Topic: double stops

Does any one know how to do those cool double stop bends like chuck berry?

"Nobody paints by ear so why would I play guitar by sight?" hmm

Re: double stops

What song by Chuck Berry are you refering to that has these double stops,ive played all of chuck berrys songs can you be a little more specific? smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

like roll over bethoven and carol and the like. it sounds like he does bends in his double stops. i might be hearing it wrong.

"Nobody paints by ear so why would I play guitar by sight?" hmm

You can bend strings with one finger or two depending on the guage of the strings or the strength of your fingers smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

A common bluesy bend goes like this:
Envision the basic pentatonic scale for a given key.
So, for Amin/A7 - E string 5th and 8th, A string 5th and 7th, D 5th & 7th, G 5th & 7th, B 5th and 8th, E 5th & 8th.

Notice the shape of the second notes on the bottom 3 strings. 7, 8, 8.
Try holding down all three and after hitting all three with the pick, hold the bottom 2 string down without bending while quickly bending the G string up a half step or, even a whole step as the notes sustain.

Alternately, do the same move on the B and G only while muting the skinny E string. You should get a nice train meets steel guitar effect that Chuck (and many others) used to good effect.

Normally, when I think of double stops, I think of the move where you skip a string and play, say, the E and G or the B and D strings only and slide them together, like the intro to Soul Man.