Topic: Noise Suppressors/Noise Gates

Does anyone own a noise suppressor (like the Boss NS-2) or any other type of noise gate?  I just bought a Marshall MG30DFX and I noticed when I'm not playing, I get light feedback or hum.

How effective are they in reducing feedback noise?  With my Line6 amp I don't get any feedback or hum.

Thoughts?

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Re: Noise Suppressors/Noise Gates

I have a DOD multi effects processor that has a noise gate. You will probably have more controll with a stand-alone pedal. My effects processor has 3 levels to choose from and thats what it does. It keeps reverb and hum from happening at those moments when not playing. You could avoid using one by just palm muting or such. You just have to make sure you set it low enough that it doesn't kick in when you don't want it to. Like if you hit that long ringing power chord and just let it ring and ring and ring, at some point the signal will decay to the level you have set and it will clip your sound.

Re: Noise Suppressors/Noise Gates

Thanks Craig ... I wasn't sure in how effective they were ... I didn't know they came in effects processors either ... thanks for the heads up

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75