Topic: Newbie trying to remember a name

Hi everyone, this is gonna be a rascal to figure out!  I am trying to remember a C/W singer/story teller that was famous in the 80's and appeared on the Nashville Now Show back then.  He was an older dude with a whiskey voice and a craggy face.  When referring to his Mama, he always called her Mama (last name I forget!), at least to Ralph Emery.  I can remember none of his songs (great, huh?) and only what I described above.  Seems like he had a kind of unusual first name.  Played an acoustic guitar.

I hope someone can come up with a name or perhaps furnish a list of storytellers of this era.  This is one great impression I am giving all of you, because I am 62 years old and should know these people's names, because I am a traditional type CW fan.

CW Boomer said it!
Working to become a Brain Surgeon or a Rocket Scientist, I forget which...

Re: Newbie trying to remember a name

Welcome to Chordie Boomer, I remember the show you mentioned and these are just guesses on my part.

Lefty Frizzel

Tom T Hall

Lyle Lovett

Jimmie Dickens

Jerry Reed

Good luck in your search...   Badeye  cool

one caper after another

Hi Boomer , Welcome to Chordie !!
When you said " whiskey voice and craggy face " , right away I thought of one of my heros , Merle Haggard .
Also the " mama " thing .. I think he was still recording in the early eighties .. But then there is also , Waylon Jennings , Willie Nelson , boy the list goes on and on !! They all fit the bill ...
I will probably think of some more ... Let us know when we get it ... L O L .....
                Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Yeah Jerry that's what i was thinking of as well. Merle Haggard's "Moma Cried" came to mind. As did David Allan Coe, the infamous, and controversal outlaw.

Give everything but up.

Lefty Frizell and Merle Haggard were my first guesses

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Wow!  An unfortunate wow, I'm sorry to say, but the above mentioned were not him.  As I said, he was older, a little paunchy, talked a good song, had the craggy face, and the deep drawly, whiskey voice, but not like Lefty or Merle.  He did not seem to be that well known, obviously, because I cannot remember him.  David Allen Coe seems to be from the same era, but this singer never served time, nor sang about Mama.

Dang!  All I need is for someone to remember the scene where he was talking to Ralph and Ralph asked him about how Mama (last name) was doing, and he said, "Mama (last name) is doing alright"  Same last name, or course, and if such was the case, his mama would have been aproaching 100!  I did find some lists of singers on the Nashville Now show, but he wasn't on them, as if he was not mainstream. 

Badeye, GSW and SouthPaw, keep coming, guys!

Boom

CW Boomer said it!

boxcar willie? hoyt axton,berle ives ken curtis (festus on gunsmoke) smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

HOYT AXTON!!!!!!  TANK you, Russell!!!  (Remember he referred to his mom as "Mama Axton")  I knew you hard core CW people would come up with something!!!

CW Boomer said it!

I remember Hoyt Axton because in Los Angles I used to sing with a group and we were on the same bill that nignt, this was long before he grew a beard or recorded "Greenback Dollar" his hit song and he went on to act in a few wierd flicks with gremlin goonies or something like that I was with the "Chambers Brothers" at the time smile

CW Boomer wrote:

HOYT AXTON!!!!!!  TANK you, Russell!!!  (Remember he referred to his mom as "Mama Axton")  I knew you hard core CW people would come up with something!!!

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Nice to hear you found that singer/storyteller. Thats Chordie in action. Long live Chordie.

Badeye... cool

one caper after another

Are you sure it wasn't Billy Ray Cyrus' "I'm tryin' to look like Keith Urban" wig?

Give everything but up.