Topic: String through ferrels

Should the string through ferrels in a string through Tele body fit a little loose and have to be glued in place or be so tight as to have to be tapped in ? I realize they come in different sizes, but the ones that seem to be right for the standard holes are still a little loose ? Thanks for any help you can give..FiveO

Re: String through ferrels

All the one's I've seen had to be firmly pressed or carefully tapped in . . . for a snug fit . . . .

Royce is right: the FERRULES should fit snug. If they're loose, you might get some gel (thick) superglue (I prefer the Loctite brand). Remove the strings and the ferrules, then put a small amount of superglue into each hole (just a little) -perhaps on two opposite sides of each hole. Press the ferrules in, and immediately clean any glue with a cotton cloth! If you put too much glue in each hole, it will squeeze out and ruin your guitar finish!

If this method doesn't work, your holes are drilled too wide. I would use a tiny amount of wood putty and carefully smear it into each hole. Use a toothpick to remove excess. While the woodputty is still soft, press the ferrules in, then clean up around them so that the finish doesn't suffer. Also use the same toothpick to clear the tiny hole where the string enters the ferrule -just in case putty obstructs the string hole -a short cutoff from a low E-String will do a nice job of clearing the string holes.

Carry on FiveO!

Thanks guys for responding, you've  been helpful....FiveO