1 (edited by lone-woodwose 2008-11-15 23:05:07)

Topic: What cable should I buy?

What cable should I use to hook my acoustic up to my computer? I have not looked at the local Radioshack Bestbuys or Circut city (we have all three in the same shopping plaza...for some reason).

Any that you recommend? What do you use? USB or microphone jack?

It may also be used for an electric every so often if that matters.
I would like something pretty long, as I will be recording mostly in the parlor, with no easy way to hold a laptop and guitar.

Thanks,
Alden

Mandolin>guitar

Re: What cable should I buy?

Alden if your acoustic is electric you can use an adapter it can be purchased at Radio shack or most electronic stores it is a 1/4 " female to a 1/8 " mono plug it cost less then $5.00 the guitar chord plugs into the female end and the small mono jack plugs into the back of your computers sound card (mic input) this holds true for the electric also just a plain old guitar chord is all you need you plug the guitar chord into the female adapter and that adapter plugs into your computer but you will need the audacity program it can be downloaded from sourceforge.net it is a free program and a free download,one more thing I would suggest downloading the tutorials on audacity from my mediafire link at the bottom of this post the folder is named "audacity" and download as many as you wish, there all free. if you have space on your PC i would download all of them they are short 5 or 6 min videos but they should get you on your way to recording your tracks and if you need any help give a holler here in the recording forum, and one other thing you can record your acoustic with a microphone if you have one the same way and once you have the Audacity program set up on your pc you will need to set some adjustments so you can hear what your recording and listen to what you recorded as you lay another track when you get this far just look at the tutorials they explain it and if you need further explaining this is the place smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

looking at them I have seen one that goes from the guitar to the USB is that worth it?
Will I need to get this adapter you speak of to use a mic?

I am playing with audacity right now...recording on a digital camera. its fun ad sounds terrible.

Mandolin>guitar

I would stick with the one I pointed out because it can be adapted for both the mic and guitars,I have not seen a adapter that has a usb and I would imagine it requires a program like all usb sources and the other is more flexable and cost less but any way you can get the sound into your Audacity program is ok I dont know what the other usb costs but off hand I would guess more then the adapter I recomended so the choice is yours,let me know when you have it up and running or need any assistance smile

lone-woodwose wrote:

looking at them I have seen one that goes from the guitar to the USB is that worth it?
Will I need to get this adapter you speak of to use a mic?

I am playing with audacity right now...recording on a digital camera. its fun ad sounds terrible.

Alden it occured to me if your amp has a line out you could plug a mic into your amp and use the cord from your line out and attatch the adapter to it and plug into your pc mic input,this way you could mic your acustic or add vocals and you could plug in your electric to your amp useing a stomp box or any effects and the line out signal would feed directly to the audacity program and I still recomend looking at the tutorials theres a lot of information provided that may help (sure couldn't hurt) lol

lone-woodwose wrote:

It may also be used for an electric every so often if that matters.

The electric is a friends, so I don't have an amp myself. I have an acoustic-electric, so the mic would be used for mandolin.

I am running into a problem now, according to Bestbuys website the store near me carries almost nothing; and I know the RadioShack near me has nothing at all. I will can run down-town between classes tomorrow to check.

and another thing. The pickup for my guitar has not been used in years, is there anything other than replace the batteries that needs to be done you think?

Mandolin>guitar

Alden do you have a stereo receiver because if you do you can plug the mic and guitar into the mic input and use a Y chord from your 2 left and right "outs" right to your PC this is a common chord to find its used for mp3 players and sells for about 3 or 4 dollars and walmart or any store carries these, regarding your guitar pickups if you have some tuner spray around like QD or any comparable brand spray the pots and the terminals where the batteries connect and wipe them down and just hang in we will get you going some way smile

lone-woodwose wrote:

The electric is a friends, so I don't have an amp myself. I have an acoustic-electric, so the mic would be used for mandolin.

I am running into a problem now, according to Bestbuys website the store near me carries almost nothing; and I know the RadioShack near me has nothing at all. I will can run down-town between classes tomorrow to check.

and another thing. The pickup for my guitar has not been used in years, is there anything other than replace the batteries that needs to be done you think?

8 (edited by KAP54 2008-11-17 10:40:08)

Hi lone-woodwoes.
I'm no pro at this but I picked up a handy little unit called the Lightsnake by Sony.It comes with USB,10' x 1/4" patch cord,Software compatible to Sony Acid, Sound Forge, Macintosh, Garage Band and more.
The patch cord also has a built in splitter that I find very handy.
I picked it up for my keyboard so I don't have to keep switching back and forth for guitar.
$48 Canadian.
At Russ's suggestion I also use 1/4" to 1/8" adapter for guitar.It's easy to set up and real inexpensive.

Both good buys and good time savers.
Hope this helps.

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

I stopped at some stores before class today. BestBuy had nothing and the help did not help much. Circut City had nothing either but the help was nice. I did end up finding the adapter Russell recomended, found it at RadioShack.

Thanks for the help guys, and I will keep you updated.

Mandolin>guitar