Topic: new guitar help

hello everyone, i was thinking on learning to play a guitar and looking to buy this guitar, is this a good guitar to start with.  any comments, suggestios are very much appreciated. thanks alot guys & gals.

http://www.ibanez.com/acoustic/guitar.aspx?m=AEF18EBK

Re: new guitar help

Looks nice.

Hello Basti and welcome to Chordie,

I have not played an Ibanez myself but I am sure from previous posts that there are several Members who use this make and are very happy with it.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

It looks like a good guitar. Ibanez are a good brand so you will get a long time out of it. It's an Electric-Acoustic so you could get an amp to.

Try to find one and play it. Compare it to others...it's the best way to choose. Ibanez is a quality brand but try to get your hands on a few. Even if you're a beginner you should feel a difference.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

The best possible advice I can give you is don't assume that a named brand is better.  Its usually is but there are some fantastic guitars out there. Take your time, play it a few times. Look at the action, you'll appreciate it being lower when you improve and want to play higher up the neck!  listen for tones in the bass, middle and high strings. Do you want it for fingerpicking or strumming, home use or gigging with buddies.  Get the best possible guitar you can....the more you spend the better guitar you tend to get but obviously you dont need to spend thousands.  Beyond the obvious look at Takamines (very underrated) and Cort (some sounds are comparable with a Martin)....I  personally love the Ovation guitar. Of course you can't go wrong with Gibson and martin but they are pricey!.... But make sure you play them all, do it twice  and then decide! im not sure about Ibannez but compare against other and ASK the guitar guy in the shop for help...they are usually only delighted to show off and will help you avoid pitfalls!!

Hi Geoaguiar and Adrianos,

If you check Basti's post you will see that he/she is looking to learn to play on the Ibanez guitar so it is unlikely he/she is able to play it to make a comparison. Whilst your advise is excellent for a player choosing a new guitar, a non player is unlikely to be able take advantage of it, but if Basti has a friend who already is a player taking them along armed with your advise is a good idea.

Roger

thanks alot guys for the reply's. i dont have any friends here in new york that play guitar since i just move here about a year ago. i choose this guitar because i used to remember one of my classmate back in highschool play an ibanez guitar, but beyond that i have no idea how i will choose a guitar for me to start with sad. well and this one looks kick ass. anyways thanks alot for the reply really appreciate it. hope you all have a good day.

ps. im a guy

Hi Basti,

I hope, when you take the plunge, that you are satisfied with your purchase. Please let us know what guitar you do decide on and I hope it gives you years of pleasure.

Roger

Hi Basti and welcome to Chordie!!!

This Ibanez looks fantastic; light years better than my first "real" guitar (a Fender).  The others have given great advice, but I'd tend to agree that unless you're able to strum out a few chords (soon!) that advice won't do you much good.  I'd say your best bet would be to have a price range in mind and let a player from the store staff play a few for you.  You'll hear differences in tonality and volume and you'll prefer some over others.  Then hold it yourself and just press some strings down onto the fretboard; some will feel worse on your fingertips than others (they'll probably all hurt wink - this is what is refered to as the "action" of the guitar).  I play a Parkwood (made by Cort and sold at GC) and have found the value to be outstanding.

Can't wait to hear what you've decided on!

Caracena
> One of these days I'll think of a clever signature <

Hi, to all, I'm new here. nice meeting you all

I'm a big fan of James Taylor and Steven Curtis chapman, I got lyrics and guitar chords at chordie but not all. So if you have the lyrics  with lyrics of these great artists please send me. Thank you so much and have a great day.  you can send it to my e-mail add. tnx so much

Hi basti,I had an Ibanez ,but it was a fender strat copy not an acoustic,I was an excellant guitar.Someone wanted too trade me for a les paul and I did. You might want too spend alot of time in a few music stores trying several guitars out,take your time and see which one feels good and sounds good.It is nice too have agood looking guitar,but it is better too have one that feels right too you. Also might ask some of the other players in the store what they think.    dino

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

ok im back! tongue got my guitar tho its not the one i linked on my first post, because it was out of stock. where ever i go online every store they told me that i have to wait  till dec to get that model, so i search for a local store here near my place it was called "alto music store" and they have loads of guitar. tried a few model and brands (even tho i really don't know how to pick a best one) so i go by what you guys said; what ever feels like and sounds like comfortable for me. i ended up goin home with this guitar;

http://www.ibanez.com/acoustic/guitar.aspx?m=AEF30ETBK

it feels great looks ok, it sounded a bit higher tho like the notes are a little higher than what i remember from a song when i try playing it. but its maybe just the tuning, so got it last sat. and i've been practizing since then i think my fingers are numb now (it really hurts tongue) but it was worth it i was able to finished a song (a really easy one) from a local band. and it just great. tongue

thanks alot guys really appreciate all the help. /cheers

have a good day everyone...