Topic: How many of you, "fellow chordians"is playing in a band?

-1) How many of you play in a band?
-2) How many of you remain almost an eternity in the rehearsal faze?
-3) WHAT IS ESSENTIAL TO PERFORM IN PUBLIC?
-4) How many are dreaming of playing in public?
-5) Do you need SELF CONFIDENCE? and what if you are shy.
TO BE HONEST: I am too shy to play in front of some people, HOW can you avoid this "being shy"
-6) How many of you play alone? 

I play pretty good, but I never had the time to play in a band. If I should record my "playing alone" it would be amazing how bad my rhythm is.
RESULT: I have a small studio BOSS BR 600, BUT MORE IMPORTANT IS THAT I HAVE A KORG PANDORA PX5D providing me all I need, bass, drums and a lot of effects.

IS THIS A VERY GOOD IDEA OR START playing alone using an electronic compagnon?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: How many of you, "fellow chordians"is playing in a band?

Don't but have.  I have been in two orchestras, a stage band, a Dixieland band, and a praise band.  Only the praise band is relatively recent. 

I am stuck in rehearsal phase.  Even when in a band, it's months of rehearsal for an hour of stage time. 

The thing that is essential to playing in public is permission.  One should not just show up to play unless invited.  Otherwise, it's just like practice except with a bunch of people listening.

Not dreaming of it. 

You  need confidence in yourself and your band mates.  That's what practice is for.  If you are shy, that's your deal.  A lot of musicians are nervous until they start playing.

I play at home. 

If you get the opportunity to play with others Doc, I highly recommend it.  It requires a level of cooperation and understanding of common needs that will rocket your playing skills upwards.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I have played in my church band for nearly 13 years. This is not your ordinary church band I can assure you. We rely heavily on God and if any thing take a "less is more" approach to practice. Not that we don't practice. Every week, 3x's a week. One dedicated day and before each service. I am not saying that is the right way, that is just how we roll! There has been MANY people in and out and in again. I primarily (First Instrument) play drums and continue to. I also have played acoustic and bass in the same environment. We play many of the songs I've written and I always sing them whether on the drums or guitar. (Mostly the drums) All that to say, it is my opinion that if you feel it when you play it alone than you need to be able to envoke that feeling in others as you play. Does that involve confidence? Yeah. Is it all confidence. No. Broadway theatres take there performance on the road to smaller venues to work out the bugs and see what works the best etc. Why? Besides the obvious, they are gaining confidence with each performance. Not everybody starts out with confidence, but those who gain it will not lose it.
There is a musician, you may have heard of him. He is big time inside the industry. Don Potter. He made an album called "Facing The Wall." The premise was based on not playing for the approval of people , in his case, but for the approval of God and himself.
Thus facing the wall. It is a brilliant album. Point is that, when you can play a song, like in his case, with passion and feeling for God or whoever, people will pick up on that and that is what makes performers electric!! When people believe you!! They believe what you say becuase you believe what you say. Does ever performer have it, NO! Do you need that, NO! Do I want it, HECK YEAH!! That has always been my goal. I have reeached it on occasion, but not enough in my opinion.
If you think you have something to say, SAY IT. We have a saying in our band we tell musicians who seem to be holding back or a bit unconfident, treading lightly. "DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!"
Commit to what you are going to do and deal with the consequences, if any, after. Meaning, Don't be scared to make a mistake. The're going to happen anyway. As the drummer, when I screw up it's usually HUGE!!! Oh well. I'll have to play better next time.
Understand I am not saying don't try hard, just give yourself a little grace when despite your best efforts you fall. We usually recover better when we give grace than when we are extremely hard on ourselves. 8-)
I hope this will encourage you, that has been my intent. Just remember.....
"DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!!!!"

"I want my 2 Dollars!!!!!"

4 (edited by tubatooter1940 2008-09-16 05:08:45)

1. I play in a band called John Reno and the Half-Fast Creekers.
2. Rehearsal is vital - especially if you play the same joint 6 nights a week. New material is a lifeline to income. It keeps the management, band members and the customers interested.
3. To perform in public, one must have a polished act consisting of four hours of music your target audience would appreciate - at least 40 tunes.
4. Don't dream of playing in public, do it. Open mike nights are a good place to find out if your prepared material is enjoyable to an audience.
5. Self confidence comes from more than adequate preparation. Drill your new tunes until all lyrics are remembered and music and words together flow like they are supposed to. When you drill a song until you are so sick of it you never want to play or hear it again, you have that one "down".
Shyness can be overcome with a super tight show with better material than the competition.
6. I played a single guitar/vocalist act for 10 years. I you can stay cheered up while working alone you can make more money than with a band. Bands pay less but are lots more fun. My voice is o.k. and I only strum. In a band I can play horns and sing back up to a lead singer with a better vocal instrument.
Dennis Gray
tubatooter1940
http://www.myspace.com/johnrenomusic

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I was in two bands when I was in high school,Now I get a call about every six  nonths from a group that lives about one hundred miles away from me. They book play gigs at some monterey or santa cruze blues and jazz clubs.I play an electric acoustic with them about six or seven songs a night.I have a good time and do not want money ,they always pay for my gas and food.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I played in a band called Crushed Velvet. We did some gigs private parties but never got the satisfaction I get when I play a song for my family and kids. They think I can do anything! They are my best fans. Never critisizing always cheering. That is good for my ego. My best work is done alone when I get that itch to have to play...you know?

I don't know if this counts but we have a little foursome called, Crash Helmut Jug Band and we get together and play at Kitchen parties. We never rehearse at all just get some people in the kitchen and have a fun time. Spirits flow, great food to eat, and the music is great. Sometimes we will work out a song and add it to our nite. On any given nite we will play instruments like,
harmonica's, gazoo's, bongos,shakers,eggs,tamborines,acoustic bass,acoustic guitars,fiddle,
and tin flute. To us it's just pure fun and I always look forward to the next jam.

Take Care.. Badeye  cool

one caper after another

I'm currently playing in a 3 person band but all my public gigs (only 2 so far) have been solo.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]