Topic: Please rate! My newest project

It's an all-instrumental acoustic version of Sweet Child O'Mine.  For the main riff that repeats over and over and over and over, I had to screw around with some of the tools to get it to repeat itself without any pauses or anything.  Also, you may notice that the main riff isn't played with regular notes, but rather harmonics, which I think sound really cool.  Also, one other note, if during the melody it doesn't sound like the two parts are in sync together, they're not, I intended it that way on purpose.  Please offer any advice/comments.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Re: Please rate! My newest project

Stephen you mentioned that some of the notes were not in "sync" were you refering to the tracks not alligned or the bad notes that were outside of the notes in the chord? if this was intentional why? its like someone scrapping there fingernails on a blackboard,up to that point it was a good recording but bad notes are still bad notes intended or not. there are some who will enjoy this concept im not one of them.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

No, they are just notes up an octave and they aren't completely in time with the other melody notes, they're almost like an echo, and I think it sounds ok.

Switchfoot

Hey 06sc500
I'm all for experimentation with melody etc with guitar done enough myself for good and bad.  smile
Had a listen to your project and first off I found the recording on the quiet side and somewhat thin on sound lacking perhaps some bass.
Looping is a good idea (Get it right once and your off)  but unsyncing notes is not to my taste.
Guitar instrumentals are difficult to pull off without the inclusion of other backing instruments unless you are a great player like Tommy Emmanuel etc....
It's all a learning experience....
Hope you find this constructive.
Ark

arkady wrote:

Hey 06sc500
I'm all for experimentation with melody etc with guitar done enough myself for good and bad.  smile
Had a listen to your project and first off I found the recording on the quiet side and somewhat thin on sound lacking perhaps some bass.
Looping is a good idea (Get it right once and your off)  but unsyncing notes is not to my taste.
Guitar instrumentals are difficult to pull off without the inclusion of other backing instruments unless you are a great player like Tommy Emmanuel etc....
It's all a learning experience....
Hope you find this constructive.
Ark

Huhh.  I thought that drop-D would help, and I added quite a few of those low-octave D's in there, oh well.  Thanks anyway.  I couldn't figure out how to loop (IDK, I'm a little slow sometimes), but I used the "repeat" effect once i got it.

Switchfoot

Hi 06sc500, as for your song, you can play in tune, out of tune, up octave, down octave, doesn't matter to me, if it sounds good to you then you've played it correctly. As far as the recording, which is what this forum is about, your doing in my opinion an excellent job. I listened to your song last night and I had the same opinion as Arkady, VOLUME, I think that's the only thing you need to add to this recording. TIP: There are probably several ways to add volume, but I've found I can do this with the "compression effect" on my mixing program(reaper). I usually always add compression anyway to the master track and there is a "gain" control on this effect which you can turn up or down. Someone with more experience than me will probably know a better way to get more volume, that's just the way I do it and it seems to work. If you're using Audacity Russell can probably give you some tips on how to get more volume and a fuller(is that a word?:)) sound using that program. Russell always got a trick up his sleeve.  lol

"I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did." Yogi Berra
"It's like deja vu all over again." Yogi Berra
and my personal favorite Yogi Berra quote: "Ninety percent of this game is half mental."