Topic: Playing for a talent show

I'm signed up to play at the school talent show in December.  I'm going to be playing Eric Johnson's Song for George, one of the coolest acoustic pieces I know.  It's a little difficult, but I've learned it pretty well.  I've played a few times in front of my church, but never in front of a huge group of people.  I'm not really too nervous about it, as I've played in front of people before, but what's the best way to prepare myself for it so that I sound my best? I've been practicing every day, and I have the song memorized almost perfectly.  Just looking for some advice from "seasoned" players.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Re: Playing for a talent show

I never had any particular way of preparing to play "live". All you can do is get your soundcheck down, (remember, big auditorium=louder amp settings=greater possibility for feedback) and go out and do the best you can. If the thought of a lot of people freaks you out, concentrate on just the first few rows and play to them.This may sound difficult but in a darkened room it's easier than it sounds. It sound like you're familiar with the song so you should do alright as long as you don' freeze up or freak yourself out.Any way, lots of luck and go get 'em

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

Good luck.  You'll do fine, just relax and remember it's all about the music you love.  People will appreciate your effort!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

06sc500 wrote:

I'm signed up to play at the school talent show in December.  I'm going to be playing Eric Johnson's Song for George, one of the coolest acoustic pieces I know.  It's a little difficult, but I've learned it pretty well.  I've played a few times in front of my church, but never in front of a huge group of people.  I'm not really too nervous about it, as I've played in front of people before, but what's the best way to prepare myself for it so that I sound my best? I've been practicing every day, and I have the song memorized almost perfectly.  Just looking for some advice from "seasoned" players.

Just do what you do, the best you can. Share with the people watching you your love and happiness that music gives to you. Your inner emotions will become infectious to those watching and listening to you. Oh yeah, and make sure some of your friends and/or family members are there to get the applause started upon completion of your performance!!!........Humans, almost everywhere display a 'herd' mentality where most respond impulsively on the actions of a few. ( preachers preachin', smokers smoking, yawners yawning, scratchers scratching, clappers clapping, etc., etc. etc..)
    Best of luck to you06sc500, seriously now; Just do your best and to hail with the rest.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Playing in a larger venue can sound weird to your ear. A sound check will help but may not be possible. A sound that is different to your ear may not be a bad thing. Don't let it bug you as long as feedback is not a problem.
My mom used to sit at the back of an auditorium. She told me to focus and aim my voice at her so I could be sure I was projecting my sound. This helped.
I find that if I can take my attention off myself and direct my music and my message to entertain a wonderful crowd, they get it. If you know your material well enough and wish to project and communicate it so the audience will appreciate it, you will.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

In my long history of performance the thing that helps me the best is.....practice.  Not just until its good but until you can do it frontwards, backwards sideways, in your sleep, behind your head.  Then you will have no problem playing in front of anyone. further more stay focused on what your doing not the audience, narrow your world down to you and the stage, picture that your world cuts off at the stage theres nothing beyond it only stars.

So Red Delicious

I've played way too many shows to remember and I get a little nervous before each one. It's good that you are nervous, it means you still care about your performance and respect your audience. The thing is to make sure that it doesn't overwhelm you.
Before performance day, I practice everyday. I make sure that a mistake will be just that... a mistake. I have messed up on stage because we blew through the sound check, broke a string, drank to much ect... but never because I didn't know the material well enough.
On game day, I play fun stuff, but never anything I will perform that night. I hang out with the guys and watch tv. Have lunch with my mom. Listen to music other than the kind I will play. When I get to the show, I hang out with the other acts there and by the time I hit the stage, I'm calm, ready to play, and ready to meet all the girls that saw me on stage afterwards. Oh and somtimes I sing and play with my eyes closed. People think I'm all deep but really I'm just hiding behind my eyelids.

"Nobody paints by ear so why would I play guitar by sight?" hmm

Practice to allow yourself confidence enough to enjoy yourself.  If you are comfortable and smiling when you play, the fun you're having will come through the instrument and your audience will pick up on it. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I know it's difficult but try not to look nervous. I have just participated in the Netional Competition of Norway, For Young Musicians, and what made that i didn't winn, was the fact that i looked too nervous. If you can your song, you don't have any reasons to be nervous, and it will just go fine. You have to know that people sitting there and watching you play can't do it better than you, and how ever it goes, you should be setisifid if you did you're best. 
Lots of luck!!!
smile

"Never shall I forget the days I spent with you. Continue to be my friend, as you will always find me yours."
- Ludwig van Beethoven