Topic: Chordilina Jam

A few North Carolina Chordians have discussed getting together for some time now. Pix visited me a few years ago, when I was just re-learning guitar and he taught me a ton. Cam is another member that lives within driving distance and we have talked about getting together, but it hasn't happened yet. I don't get to play with other folks often, but when I have, it is always lots of fun. Zurf went out of his way to visit on his family vacation a few moths ago and  that was one of the best guitar pickin nights of my life.

So... What's say we try to make this happen again ? Pix says he's easy and is ready to travel. Cam - c'mon man, your like 30 miles away. Anybody else interested in a get together before the holiday's kick in?

I see 3 weekends before T-Giving 11/6, 11/13 and 11/20. I am more than happy to host a pickin' party and can accommodate quite a few. We can do a campfire outside if the weather allows, or my man-cave / music room / garage will easily handle several of us (8 or 10 even if I have to re-arrange some furniture). I've got 2 couches and 3 extra beds for anyone who wants to (or needs to) spend the night.

I know it's short notice, but I think at least a few of us could pull this off. Pix, Cam, anybody else interested? If you can make, reply with your preferred date and we'll go from there. Let's try to firm up the date by the end of the weekend, 10/31.

Family, wives, kids are welcome!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

2 (edited by Guitarpix 2010-10-28 00:35:48)

Re: Chordilina Jam

I'm in on any date smile   However if everyone is good for the 20th that would work out great for me wink  My wife and I's 13th anniversary is on the 22nd and we plan on spending a few days in the mountains....  We could stop in and spend Saturday with everyone before we mosey on up to the hills.   That said, if another day works better for everyone else, I'll still be there smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I can make it in a long days drive. Any date is good with me. Alls I have to do is get permission from the little family - especially SWAMBO (she who always must be obeyed).
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Bump smile  Figured I'd draw some more attention to this post.....   I had a hard time finding it again in the stickies.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

I've been hoping to hear from Cam, but so far nothing. Let's go ahead and firm up the date and since 11/20 works best for Pix, that sounds good to me.

Any others interested, just post here. The location is Lewisville, NC - just outside of Winston-Salem.

Looking forward to it!

Looking forward to it myself Jeff smile  Want to give me a few songs that you enjoy playing so I can check 'em out prior to the jam wink

This sounds like alot of fun,I wish I was not three thousand miles away in california,I hope all you have a great time.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

CAM - Are you out there? Sure would love to have ya.

Toots - I hope you can make, and if you can bring your tuba, do it! If it's easier for you to drive up a day ahead of time, we can make that work.

Pix - I'm not all that much better than the last time you visited. I can almost do barre chords now, and I am certainly more comfortable playing in front of others. Blues in the key of E - I will strum the hell out that all night. smile

Zurf? C'mon man, it should be only a 4 or 5 hour drive.

Anybody else? Southpaw?

Actually, it would be good to learn some common tunes. Pix - I'd like to learn Bananna Pancakes - what version do you use. And TubaT I'm sure has an awesome repertoire - I'd love to learn some of the comedic songs in his book.

Tops, I'll do a quick vid of Banana Pancakes this evening and post the link here showing how I play it......

Just brought up "Banana Pancakes" on U-Tube.
Are you referring to the Jack Johnson version?
Sounds like a laid-back fun song. I'd like to learn it.
Topdown, I have room for a tuba in my mini-van. I also have room for a small P.A. System and my vocal harmonizer pedal. Would it make sense to bring all that?
As my plans flesh out, Tops, I will shoot you an E-Mail if that is permissable.
toots

Sure toots - bring whatever you can fit - The only thing I have in the way of electronics is a 15W Crate acoustic amp (rarely used) - but I'd love to toy around with some amplification. If it's too big for the music room, we'll move it to the garage which is right besides the man cave. I've got a friend who plays the drums and I'll try to get him to drag down his kit and join us.

Feel free to email me any time.

Count me out sad

I would love to come but besides having to work it's a long drive. I would love to play with you folks , I bet you would even allow a few "Cowboy Chords"  smile

Later, Wayne P

Come on Wayne - where's your sense of adventure? I bet if you headed out now with your thumb stuck in the right direction, you would make it in plenty of time! And Cowboy Chords better be allowed or else I am out myself!

Boohoo !

I wanna be there also. Even if its only to kick back and listen to ye all..
Id bring some fine  old Jameson and a barrel of the black stuff { Guinness }

Toots any room in that auld van of yours for Old Doll ? lol

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Google says six hours, and that's about right compared to other trips I've made to Winston-Salem area.  I wouldn't count on me coming down for a weekend given how we're doing the Zurf family Thanksgivmas celebration at my house this year.  We've got a lot to do before family invades, er uh, visits.  I'm out for this one, but keep me in mind for other ones.  I'll drive twelve hours for a music party in a man-cave. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I was considering a Springtime Zurfapalooza too.  So I'll put that up.  Last time we had Jets60 and Detman101 come and it was great.  We each had very different playing styles and it all fell together just too nice for words.

But here's a little reminder:
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_N8639F1FxC0/TA2ezAfsP9I/AAAAAAAAEB8/mM9o06nRqAU/s400/DSC_0288.JPG

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Old Doll wrote:

Boohoo !

Dear lady, there will always be room for you.
Whaddya mean kick back and listen? Everyone will be anticipating hearing an Irish lass play and sing for us.
toots

Old Doll wrote:

Boohoo !

I wanna be there also. Even if its only to kick back and listen to ye all..
Id bring some fine  old Jameson and a barrel of the black stuff { Guinness }

Doll - You are welcome anytime and may stay as long as you wish (as long as you share some recipes with the Mrs smile ). Fly into Raleigh or Charlotte and I'll pick you up and promise to show you the best of Southern Hospitality.

Hey Guys,

Sounds like a great time, I'll do my best to be there though I can't say for certain just yet but I'll let you know as soon as I can. I'm not sure my meager playing ability will be good enough though, but either way I'm certain it will be great. Sorry it took me so long to reply but this slipped past me for awhile until I seen it here on this thread and then I saw your email Tops. I haven't been on much this past few days, though I was just up in Winston Salem as my Wife has a family member in Forsyth Hospital who is in really bad shape, not sure if she will make it or not. Anyway as I said I'll let you know as soon as possible. Thanks for the invite.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

^ Sorry to hear about your wife's family member. I've told you earlier, my wife works at Forsyth and our home is only a few miles away - If we can help in any way, just let us know.

I sure hope you can make it on the 20th - the wife and any other family are also welcome. Don't worry about your ability, Pix and TubaT are accomplished, but I will just be strumming along.

21 (edited by Guitarpix 2010-11-03 00:40:58)

Convey best of wishes from me too Cam...

Hope you can make the jam man! I'm looking forward to meeting you and toots in person and seeing Tops again. Yea, don't fret the ability man, it's all about having a good time! Besides, if you go you'll see fast enough how much I really suck smile I haven't been playing too long myself... almost 4 years...

Zurf, as soon as you get a date in mind let me know! I'd love to try and make this one.... If I'm welcome wink

Tops looks like the vid is a no go at the moment.... After 5 seconds the audio goes to static in everything I try to record...??? I've got tomorrow off and plan on trying to fix the problem if I can find it.....Here's the version though http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.u … ;id=166611 I play it barred but looking at the chords it should be fairly easy to play open if you prefer...

hi jeff,for us on the left coast and other far away places do you think we could see some video of the event ,I know I wouldenjoy it and I think others would. Hey cam I hope your family member gets better.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Guitarpix wrote:

Zurf, as soon as you get a date in mind let me know! I'd love to try and make this one.... If I'm welcome wink

Of course you would be welcome Pix.  I wonder if it would be fun to rent a few spaces at a campground and make it an outdoor event.  Would anyone care for that?  I know I would, but others may not enjoy being outdoors so much.  I've got tents and cots and stuff to loan to folks who haven't got gear and I have cooked for up to ten folks out of my camp kitchen.  Last time I camped, we had a kitchen, a gathering space for music, and a bar all under cover.   If we put it near a river with fish in it, perhaps Dirty Ed would come.  I know of a party on the Shenandoah River in June that includes a big feast, paddling, and it would be fun to get a bunch of spaces near one another to do some jamming during the nights. 

Cam - Best of luck to your kin.  If she's not a believer, you know what you should do. 

- Zurf

Guitarpix wrote:

Here's the version though http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.u … ;id=166611 I play it barred but looking at the chords it should be fairly easy to play open if you prefer...

The G7 chord in that arrangement sounds sucky.
Use a plain G. The rest of the chords sound O.K.
toots

I thought it sounded fine...

I bought the music for this some time back and just checked it to be sure and the progressions correct it's G7...  I just tried it with plain G and it just doesn't seem right to me. Then again I've played it with G7 for years now so I guess I'm just accustomed to that 7th sound throughout the progression....