Topic: Springhill Mining Disaster

The 23rd of this month was the 50th anniversary of this tragic event and I have recorded and put Peggy Seeger/Ewan McColl's "Ballad of Springhill" on YouTube with a slide show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpbalZ5DUbE

The interesting thing about this is that Badeye's father was a Dreagerman at that time and he, and his team were the first to get to the trapped men. His team must have been exceptionally courageous as out of all the brave men that sought to rescue their collegues, just five were awarded a Gold Ring of Bravery from England's Prince Phillip, and Badeyes' father was one of them. The first and last photo show Badeye's father on the far left.

Brad, your father was a very brave man, you must be immensely proud of him, and his award, which I know you now have, is probably your most treasured posession.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Re: Springhill Mining Disaster

Thank you again Roger.

Brad.

one caper after another

Very well done Roger the photos are graphic reminders of this tragedy and coupled with the music and lyrics its a very moving presentation.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Great job Roger. A haunting song and appropriate slideshow. I've been working in a coal mine area of west virginia (though not in the mines!). I see many miners around after quitting time (usually at the beer store), faces black with coal dust. Amazing the job these guys do - deep underground - something I wouldn't or couldn't do that's for sure! Great vid!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

topdown wrote:

Great job Roger. A haunting song and appropriate slideshow. I've been working in a coal mine area of west virginia (though not in the mines!). I see many miners around after quitting time (usually at the beer store), faces black with coal dust. Amazing the job these guys do - deep underground - something I wouldn't or couldn't do that's for sure! Great vid!

Hi there Topdown, a tough job for sure, my dad worked the coal mines of Cape Breton for 42
years ans somehow loved it. I went in the mine at age 20 but only lasted 5 months. The thought of going five miles out under the ocean was haunting for sure. When coal was king on Cape Breton it employed over 15,000 men and times were good. Now there is no coal production and times are tough on people who used coal as their livelyhood. Now it's call centers with sub par paying jobs. The economy is grim here but people are proud of their past.
Of course coal is a big polluter to the enviroment and will soon be phased out.I tell you coal kept us warm and fed good as most in our town. I take my hat off to the coal miner.

Take Care..,. Badeye cool

one caper after another

Thank you Russ and Jeff,

The song, which has been a favourite if mine since Peter Paul and Mary sang it in the 60's, has been put on YouTube more as a tribute to the miners and especially the rescue workers, like Brad's father. Even though they know that the mine is unstable they will still take the risk to go back down to rescue their collegues. Brave men indeed.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"