm in my sixties and I have never seen one except for pictures and movies I am afraid to fly even tho I did several times a year earlier in my musical career but I would be tempted to ride one of those so maybe your suggestion is the right choice,when are you seeing them? smile

dino48 wrote:

Thanks russell,I can write but i am mainly a blues person, and tunes like crosby, stills nash and young. Mabe some one can think up something I can use,If not I think the hot air balloon ride will give them a great thrill as they are both in thier eighties.               dino

Hi Dino.Lots of good advice here.I like the hot air balloon idea of yours.I also like James and Southpaws idea.Ask them a lot of question about the history of the guitar and that will give you a lot of material to write a song for them that will have true meaning.It will also let them know that the guitar has found the right home.  smile

KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Hi Dino,

Does your fear lie in the revelation to these people as to just how expensive this guitar Is ? and they maybe change there mind in giving it to you ?..
I have given many things away in my life, because i know the people in question needed or desired same for there own pleasure or need.

They are only possesions . We never own anything forever. Some one else is always gonna have what we consider ours now.
Your an honest person, i can tell by your posting here. So continue the honesty with them. Believe me this charactistic in a person is worth its weight in gold. They are wise and have lived a long time. They will find your honesty the payment for this instrument.

If fate has designed your name on it. Just be thankful, then in time, pass it on for no reward just as you recieved it.
There richness is not only in there age, but there giving. Praise be.

Long may you enjoy this guitar.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Old Doll wrote:

If fate has designed your name on it. Just be thankful, then in time, pass it on for no reward just as you recieved it.
There richness is not only in there age, but there giving. Praise be.

Long may you enjoy this guitar.

Old Doll.

That's a great thought Old Doll. Pass it along as a gift to another worthy recipient when the time comes. The mojo in that git will be sure to bring great things!

TopDown (aka worthy recipient big_smile )

P.S. Be sure to post a pic when you can!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Thanks too all of you  for your heartfelt answers.I will get too see it this sunday. The way my friend described it  and the year leads me too belive it may be a gibson C8, I have checked a vintage guitar site,they put the values { money wise that is] starting at $1,500 to $2,300.  he seems too think they would really like the balloon ride,so that is what  I would like too surprise them with,They also love cats so I could donate money too a local animal shelter.  Old doll I really enjoyed the little diddy about fate.                   dino

I think it would be responsible and right for you to inform the person that the guitar may be valuable, that older Martin's are well sought after instruments.  If they don't care or continue to want to give it to you, then you are free to accept the instrument with a clear conscience. 

This situation is an interesting metaphor for Christian faith.  I can't speak to other faiths, because I don't know them well.  But Christian faith relies upon a gift (Jesus' sacrifice) and someone being willing to accept that gift (forgiveness of their sins).  Many people do not wish to accept the gift because they think they are not worthy of it.  The thing about gifts, though, is that you don't have to be worthy in your eyes but only in the eyes of the giver.  If the criteria this person has set for the guitar is that they want someone playing it, and you would in fact play it, then you have met the criteria of worthiness in the giver's eyes.  There is no cause for guilt.  Just accept the gift and be grateful, with the caveat that you first have informed them of the potential value of the guitar. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

A friend of mine had a Guild that he bought for $150.00. A repair from is brother and it is good as new. He offered it to me for what he paid for it! $150.00. I said YES!!!! Could I afford it. NO!!!
He knew exactly what it was worth. It ate away at his soul that no one was playing it. It's only purpose in life and it's withering away. So he sold it to me. And I have it sitting in a stand and play it every day. The point is If I didn't take it for the $150.00 it would rob him from his blessing that he would get for selling it to me for a GREAT price. And I don't want to do that. 8-)
Long Live Good Hearted People!!

"I want my 2 Dollars!!!!!"

20 (edited by dino48 2008-08-11 05:21:04)

Hello all,first of all thank you all for your great comments and replys.Got the guitar today.It is a gibson C8 ,not totally positive as the paper inside is partilly torn away. It is in great shape and sounds too sweet too describe,It seems alot heavier than anything I have picked up latlely. Well I got them two tickets too ride a hot air baloon at a location near san francisco . They Are very excited they  have been and done almost everything and that was one thing they have never done,I plan too take them out too a good restaurant after the ride,                  dino                                                       ps I know when I can not play guitar anymore I will give this too someone who will appreciate the Insturment.[pay it forward]

21 (edited by Old Doll 2008-08-11 06:35:32)

So So Pleased for you Dino.

Your karma clock ws ticking loudly. It was your time to recieve.

God's mill may grind slowly, but it grinds finely.

Enjoy your new musical baby.

Old  Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Thanks old doll,and yes i  think the karma and gods will shined down on me. I wont forget it as I know acouple of good young people who llove too play guitar and when I stop I will give it too one of them,thats the pay it forward part.                            dino

Good for you Dino smile
Enjoy your lunch and the memories you will receive from this fine gift you have been given and the fine gift you have given in return. (maybe some pictures of their balloon flight for us to appreciate)

Thanks for the good deed

KAP54 smile

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

good stuff Dino,
hope you enjoy the guitar and hope they enjoy thier hot air balloon.

All the best

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Thanks kap and upyerkilt,I cant get enough of this guitar it has such a great sound and the neck is like butter Its so easy too play.Hey kap how was your camping trip good I hope.Did you play some dueling bangos?, I have one friend that is from alabama and everytime he comes over I play that as he comes up the walkway ,he turns a little red in the face,but he has a good sense of humor.        dino