Topic: A Little Help Would Be Very Much Appreciated! :)

Hello all. I'm new here, but I've got a huge favor to ask somebody (anybody) who is capable of figuring out tabs/chords to a song just by listening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwojyB5KyYw

This is the best video of the song, and it is not available for download or anything. Brandi played it at a show I was at and said it was a new song they're working on. I loved it. I'm dying to learn it, but I'm still new to playing guitar and certainly don't have a knack for figuring such things out.

I can read tabs and chords, I just need someone to help me figure it out for this song smile

Please and thank you! I hope someone can help!

Re: A Little Help Would Be Very Much Appreciated! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lqJPWUD3lg

Here is another video showing very brief shots of the guitar player, its not enough for me to help you but it does show you where he is capo'd.

Ok, someone told me this..

Her guitar player is using a capo on the 4th fret and an open G tuning. The key is B so *if* you choose to use a capo on the 4th fret with a standard tuning, you'd be using G-C-Cm chord shapes. I would actually play it without a capo...but let's assume you are going to use one. While using a finger picking pattern to hold the rhythm, you would play a melody on the first couple of strings like this. The numbers are relative to the capo while you're fingerpicking a G shaped chord:

E--3-0------------
B-------3-0-0-1-3
G
D
A
E-3----3----3----3

It's similar when you change to the C, except you're just using the second string 1st fret and open while finger-picking a C chord.

Sorry, I don't have the patience to try to tab out the *exact* finger-pick pattern..it's standard and easier to do than explain. The Cm comes in when she repeats "Won't you [C] save some of your [Cm] self for [G] me?"

Can anyone clarify this a bit for me? I get the part that he tabbed, but I won't be playing with a capo, and he confused me a little bit when talking about the chords.

I can read chords, but I'm still pretty much a musical illiterate so just reading this description kind of boggles my mind a little. Sorry for being so ignorant sad But hey, I'm learning!

Without a capo. I am hearing B (tonic) E, E minor and I wonder if there is an F# in there somewhere?
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

It's a very nice song but would probably be discouraging to try as your first if you're a new player. It might be aleternate tuned and will certainly require some finger picking to make it sound similar.
If you're new i would recommend shelving that one for a bit smile

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Hi Allis welcome to Chordie. This is not an extreemly difficult tune, but if you are just learning to play it'll be a load of flustration. IMHO you'd be better served by going to the public songbooks here on Chordie and pick some of the easier tunes, you'll get more satisfaction and advance your playing faster.
PEACE

Hm, yes, the fingerpicking would be a problem for me, haha. I can play "The Story" by Brandi Carlile, it's a fairly easy song. I'm moving onto "Closer To You" next. I'm stubborn and I try to learn the songs I love, no matter how hard they are wink