Topic: 3 man bands HOW DO THEY DO IT?

Same question but how do a mot of these bands manage it?
WHO IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR HERE? Of course you need a very SOLID RHYTHM SECTION but some of these guys like CLAPTON, HENDRIX even ALVIN LEE (I don't include the keyboards, you almost can't hear them) to play as if they were playing with at least with 2-3 guitars, there is 1 song I always loved: I'm going home by TYA = Alvin Lee. How does he do it playing that way, all together, solo and riffs at the same time

I admire a lot the 3 man band, 1 guitar player and 1 bass and 1 drum.
The rhythm section is or has to be really good, like
- The CREAM: If you hear songs from them you can't believe they were only 3 members included 1 guitar player.
- The JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE: Jimi plays it all at the same time, impressive solos with rhythm guitar blended to a fantastic band.
- CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL, I am a huge fan of them, and when TOM FOGERTY left the band, they continued with 3. I have a CD with CCR live, in the original line up, and CCR LIVE in Europe, with the 3 remaining members. John Fogerty may not be the most talented guitar but some songs on the album, like "Keep on Chooglin' " is amazing, the way he combines rhythm + solo.

I would add Ten Years After, but they have an extra member on keyboards. I always taught they were 3, until I discovered the 4th member. I believe you don't hear a lot of keyboards on the magnificent performance on Woodstock 1969. The way Alvin Lee played there is one of my all time favorites, with "I'M GOING HOME" what that man "squeezes out" of his guitar AMAZING

Do you know other bands with a 3 man line-up?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: 3 man bands HOW DO THEY DO IT?

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble,  Rush,  Nirvana and the John Mayor Trio.

but I would also mention bands like Led Zeppelen,  Van Halen,  The Who, and Rage Against the Machine/Audioslave,  as they are a power trio plus vocalist.

mixter102 wrote:

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble,  Rush,  Nirvana and the John Mayor Trio.

but I would also mention bands like Led Zeppelen,  Van Halen,  The Who, and Rage Against the Machine/Audioslave,  as they are a power trio plus vocalist.

Stevie Ray & Double trouble were a 4 piece band( Reece Wynans, keyboards)

I'll throw in a few;
ZZ Top                                               Meat Puppets
Primus                                                Violent Femmes
The James Gang                                Dinosoar Jr
Grand Funk Railroad                          Melvins
The Police                                          Everclear
Motorhead                                          Kings X
The Outfield                                       Los Lonely Boys
Robin Trower Band                             Seether
The Jam                                              North Mississippi All Stars
Triumph                                               Sublime
The Minutmen                                     Blink 182
Gov't Mule(early days)                       Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
Hot Tuna                                             Beck, Bogart, and Appice

'at's about all I can think of at the moment. I love trios, everyone's has a ton of stuff to do in order to produce a big, powerful sound.........

Give everything but up.

SRV and Double Trouble started as a trio,  SRV on guitar, Tommy Shannon on bass and Chris Layton on drums.  they are the only musicians credited on Texas Flood.

SOUTHPAW!!!!!!!!!

throw in a few???
ye just mentioned all the ones I was going to,lol.

3 man bands that stand out for me is

the jam,
police,
rush and Nirvana.

But like Mixter says about adding in a few others like The Who etc, maybe a 4 person band but wrote loads of songs with just guitar, drum and bass.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

John Butler Trio and Jack Johnson. Jacks started using Zack from ALO on piano some for recording and occasionally on tour but I'd still consider them a 3 man band. Zack only plays along when he's not busy with his own projects.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Muse- and they're awsome
Manic Street Preachers

Our band, John Reno and the Half-Fast Creekers, is a trio of guitar, harmonica and tuba. If you click on our myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/johnrenomusic
Cut 2 and 4 are recordings of the origional trio.
Cuts 1 and 3 are of the trio plus steel drums, drums and lead guitar.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

G-Love and Special Sauce

We Are Scientists were a three man band for ages
They went down to two for a bit after the drummer left
Now they're up to four, I think..

Can't think of any others right now...

-Kerry-

All I know is I feel better when I sing.
Burdens are lifted from me.
That's my voice rising.

gotta mention ZZ Top!

All You Need is Love smile

HI, Tubatooter, didn't have the opportunity to say welcome, I am really interested in your band.
Only GUITAR, HARMONICA & TUBA, must be a nice combination. No drums? No bass?
Sounds great

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

13 (edited by tubatooter1940 2008-11-14 07:22:02)

Thank you, Gitaardocphil.
Our first C.D., "A Bonified Social Club" was a live performance with guitar, tuba and harmonica only. The sound worked for some strange reason and we didn't sound like anybody.
When we recorded "Magic Chair" two years later, we added drums, pans (steel drums) and a lead guitarist.
Listen to more cuts at: http://cdbaby.com/cd/johnrenohfc
John Reno recently made an all - comedy album entitled "Tactical Broaching" with just his rhythm guitar and Bret Gambino on lead.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Nirvana

"Policeman shouts but I don't see him/ They're one thing I don't believe in"
-Tomorrow, 'My White Bicycle'

U2

white lies (i'm going to see them and i met the bassist!)

"In a mad world it is the mad who are sane" Craig Nicholls