Topic: Plymouth - Devon

Am looking for bluegrass / country / skiffle accoustic players and a singer . An example of the kind of sound we would be after is on my website - check cripple creek.
For instance ... a bass guitar might not be needed as an old washtub with a string and pole would be just as good  ...plus washboard etc... trying to keep it simple but effective and good time stuff.

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

Re: Plymouth - Devon

Hi (is it Dave ?),

I have been searching all over the World Wide Wellington for people in the area of Plymuff who play stuff and that.  I happened upon your posting the other week, but being a numpty, had difficulty in registering in order to post.  I have varied interests in the musical field; playing guitars (6 and 12 string in regular and open tunings, slide etc) as well as a passably competent amateur 5 string banjo, and more recently the fabulous uke.  From the 70's I have always been interested in folk, bluegrass, and for the last year acoustic blues. (Robert Johnson, Lonnie Johnson, Dave Van Ronk, and numerous others - not forgetting Donavan!).  After hearing your stuff I have a fairly good idea of what you like doing as this is the stuff I regularly do, on my own.  Back in the year (1985 et seq) I formed a one off skiffle band for a function in Plymouth having built a genuine tea chest bass, got a washboard from a scrap place in South Molton, and 5 of us had a ball with very little rehearsal - would like to do it again some day.
I live alone surrounded by instruments crying out for use, and would dearly love to have the opportunity to share some knowledge, pick a couple of tunes, and see where it leads.

If you fancy a visit or vice versa, give me a bell - 01752 299851- I live in West Park.

Regards

Geof

I'll join iv'e been playing acoustic for 3 years.

4 (edited by evsynator 2009-01-13 18:22:15)

thanks to you both ... will contact you ....thanks - sounds good , and west park is just up the road ... ( well - 15 mins away )

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

Hi Dave,

I started playing accustic guitar whilst in the Navy, Shep Wooley, Fred Wedlock, Simon & garfunkle, John Denver that type of music, enjoyed the DIY sounds of skiffle, folk and country music.  Not much in the way of venues in Plymouth these days, would like to get together for a jam session, I live in Efford you can contact me at:  bob.toney@sky.com

aright jollybob,

good to hear from someone on the site; i've been getting together with Dave for a few weeks now and we've had a great time.  Jamming etc. and revivin'.  We are all very local! I'm West Park, Dave is Efford.,  It'll be great to get together and do some stuff; I believe Wooley is in town this week, (Fleet Club) I know him of old.  I get the impression that you are into (or out of) the old tradition.  Welcome!! I'm sure we have some common goround.  geofc@blueyonder.co.uk

jollybob wrote:

Hi Dave,

I started playing accustic guitar whilst in the Navy, Shep Wooley, Fred Wedlock, Simon & garfunkle, John Denver that type of music, enjoyed the DIY sounds of skiffle, folk and country music.  Not much in the way of venues in Plymouth these days, would like to get together for a jam session, I live in Efford you can contact me at:  bob.toney@sky.com

emailed you jollybob ... seems we are neighbours ... small world !