Topic: Need some motivation...don't want to play the electric enaymore....

Hey guys, I was so excited back in the spring when I got my first electric guitar.  There were so many songs I wanted to learn! But lately I've found myself grabbing my acoustic every time I feel like playing.  While I'm learning new techniques, songs, and coming up with my own arrangements of songs on my acoustic, it seems like whenever I plug in my Danelectro and work on playing something I just find myself frusterated because I can't play fast enough, bend a string up enough (which isn't easy on a 12-string), or just get the right sound.  I have one of those Guitar Tab White Pages books with a ton of songs I know and like, in addition to other music I've found online, but it seems like he songs require either different equipment (ie pedals, amps) or just a really high level of playing.  What can I do to improve here?

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

2 (edited by dino48 2008-08-16 04:34:01)

Re: Need some motivation...don't want to play the electric enaymore....

Hi 06sc500, my first guitar was an electric and like you I seemed too become a non player after awhile,I went out and bought a cheap acoustic sears guitar.I had a hard time putting it down . I only play certain songs and riffs on my electric even too this day.Seems an acoustic can stand alone by its self.are you playing alone most of the time? that makes a difference also. You may just be an acoustic player.Thats just my thoughts,I am sure you will hear many other members thoughts soon. Yoy may also after some years from now go over too piano,as many guitarist do switch back and forth,as I have gotten a korg pro series.I go back and forth some days I will play guitar and some I will play  the korg.I just went back and re read your post, are you playing atwelve string electric? That could be  A problem,they are alot different then a six string, you can always take off the extra six strings,that will make a huge differance. Sorry you had too wade through the rest of my answer.               dino

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Sell the electric and go with what you feel you can best express yourself with.You feel more comfortable with the accustic thats why you always grab it first so why fight it smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

dino48 wrote:

Hi 06sc500, my first guitar was an electric and like you I seemed too become a non player after awhile,I went out and bought a cheap acoustic sears guitar.I had a hard time putting it down . I only play certain songs and riffs on my electric even too this day.Seems an acoustic can stand alone by its self.are you playing alone most of the time? that makes a difference also. You may just be an acoustic player.Thats just my thoughts,I am sure you will hear many other members thoughts soon. Yoy may also after some years from now go over too piano,as many guitarist do switch back and forth,as I have gotten a korg pro series.I go back and forth some days I will play guitar and some I will play  the korg.I just went back and re read your post, are you playing atwelve string electric? That could be  A problem,they are alot different then a six string, you can always take off the extra six strings,that will make a huge differance. Sorry you had too wade through the rest of my answer.               dino

Yeah I know how to play piano, but because I've spent my time playing guitar I'm not that good.  About the electric, I really like the sound of the 12-string (why I got it in the first place), and once I tried taking 6 of the strings off, but the action was so low that they just rattled and buzzed.  And to answer your other question yes I do play alone most of the time.  I really do like my 12-string though, I just think I need to take some time and sit down and learn some music on it, like I did with my acoustic.

Switchfoot

I find that I bounce back and forth from my PSR2000 keyboard to my Cort acoustic/electric.At this point in my abilities I consider myself as a novice bigtime.I also find that I get inspiration from one instrument which feeds back to the other.I know my limitations as a player so I try not to put any pressure on myself as that will only increase the frustration of trying to play songs out of my league.
Accept your skill level,practice quality practice to get gooder and play all the instruments you have at your disposal to find inspiration to play the other instruments.

Hope that helps smile

KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

6 (edited by arkady 2008-08-16 13:28:44)

Hi 06sc500
I've owned both electric, electro acoustic and acoustic and the way I see it is for the amateur player the elecro acoustic is the most  versatile of the bunch.
It gives alot of the attributes of electric when set up with right stuff with the ability of taking on a more acoustic role when needed...
So if your've got little motivation for electric why bother?
My thoughts
Ark

arkady wrote:

Hi 06sc500
I've owned both electric, electro acoustic and acoustic and the way I see it is for the amateur player the elecro acoustic is the most  versatile of the bunch.
It gives alot of the attributes of electric when set up with right stuff with the ability of taking on a more acoustic role when needed...
So if your've got little motivation for electric why bother?
My thoughts
Ark

Well, I guess I just need to take the time to "learn" the instrument, like I have with my acoustic.  I played for a while today and found that some stuff I've been working on actually doesn't sound all that bad smile

Switchfoot

I was wondering what kind of electric do you have, I know its a danelectro, but what model, the reason I'm asking is because i've gone through maybe 20 to 30 different guitars over the 19 years I've been playing and I'm just know finding the type of body styles and brands I like. That maybe your bigest problem is find that guitar that was built just for you.

mhall1101 wrote:

I was wondering what kind of electric do you have, I know its a danelectro, but what model, the reason I'm asking is because i've gone through maybe 20 to 30 different guitars over the 19 years I've been playing and I'm just know finding the type of body styles and brands I like. That maybe your bigest problem is find that guitar that was built just for you.

Mine is a Danelectro Hodad 12-string, around a 2000 model I think.  I love the guitar, it plays great.  I think I'll try to get some easier music-trying to play Eric Johnson isn't working.  I have music for Little Wing and the Texas Flood intro, so I'll be working on these.  Thanks for your replies!

Switchfoot

1) It's just a phase, you'll return to the electric when you're ready.

2) Are you in  a band? The solid electric is built to cut-through a band mix. Once you're playing with others you'll understand it's charms more.

3) Maybe it's just  not your band instrument, have you ever thought of bass?

4) Maybe you have voicingitis. The trouble with electric is two similar (to the audience) songs can demand markedly different settings. So when you're practicing things don't sound right. Getting a routine for working effects is another guitar skill. You may need to get into multi-pedal devices. Ah, the relief when I got into bass and was free of voicing concerns ;-)

5) Don't think a traditional semi will be a halfway house. They handle like an electric, not sure about the new hybrid guitars though.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

The thing is, you have to make a commitment to electric as a different thing. It is a different instrument requiring a different approach, a different touch. Tuning is more critical, fine finger control, knowing other chord voicings and how to use the pickup switch and other controls to get different tones are important. It is similar to the difference between piano and organ - same interface, different voices. Both have their own beauty.

I recommend learning an electric song, on electric - not the strum-along chord changes, but the real part from the recording. Pick something that you like and something that is not even possible on acoustic. Something that requires you to roll the volume knob up and down, switch pickups or switch reverb on and off. Then you'll have 2 powerful allies in expressing yourself.

Play each one when the notion takes you. I go through cycles: for a while all I wanted was to thrash the electric, then I went to the acoustic for singing, then electric blues, then acoustic - yada yada yada. DON'T SELL IT. You will regret it. Maybe you need a new peace of equipment to inspire you. I don't necessarily mean a guitar or amp: buy a pedal, or a slide, or listen to some different music. Sorry for rambling. Bit pissed. But seriously, I had a great time today with my Tele, tomorrow I may play acoustic, it depends on the hangover and the mood.

No desire to touch the fire,
It's just a...just a sad obsession.

My friend....Keep this little quote in mind....always.........One thing about talent...Not everyone was blessed with it, but one can certinly aquired it!

" A quiter never wins, winners never quit"