Topic: Problem with my neck pick up

Hello,

I have a problem with the neck pickup on my Epi SG and I’m after advice before I try and  botch it.  I rarely use it as the bridge pickup is so much better for what I play but I started experimenting with both pickups a few weeks ago looking for contrasting sounds and volumes. 

The problem is that if I switch from the bridge p/u to the neck directly it sounds like there’s a loose connection and the sound drifts in and out intermittently?  If I then switch to the middle position and play both p/u and then back to the neck it’s fine (well usually)?.  Well I’m saying its fine but the sound still seems too muffled and way too bassey (more than a normal neck p/u on any other guitar I’ve played) which makes me think perhaps it’s the p/u and not a connection?

Any ideas or things to look for before I strip it?   

Another thing I noticed is that the distance of the neck p/u is about 5mm further away from the strings than the neck p/u but I’m not sure what the spacings should be, anyone know?

Cheers

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Re: Problem with my neck pick up

Hey Crevs,
   I had the same problem on my Epi dot but with the bridge p/u. I rarely use it by itself and when I switched to it I got various troubles similar to what you described. Turned out to be the notoriously cheap 3 way switch the Epiclone company uses or the fact that it may not have seen the "Lead" position for a few months.At any rate I used some electrical contact cleaner and got the switch in better working order. The clearance on your SG seem a bit much. I would got to an SG specific site and get the proper specs.

Good luck with it.

Re: Problem with my neck pick up

Cheers Gundecker!

Looks like you were right, the switch does look shoddy, all sorted now tho!

I also adjusted the p/u height and it sound great!

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000