Topic: Bored and looking for a song to learn...

Well I've got today off and am bored to death smile  Someone please throw a song out there for me to work on today!!!! I'll take the first suggestion and run with it and see what happens! Open to any style or genre but it needs to be acoustic or workable that way.... -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Re: Bored and looking for a song to learn...

Don't Think Twice , By Bob Dylan

Later, Wayne P

3 (edited by wlbaye 2010-11-05 14:36:35)

Young and Old , really like this song Pix, it's a tough one but a good one smile

Don't Think Twice and Hello In There by John Prine , Have been a work in progress for me for more than a decade and I finally
feel pretty good about them. I am gonna play them both at open mic tonight and feel comfortable doing them, but it seems it's been a long struggle.

Later, Wayne P

4 (edited by Guitarpix 2010-11-05 14:32:21)

Will do Wayne smile Believe it or not, I think this will be my first Dylan song smile I like to venture off the known path from time to time to expand my horizons wink Thanks for the suggestion! I'm checking it out now!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

5 (edited by wlbaye 2010-11-05 14:59:57)

I play this in a G shape progression capoed 2 , alot of folks play it in C , a friend I use to play with played it in the G shape so thats the way I learned it. Good luck Pix , it is not so tuff to play it has just been a tough one to remember the progression and all the lyrics without a cheat sheet.

Pix there are alot of tabs out there , This is the way I have played it for a long time and I think it is the best one for following a progression.

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.l … _twice.crd

Later, Wayne P

Lowdenjim (a friend of mine on youtube) has a series of videos for this song....  You probably don't need it or play it differently but I figured I'd pass it on in case anyone else was interested.... It's a 6 part lesson so it goes fairly in depth. Here's part one which just covers the bass line http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyeoA4l9 … re=related Part 2 starts getting a little funner...  He's playing it in E though...

Thanks again for the song! I'm having fun with it smile

Thanks for the link Wayne! Didn't see it until after I posted above smile

>>>>Someone please throw a song out there for me to work on today!!!! <<<<

How about writing one of your own?

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

I learned "Don't think twice" by Bob Dylan in key of C. I was surprised how low Dylan sings. My voice did not resonate in that key and I could not project a sound with any power.
I recently relearned it in "G" and am much more satisfied with the sound I am getting in the higher key.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I am with ya on this one Toots , I play a G shape and capo 1 ,2 or 3 now days depending on how my old vocal chords are doing smile

Later, Wayne P

Hae im not that great at playing the guitar and want to learn a good but easy song......Any suggestions would be helpful...:)

12 (edited by Guitarpix 2010-11-06 03:56:12)

Toni73 wrote:

Hae im not that great at playing the guitar and want to learn a good but easy song......Any suggestions would be helpful...:)

Hey Toni and welcome to Chordie smile I'd be happy to suggest a few songs for ya... What kind of music do you like and it would help if you'd let us now what chords you're comfortable with.

I like to recommend "American Pie" by Don McLean for those that are starting out and are looking to add some more basic chords to their arsenal.  All the Chords in the song are fairly simple and the first portion is only one strum per chord making it easy to work the changes. They're all open chords and if you take your time, look at the chords, and pay attention to your fingerings most of the changes can be done using pivots and guides to ease them. Here's a link to the chords http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/?url= … ranspose=0 As you can see it has quite a few chords and the changes are numerous but it's a great song that everyone knows and is excellent practice IMO...

What I mean by Guides and Pivots... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVJd4y33v3E

*As a side note... It's usually considered rude on forums to start a new topic in someone else's thread. It's often referred to as "stealing a thread".  This happens to be my thread and I'm not bothered by it smile But wanted you to be aware that ,in the future, it's best to start your own thread for new request. Not only is it proper forum etiquette but you'll get better and more responses to your posts this way.... I look forward to seeing you around the forums big_smile  -Pix

Hae thanks for the suggestion and i'll definately try it. Sorry about stealing the thread thing too im new to this and don't no all the 'etiquette' thank for the heads up...won't happen again...:)

Toni73 wrote:

Hae thanks for the suggestion and i'll definately try it. Sorry about stealing the thread thing too im new to this and don't no all the 'etiquette' thank for the heads up...won't happen again...:)

No Problem big_smile Glad to have you aboard smile Good luck with the song!

I jumped on "Lay Lady Lay" by Bob Dylan when it first came out. The rhythm line really kicks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n2aYUaxPCY

I believe this is the breakout song that really made Dylan's career

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Smokestack Lightning  by Howlin' Wolf! I like it on Open G.

Now available in 5G !

"Days of 49" - traditional but there are alot of version out there, Dylan did one