Topic: exspensive ukes ?

I am getting ready for a hospital operation and am getting ready to lay on the sofa for about 8 weeks ( true ) ... so I am getting my mandolin ready as something to do positively while I am laid up . ( I already play guitar) .... so I was thinking about getting a ukulele as well to pass the time . But I went on a few websites and couldnt believe the prices .I dont want to waste money on something that is cheap and unplayable but cant afford £ 300 ( 200 dollars aprox) . Is there a big difference in quality on such a small basic instrument ? as I always thought of them as a kind of toy until now . ( forgive me uke lovers - my opinion has changed since listening to stuff done with it - its amazing when played well ! ) ..... I expected to pay about £ 30 ( 20 dollars aprox ) .

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

2 (edited by Guitarpix 2008-09-18 11:35:26)

Re: exspensive ukes ?

If you're looking for really good deal on a uke try doing a search for Amigo ukulele. You'll find Solid spruce topped ukes for around $35!! I think they're the best value on ukuleles out there. I'd compare it very closely with the solid top $180 Oscars. I use one for a beater and keep my '64 martin baritone at home. Just my .02.. -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Thanks guitarpix .... set my mind at rest a bit . I thought I would have to spend more than I thought . 
By the way .. I dont know who does their translating - but I found this quite funny . This is a complete copy and paste and unedited by me .

" This Amigo brandmark soprano Ukulele is idealistic in quest of those sounding to seek come out a young instrumentate! The Ukulele is a latticed stringed instrumentate that, in its twist, is a littler variant of the 4 stringed Guitar. The Ukulele is commonly associated by with the help of euphony from Hawaii, if it be not that has gained more than favor in newly come periods on the U.S. continent. This Amigo Ukulele is in the soprano registry and features a strong dress finically top out. It plays attractively and makes a outstanding faculty in opposition to anyone sounding to assay a portion young! "

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

Kala makes pretty good instruments for less than $100 US.  At that price, they're mahogany veneers, but they are well built and sound nice.

My friend has one.. I think it's a Kala... And she got it for about £20 buy-it-now off ebay.
It's very cute. Pink with a dolphin-shaped bridge.

-Kerry-

All I know is I feel better when I sing.
Burdens are lifted from me.
That's my voice rising.