1 (edited by Guitarpix 2010-10-27 22:25:20)

Topic: Hey guys/gals, Help me spend some money :)

The holiday season is getting close and I've been thinking of what to hit myself up for this year wink  So here's what I've decided I want and I'd like your input on available brands/options out there that I may not be aware of....

I want a smaller body acoustic, full depth (no thin models), electronics are optional (though I don't like barndoor electronics) but would prefer a cutaway for access up the neck, Thinking an 00 or OM body shape/size, 1 3/4 neck (or close to it) and I want some radius to the board, Needs a Cedar top and East Indian Rosewood back and sides. All solid woods would be nice but only the top must be so.... 14 frets to the body, I'm flexible on the scale of the guitar as long as it doesn't drop below 24.5 inches so I can still tune down easily.

As you can probably tell from my specs, I'm looking for a comfortable picker. Something responsive to a light touch with a good bottom end punch but keeping the highs fairly tight....

So you guys have any recommendations for me to consider??  Oh yea, I'd like to keep the price around a grand and have no problems buying used to get more for my money smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

2 (edited by Bass Viking 2010-10-27 20:09:33)

Re: Hey guys/gals, Help me spend some money :)

On the recommendation of a music store owner I checked out and bought Blueridge guitars made by Saga.  He is a former professional bluegrass picker who sold his Martin D-28 for a Blueridge.  I know, it is a China made guitar, but you cannot believe how responsive and easy to play these are.  Most of my friends are commtted Martin accoustic owners, but all of them rave about the sounds coming from my Blueridge.  I feel even better when one of them makes sweeter music playing my guitar.   They make several models which I believe could suit your needs and are well withing the price range you posted.  Do a search and read up about them.  I think you would be impressed.

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

Pix,
    Have a look at Maton BG808. There are several different models in this range from standard through to top end. Tommy Emmanuel plays the 808 so I would imagine that it might be OK for you too. LOL
Cheers
Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"

4 (edited by dfoskey 2010-10-27 22:43:20)

Martin 1 Series are great at the price youre looking for but i'm not sure how easy the Cedar top will be to find. The Takamine EF740SGN looks like it would fit your description minus the cutaway but priced nicely at around $700 new and you know the quality on a good Takamine as well as i do. Then there is the Boulder Creek ECRM4-N that looks just like something i could see you playing. It is deffinately worth checking out cause i've never seen another acoustic like it.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Bass viking, I'm familiar with Blueridge guitars and have played quite a few of them but ,as far as I know, they don't offer anything in a ceder top...

Bushy I like the BG808's looks and specs... I've played 2 Matons (neither was that model) and the one's I tried sounded superb plugged in, however they seemed weak (thin sounding) unplugged and my main concern would be the natural tone. They seemed to be built on the heavy side and targeted more toward the gigging musician. Have you tried the 808 personally? I'd be interested in your thoughts if you have smile

Thanks again guys!  Any more suggestions for me to look into?

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

Norman make a nice cedar top guitar that sound real nice.

badeye   cool

one caper after another

Don't be a wood snob - get a CA!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

dfoskey wrote:

Martin 1 Series are great at the price youre looking for but i'm not sure how easy the Cedar top will be to find. The Takamine EF740SGN looks like it would fit your description minus the cutaway but priced nicely at around $700 new and you know the quality on a good Takamine as well as i do. Then there is the Boulder Creek ECRM4-N that looks just like something i could see you playing. It is deffinately worth checking out cause i've never seen another acoustic like it.

Thanks Dforsky,  Martin is out.... Sorry to all their fans but I just don't care for 'em..... The Boulder creeks I've seen and am a little nervous about.... All solid wood guitars custom built by a luthier in texas for around $700!   hmmmm just seems too good, you know what I mean.

Not familiar with that tak model right off hand but will give it a look over as soon as I post this smile

Thanks again guys!!

badeye wrote:

badeye   cool

one caper after another

topdown wrote:

Don't be a wood snob - get a CA!

Aren't they out of business now, or are they??? It seems like I heard they were bought out after they announced their closure and the new owners may continue with the brand....   I'd consider one but I need to hook up with someone that's got one so I can give it a trial run (hint, hint) smile

badeye wrote:

badeye   cool

Hey badeye, I'm a huge fan of godin products and if they offered one I'd be all over it smile Unless they've changed though, they only offer a Dread, Folk, and Parlor.....    Norman's sister company Simon and Patrick started making om's this year but all are spruce topped sad I've got an email in to them asking about the possibility of a custom build using a cedar top but haven't heard back yet....

Peavey bought the remnants and rumor is they are in production and are going to re-launch at Winter NAMM (Jan '11).  But, unless you are looking for a Cargo, you'd be in the used market anyway. And a "pre-peavey" CA might actually be more valuable.

We do need to hook up again, maybe get Cam involved. It's been a long time. I've got plenty of time on my hands (out of work) - let's make it happen. I've got family in Raleigh - maybe we could arrange a meet there?

You know me man, I'll travel and meet pretty much anywhere as long as I can get about a weeks notice to arrange my schedule smile  I'd love to hook up with you guys sometime and jam a bit just let me know what works best for you guys!

Taylor guitars realized what a dud the baby Taylor was so they came up with the GS mini with proper bracing.
http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/gs-mini/

My buddy is buying one to fly with because it will go in any overhead bin.
Good luck in your quest, Pix.
toots

I'm not sure of the wood used in construction but the Taylor website will list it.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Guitarpix wrote:

You know me man, I'll travel and meet pretty much anywhere as long as I can get about a weeks notice to arrange my schedule smile  I'd love to hook up with you guys sometime and jam a bit just let me know what works best for you guys!

OK Pix - I'm calling your bluff. Lets make it happen!

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic. … 37#p101237

badeye wrote:

badeye   cool

You know, after going over the specs for the Norman folk models, they are fairly close to a OM size......   It's not EIR and don't have a cutaway but that ST40 Folk http://www.normanguitars.com/st40folk.html looks tempting and the price is right for an all solid cedar/hog guitar. Maybe Mahogany would be a smart move with it on "the list" now and becoming more scarce and expensive.... Most brands have already switched over to sapele which they call African mahogany even though the trees are not related at all.... Hmmmmm.... Thanks for making me take a second look at 'em badeye smile

Pix
     To answer your question, I have owned an 808 now for approx 6 years and although it is a basic model, I love it. There are available several different models with different types of wood used in the making, and of course the price of these intruments reflects this. I am a Maton fan so may be biased somewhat,  I have 3 Matons all up. I agree with you that some Matons may sound thin at times when played unplugged but they all come out with Elixers and this seems to make them sound bright. Other Matons made to be played unplugged such as the CW80 sound great, but this one is a full dread and may not suit your requirements.
If I can be of further help, let me know
Cheers
Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"

Well, since you don't like Martin's, once you buy that D28 you can send it to me.  That'll go through a big wad of your cash. 

Otherwise, I've got to say that I played Topdown's CA and it really is a sweet, sweet flat-top. 

There are any number of custom luthiers who would be thrilled to separate you from your money in exchange for a well-made instrument. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

There is only one answer here, "Breedlove" I don't mean to step on anyones toes but I have two and I wouldn't have spent my money on anything else!!!!!