Topic: I READ THIS MORE THAN ONCE.

It's about THE DOORS. The song THE END.

The most SELFISH BOMBASTIC & OVERRATED SONG BY THE MOST SELFISH BOMBASTIC and OVERRATED JIM MORISSON.

In a way I do agree, but I'm afraid I step on a lot of toes here.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: I READ THIS MORE THAN ONCE.

I wouldnt say he is over rated Liven,
I would say though that there was a lot of hype around him, but as for his lyrics I would say he had a true tallent, as a musician....well.. he had to get our his face to perform most of the time as far as I am led to believe so not very good in that respect.

And I love that song

THE END

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I love that song too, but it's  about attitude because at THE END he was a man with a lot of PRETENTIOUSNESS. This is a better EXPRESSION.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

4 (edited by arkady 2008-08-04 17:10:31)

Doc
I think that Jim Morrison and the Doors where somewhat overated. Morrison dying young probally helped the mystic surrounding him.
The End a great song and used so well as in the movie Apocalypse Now. What an awesome  start to a great Vietnam War film..
Ark

Great song and great group.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Morrison was unique, his lyrics were colorful, intellectual, and painfully true. His stage persona was that of Godzilla stature. He was unpredictable, sang in tongues at times, and was as controversial a singer that ever hit the big time. He had the looks of a male model and the mind of a mad scientist. The dude could flat out sing his butt off, when he chose to do so.
    Ray Manzarek was/is sensational on the keys/organ, John Densmore was/is a tasteful drummer who knew when to step it up and when to step it down, and Robby Krieger was/is an incredibly talented guitar player who was upstaged and underated due to Morrisons' larger than life image.
   I personally do not feel as though The Doors were overrated. In my opinion they were very deserving of the huge level of success they obtained. The combination of punk, psychedelic, and main steam rock and roll was a great mix of stylistic ingredients that served up a triumphant dish of cool music.

Give everything but up.

One of my favorite songs by The Doors ... I'm not sure about being over-rated ... most of what I've seen, heard, and read didnt seem to put them in the icon status like Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, etc but maybe it's predominant in other areas of the world

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

One band sure to get me reaching for the off switch of the radio.... The Doors. Pretentious Nonsense!

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I have to agree with you here Doc.  I find the doors to be quite pretentious, especialy when they tried to get deep.  Morrison was too self indulgent and rambling for my taste.  The band had excellent musicians,  but I feel they were at their best when sticking to pop songs, or blues covers.

I agree Doc. Way overrated. "I am the Lizard King I can do anything"; this is a great poet/lyricist of his generation? My 6 year old rhymes with more complexity? A pretty good backing band; tight enough. But even they weren't ground breakers. IMO they got way more than they deserved. And the whole dying young thing is just pathetic. Can't handle reality so turn to booze and heroin, how is that tragic? How is that laudable? Pathos..pure and simple

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

It is not really about the music it's JIM MORISSON, I make a topic of him.

In that case...yes Morrison is overrated. He was a mediocre poet and a mediocre singer IMO. What I'm saying is there are certainly much better singers then and now and obviously much better poets then and now. Considering the attention and recognition he gets (then and still now); OVERRATED.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

First off 'selfish' strange charge since the majority of songs are personal. Bombastic? Not really 'The End' is almost painfully up close and personal. If there's a problem with that song it's that Morrisson does a halloween trick on you. He hooks you, reels you in with beauty then suddenly hits you with the oedipal ugly bit.

Morrisson is only over-rated if you start breaking him down into sections. Songwriter? Well he would speak-sing his lyrics and Krieger etc would say 'oh that sounds like G minor'. Poet? Always better live than on the printed page. Human being? Borderline psychotic.

But as a whole package, which is what you get in a rock show, he had the looks, the command, the vision and the music. As a whole package he was compelling.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

I wonder why when i read this The wonderful "Amy  jade Winehouse came to mind ?

Well the wonderful person she is behind the ugly presentation of her ?

I do wish they would leave her be.
Ive actually written a song about her and they way she is treated. I wouldnt treat my dogs like that!
someday soon ill get around to posting it.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NDXgKIpJyIk

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Thanks Dolly, I was so much occupied by "MORISSON" that I forgot some others like AMY WINEHOUSE.

I seem to have a problem with musicians who stay high/drunk. I respect the song or vocal whatever their role is in the band but I always have to ask are the drugs/alcohol inhibiting or helping the creativity? I always seem to lean towards the school of thought that says "anyone can get blazed and tap into that off kilter drug place to get 'inspiration!!'"
I know not everybody agrees with that. I have friends that disagree COMPLETELY. But having never been a druggy or a drinker, I guess I respect people who do not have to alter their mind to be "creative" more than one who seems to need that extra "push."
But that's just me. 8-)

"I want my 2 Dollars!!!!!"

stretch papa wrote:

I seem to have a problem with musicians who stay high/drunk. I respect the song or vocal whatever their role is in the band but I always have to ask are the drugs/alcohol inhibiting or helping the creativity? I always seem to lean towards the school of thought that says "anyone can get blazed and tap into that off kilter drug place to get 'inspiration!!'"
I know not everybody agrees with that. I have friends that disagree COMPLETELY. But having never been a druggy or a drinker, I guess I respect people who do not have to alter their mind to be "creative" more than one who seems to need that extra "push."
But that's just me. 8-)

Don't knock it 'til you try it.............And be careful not to hurt your ankle when you dismount your "high" horse. hahahaha

Give everything but up.

Jim Morrison rules - what can I say - Young - Intelligent - Charismatic -
Let dead dogs lie - and let  true fans of the doors bask in their winderful music.The End.
(as for using this song in a vietnam flick.........Blah! - What a silly war -  )

"It's all about the Calluses, once you got them, you can't get rid of em!"

I belive jim morrison was a concited self indulgent person,who was on heavy drugs and booze most of the time.nevertheless he did put out some of the bestsongs of his era. I still like too listen too alot of them. Seems alot of the bands and performers of that time were into drugs and booze alot.Hey ziggystardust,their is nothing silly about the viet nam  war,I lost alot of friends there.         dino

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Sorry - My mates dad was also severly effected by that war - It seems like the ripples have not faded.
I just think - Morrison is a true shamen, he paved the way for many performers after him, shame he died.
To be a frontman in a band requires alot of indulging.( If you you wanna be good that is )
Truley don't speak ill of the dead!

"It's all about the Calluses, once you got them, you can't get rid of em!"