Topic: strum patterns

As a novice, I find the chord charts really useful but I am still struggling to pick out the strum patterns for songs. I know that they change during a song, but there is usually a 'main strum' pattern that almost defines the song. I am now at the stage when I can 'almost' hear it clearly, but I still can't work it out...

I am particularly interested in the following songs so if anyone can start me off with some basic strum patterns for any of these songs I would really apprecite it.

Rocking in the free world.

when september ends

dancing in the dark.

cheers

Re: strum patterns

Hi Van_Hobble and welcome to Chordie!

I suggest you search the forum by using the search feature at the top of the page. This is a FAQ and most beginners struggle with it (I know I did!). The bottom line for me is - don't get hung up on patterns, listen to the music until you "feel" the rhythm - one day soon it'll "click" and you will be right there!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Two suggestions I could make here.

1. Try altering the balance on your amp so you hear only the Left or the Right channel. Depending on how the instruments were panned in the studio, you may hear the rhythm guitar more clearly.

2. Download a MIDI file of the song and isolate just the rhythm  guitar (along with, perhaps, the drums and Bass).

The latter is one way I've found to identify the chords in a song. Of course, this depends on the MIDI file composer having got it right in the first place. Your ears will tell you.

cheers people

bwriter - next question - where would you suggest I look for midi files ?