Topic: playing the fills

I just started playing the guitar again after many years. Many years. I am trying to figure out how to play the fills. This is beyond me as my experience is just with basic chords and simple songs (seventh grade, 1977, class and very little playing since) . So...the question is: How do I read the fills so I know what fret and what strings to play?

Re: playing the fills

You can just play be ear. Which is hard to do if your ear isn't "trained". But the key, is knowing scales and being able to identify what key a song is in. That sounds hard, but isn't really....at first. Most people here would recommend that you learn the minor pentatonic scale. Its probably the most popular in rock and blues and can be built upon for country and jazz. Search for a lesson on it on youtube. Or try this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxD8ZulskFU  There are five positions but only worry about the first for now. More than likely if your playing some simple three chord progression blues type stuff, all those fills will be using the notes in that scale.

Your answer in 2 parts:

1. Minor Pentatonic scale
2. Major extended Pentatonic scale

You can pretty much play a fill for ANY song with just those two scales.
Exception being gypsy or foreign type songs.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Detman101 plays sweet fills and lead licks on the fly so if he says those two will do you, then those two will do you. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude