Topic: Help Me Pull The Trigger!!!

So I've got $125 in Amazon gift cards burning a hole in my pocket and I feel like a need a new toy to help fight this in-between-job depression.

A buck-and-a-quarter doesn't go too far on Amazon (with shipping and all), but it can buy me a couple of extra cheapo ukes to have around for my grandchildren.  It's also about halfway to a better uke for myself and about 1/3 of the way to a low-end banjo uke, which is what I REALLY want.  Of course, I can live without ANY of these things.

In this economy, it's really tough to spend on "toys" when basic expenses are getting harder to meet.  Can anybody make me feel better about either:

1.  Blowing the whole $125 on a couple of beater ukes
2.  Packing the gift cards away until I have enough to afford something better?

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

Re: Help Me Pull The Trigger!!!

OK, papatom.  First, it is a nice gesture to buy a couple of ukes for the grandkids, but.........they will probably play around with them for a day or two and then they will end up in a closet.  That's just the way kids are.  So, saving a little more for something you want just seems like a better deal to me.  You will appreciate it more for a longer period of time and dreaming and thinking about it will make you find ways to come up with the extra money.  ANyway, I wish you luck.  Hope you get what you want.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Save for what you really want.  I never heard of a banjo uke, but I have heard of a banjotar, which I really want, so I guess it's something similar.  Anyway, be careful that the $125 doesn't have an expiration and wait too long then lose out on using it at all.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

It's a tough call.  My instinct is to rack up a few more credit card points and purchase some more Amazon cards toward the banjo uke, but that could take a while -- and I need a fix NOW!

To give you an idea of how mad I've gone, I've been almost ready to buy everything from a double-kick drum pedal (to reignite my drumming passion after 16 years) to a bicycle trainer (to keep me from getting mushy over the winter) to a hand truck (just to have one).  Amazon gift cards don't expire, but my problem has always been keeping these danged things around without rushing out and spending them.  I think I'm afraid I'll misplace them or something.

Anyway, I'm leaning toward saving for the banjo uke.  Perhaps, to satisfy my current crankiness, I'll just get a girlfriend.

(Kidding...my wife and I are happily married for 28 years!)

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

I knew you were kidding.  You can't get a girlfriend from Amazon for $125.  And even if you could, you could never keep her without a whole lot more Amazon cards.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

But if you COULD, maybe you could find one that already has a banjo uke.

Always remember  Papa -tom when you long for something badly enough, you can bring it about.

Be still and know !

Forget the girlfriend bit now..  You'll find yourself left without a shirt for your back :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ByW_-Cy4II

Old Doll

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

A hand truck is a little extrem!!!

Butch8844 wrote:

A hand truck is a little extrem!!!

Unless you plan on moving boxes or furniture and then a hand truck is just right.

Most everything from Amazon ships free if it's over $25. If I have too, I will add something just to make it over the $25 so no shipping.

I agree with the others, save it for a better purchase. If your worried about losing it you can keep it in a uke case for safe keeping.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok... I say... buy yourself a set of strings, or a new capo or something cheap to satisfy your urge to spend right now, then save up the rest of the gift cards for what you really want!  wink  The holidays are just around the corner so there's a good chance you might just get more gift cards given to you soon to get the goods... just remember to put them on your list!!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

>>>>Ok... I say... buy yourself a set of strings, or a new capo or something cheap to satisfy your urge to spend right now<<<<<

That's exactly what I was thinking...perhaps one of those clip-on tuners...or a t-shirt that reads "Don't make me get my ukulele!"

Here's the thing:  I don't get many gifts because I've instructed my family and friends to stop giving me stuff.  I think it's kind of silly when we're all grown, self-sufficient adults and there are so many little children in the family to spoil.  So the gift cards I have are mostly rewards from my business credit cards, which take a very long time to accumulate.  If this were a general credit card, I'd let my wife pick the reward, but we have a "deal" about business credit cards.  It's the only time I ever really treat myself to anything.  But to rack up enough points for anything decent takes a very long time, so $125 in Amazon cards is a rarity.  To spend $25 would make a major dent in my ability to purchase something substantial anytime soon!

Oh, what to do...what to do.  I feel like such a creep for being so self-centered about this!