Topic: caromshot - Tom Dooley Strumming

Hi there Caromshot!  I saw you looking for that Tom Dooley Strumming pattern that seems to have gone missing.  I didn't want to clog up the strumming thread with a response so started this one here.

Wayne originally did that vid for me a while back.  I was having an issue getting it sounding "just like my dad" plays it.  Anywho... on the vid Wayne was doing a simple bass strum with the song.  When I play it, I will sometimes try that, or just do a simple Down-up-down strumming pattern, and I play it with a simple D and A7.  I like to allow the words and vocal to ring through over the playing.  It's an oldie that's been played a million times by a million different people and I think everyone probably has their own little ways.  Maybe some others will jump in here with how they play it to help you out with some strumming ideas!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: caromshot - Tom Dooley Strumming

Thank you. I also use D and A7, although sometimes my fingers forget and play an A. I also remember this one from "my dad". I was recently in Maine and was able to play guitar with him. It was AWESOME! One thing I like about playing with another player, is I can set my next chord up earlier and continue playing. I don't want to continue having other players "carry" me, but I was also doing alot of things at once that I normally don't do. I was playing chords, strumming (which I had done 0 work on as I am still on Part 1 in justinguitar training), singing and trying to harmonize with my parents both of which were singing.

We recorded ourselves on my laptop and I must say, I was singing flat as a board. I hope I don't sing like that normally, as it was enough to make me just play and not sing. Woo boy! It was fun and I also had a marathon session for me as we played for about 3-3.5 hours.

I guess I must have taken the vid down. So I did another hope it helps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwYMsZwQCgQ

Later, Wayne P

It sure is fun to play with others that you love an admire!  I've been able to play with my dad a few times recently also.  It's a great feeling! 

Thanks Wayne for redoing this!  smile

5 (edited by caromshot 2010-10-12 17:09:28)

My parents just took a trip in Maine and my mother told me that one of the things they listened to on the way was the recordings of usplaying the guitar and singing (I quickly apologized! wink ) After playing it after the fact, my mom todl me it appears that my father was trying to harmonize and I kept trying to match him instead of just singing my part. I had a blast with it though. I am now trying to find some inexpensive ways to record that don't involve Sound Recorder and a $9 USB mike from Walmart.

caromshot, check out the recording section here on Chordie and you'll get lots of advice and ideas.  You can keep it as cheap as a handheld voice recorder... to... goodness, the sky is the limit on cost!  There's a free program that will allow you to record more than 60 second clips too... sound recorder kinda stinks when it comes to that!  Good luck!