Topic: Elixir nanoweb .024 G Strings

I resently purchased a Garisson G20 accoustic guitar which came with Elixir nanoweb strings.   The sting tone is great but I keep busting .024 G strings about every 3-4 days.  This is getting expensive, can anyone recoomend other strings similar in quality with  longer play time?  I should note that the other strings last 3-5 weeks.  Is Elixir gaving QA/QC problems?

Re: Elixir nanoweb .024 G Strings

I recenly began using Elixirs on my Takamine E series acoustic and have been very happy with the sound and quality. Most of the reviews I read seemed to echo the same sentiment. Were you having better luck on this same guitar with different strings?

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Maybe you are banging too hard and maybe you might be better of with a heavier gauge string

what a long strange trip it's been

Tried the elixir nanowebs, and the "nanoweb" began to peel/fray. I don't think it's caused by strumming to hard, because it also frayed along the fretboard. Regular Elixirs are great, if you can still find them anywhere. I just switched to regular old steel strings (not sure of the maker) and had no problems.

If you spend your life judging people, how will you ever have time to love them ♥

I like the tone out of the Elixer's, but I hate the way they feel... even the nano's feel slick to me.  And they cost so much--I know they last longer, but...I don't know...I like changing my strings anyway, it's like special time with my guitar--polish her up some...anyway I like DR's med-lights. Good strings, $6-7 bucks.

6 (edited by dobrocop 2009-09-07 16:38:44)

hi pookaiam,.i have been having the same elixir 3rd string breakage for years[PHOSPHER/BRONZE NANOWEB],.  and have emailed elixir with complaints as all of my friends have done ,.we always received a few free sets and a few dozen complimentry single G3rd strings [up to a dozen]of 24 and 26 gauge,.so it pays to complain ,.also i have just told them my story again in the hope that they look at the G string as i feel that its much too thin and has 7pounds extra pressure above the rest of the elixir set,.they say that the reason for this is to give more treble on the g string m,but as i have told them!, it would be better to have a stronger thicker core and a bit less treble than a broken g string that has to be replaced with a non coated standard 3rd that lasts much longer, and the uncoated then gets duller more quickly and still dosent break but again has to be replaced,. so im advising every body with 3rd string elixir breakage to get on to them at,.info@wlgore.com,.not sure if this is correct but just google,.and complain like a woman scorned ,.and if enough do this then i think they will listen,.snd even if they dont at least you will get some free strings,.please lets do it,.i really love ELIXIR strings but they are not perfect yet because of a bad design 3rd ,..im now going to all the other FORUMS and advising the same,.cheers,dobrocop

I've heard these stories on several forums but have to say that I've used elixer Nano PB's for the last 2 years on several guitars (many packs of elixers) and have never broken a string... Not even the G... And yea I bend the heck out of them sometimes and hit them with a pretty hard attack during lead runs.

Where are yours breaking at?

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Check for sharp edges at the bridge and the nut.  Those will always snap a string. File them down if you find them.  I've voiced my opinion of these fad strings many times here, so suffice it to say that maybe you should consider a switch to something more time proven, reliable and a heck of a lot cheaper.

Now available in 5G !

Had a lot of problerm with breaking the "G" string on my Ibabez hollowbody guitar. Only strings I used were D'raddario PB's ultra lites. This went on for quite awhile and stopped when I had a complete "set-up" done on the guitar. I told the guitar mechanic all the problems I was having and what he found was a sharp burr on the bridge. A little filin', a little adjustment here and a little adjustment there, some fret polishing and $125.00  was all it took to solve the problem.

Nela

thanks people ,.but my guitars are always kept in top condition as my best friend is a fine guitar builder and i would help him out when ever he has a heavy workload,.so i can go in anytime and get a great checkup,.the breackage only happens with the light ,medium,and heavy elixir nanoweb 3rds,.and never with even the cheapest bronze or whatever 3rds or with any other uncoated wound strings,.so its not guitar set up or playing style,.[bluegrass,flat picking,trad irish [no thrashing]and soft folky cross picking with heavy gibson cellius plecktrums ,.i use the same drop d tuning on both guitars,.as i have said ! i kill uncoated strings in half a gig,.so i need to use elixir,.D,darrio EXP are no good for me ,.and the special coated ERNIE BALL acoustics turned black on the second gig,.so im a slave to elixir,.the gods can only help me,.cheers,.

Hmm..from your description I can only suggest that you get rid of the heavy picks and switch to something lighter like a Dunlop Tortex .060 (The orange ones).  Also, stop eating whatever it is that is causing you to sweat acid. You're wasting your money with these plastic coated dampened strings.

Now available in 5G !

I had same experience with G string.  I also experimented as many have but always disappointed in all the other strings.  Elixer Nano Custom Lights for me.  I can't remember the last time I broke one.  So what's changed?  I pulled the saddle out and used 600 grit sandpaper to soften the edge that supports the string.  I also very carefully softened the nut in case it had a sharp edge.  I lubed the nut with graphite.  And lastly I handle the G string very carefully when stringing it.  I really think kinks, bends, and sharp edges account for most of the breaks (other than the high stress and thinness).

Folks, I'm far from being an expert but a friend of mine who is a long time Guitar Bluegrass player told me this about the G string. Always cut your string long enough to take a couple extra wraps around the tuning post on the G, this will allow the last wrap of the string below the string hole of the tuning post. He explained that if the string crosses the hole it will break quickly.  I use Elixir NanoWebs as does he, I've never broken a g string. Don't cost nothing to try.

Sounds like Elixers are not the magic string that music stores would like you to believe. I use uncoated Martins, about $6 a pack and never have any trouble with string breakage. Sure they tarnish and go dead quicker but the cost a bunch less and I get new strings more often, and new string day is a great day in my opinion.

15 (edited by mercer 2010-10-01 15:41:25)

I agree with 25 Frankster, I bought Elixir anti rust strings and guess what? the B & E strings had rust on them, they where replaced by the seller with a complete new pack which still had rust on them. Gone back to D'Addario custom lights. as 25Frankster said , a good time to check over the guitar is when you are  changing strings.
Cheers.
John.
P.S I found them too zingy for me!

I have been using Elixir strings, both electric and acoustic, since they appeared on the market, and have nothing but praise for them. I live in Australia (Southern Hemisphere - not Austria in Europe) and the temperatures are extreme. I have only experienced one problem, and that was when I overtuned a string beyond its normal pitch. Rob Fleet